Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Big Top Mafia Game over town and jester victory  (Read 44882 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Big Top Mafia (9/9) Act-1 Well we need a new finale
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 07:17:32 pm »

Well i dident react becuase i had to feed my cat and do other things quick like vaccuming and dishes i don't know how to feel about it right now I'm really just trying to observe honestly and then throw down and make claims when i feel I've got decent evidence or something that i feel i need to persue.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »

Moon
And also so I don't die.
This stands out. You're concerned about being killed for having an effective day game. You're worried about appearing too town, but you're also happy to tell us that you have this worry. How important for you is staying alive in the game vs. outing scum?

Everyone Jack A T refused to talk about his actions. What do you think of this?
He was hanging on for his big post, which we all now know in retrospect.

And here's another Everyone question, but more directed to people who've played with Jack before. What is Jack's playstyle? I know BHK's post kind of answers it, but I'd like to know what you feel about it. What does it focus on?
He's on the upper end of solid Bay12 play. He asks a lot of questions, communicates in walls of quotes just like the rest of us, posts frequently but doesn't shitpost. He doesn't make obvious mistakes and he's not especially prone to suicidal gambits that I can recall. Go read one of his past games if you like. Do you think knowing player's meta is important for scum hunting?

BlackHeartKabal
Please to meet you, I don't think we've played together yet. I like that you asked everyone a question: it's something both scum and town do but at least it gets conversations started.

NQT - Do you plan to clear yourself and take lead of the town?
It'd be nice if other people clear me, but it's not necessary for my game strategy. Whether I'm cleared or not, I will try and lead the town where necessary. I tend to wrangle people to get them to vote effectively. How about you: will you lead the town? Or will you be led?

TDS
Why do you think it's not a legitimate vote this time?
It might be! But what I'm saying is it falls into a category of votes that I don't like. If the game ended right this moment with no more evidence to go on, I'd be happy with your lynch. Are you tempted to vote for the person wagoning you for wagoning?

Jack
asked a reasonable question, but quite early: there weren't exactly many reactions at that point.  Could have been assuming I would answer later, after more players posted, though.
Yeah, I pretty much figured if you had a plan going on you'd play it out to the end.

This is interesting signaling.  NQT is basically announcing that he is thinking about the game, and engaged with it.  He's not showing us his engagement and thought, or keeping his thoughts fully to himself.  He's telling us that he has thoughts.  Perhaps more importantly, he wants us to know that he has thoughts.  It's worth noting that non-engagement is one of the main scumtells he looks for.
He's promised to give these thoughts after this post.  Let's see what they are.
So things I considered in order from least to most WIFOMY:

1. You were just testing for reactions.
2. You have an ability that is triggered on being voted and so though it looks bad, you tactically voted yourself.
3. You're a jester trying to garner votes (unlikely)
4. You want us to think you're a jester so no one kills you (unlikely, but I've made that play before)

notquitethere: Tell me, why did you want everyone to know that you had thought of reasonable reasons for my self-vote?
I thought it most likely you were fishing for reactions, and if you're town and I see you have a plan then it'd be counterproductive of me to spoil the plan before it's come to fruition. Same reason you don't answer other people's questions for them. So I was acknowledging what you were doing without spoiling it, but also setting up an obligation for myself to show that I was paying attention. That make sense?

Have people reacted as you'd anticipated?
For strategic reasons, I will not answer this at this time.
I'll ask you again on Day 2 if we're both alive and there's nothing more pressing to talk about.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2016, 08:46:46 pm »

Hector
O. Wilde Hypothetical: You are the cop, and can discover another player's role during the night-phase. There are 5 players that you are interested in investigating: 2 players who have been arguing with each other for most of the day, and are voting each other; 2 players who have interjected in their argument pointing out things that were missed and asking questions of both parties involved. These players are each voting for one of the two arguing players; finally, a lurker, who hasn't really posted anything of substance. Who do you investigate, and why?
Depends on who gets lynched. If one of the two arguing players is lynched, I'd investigate one of the people pointing things out. The lurker is gonna take flak day 2 for not posting anyway, so why bother with an investigation on them just yet? I think scum would be more likely to hide on the edges of arguments, picking things apart while not really talking all that much.

TMS
Everyone Jack A T refused to talk about his actions. What do you think of this?
He refused to talk about one action. A stonewall block on talking about a RVS self vote does not a Roo make.

BHK
Tawa - Are you a lurker?

O. Wilde - You don't talk much, do you?
Preemptive lurkerhunt much? I was taking a nap, it's been 3 hours of game. You talk a lot, don't you?

ATH
O wilde I guess I like his name but I don't know their playstyles enough.
Sidenote: I played 1 (or two? I can't remember) BMs a couple years ago on these forums under the name Scelly9 if you want some cringe-worthy reading material.

BHK
I'm mostly unconcerned with you because you're Order Ovate tier unpredictable, a wild card that nobody really can keep track of, and there's no point in trying to do so.
So you're unconcerned because he could potentially make a good town or an amazing mafia player? Do you really think there's no point trying to keep track of his 'gambit-of-the-week'? Even if it's a difficult thing to do, shouldn't we at least be trying to hold him accountable for whatever crap he ends up pulling?
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2016, 09:03:18 pm »

BlackHeartKabal
Please to meet you, I don't think we've played together yet. I like that you asked everyone a question: it's something both scum and town do but at least it gets conversations started.

It'd be nice if other people clear me, but it's not necessary for my game strategy. Whether I'm cleared or not, I will try and lead the town where necessary. I tend to wrangle people to get them to vote effectively. How about you: will you lead the town? Or will you be led?
Lovely to meet you too. If I end up clear, which I doubt, I'll wrangle people, yeah, but the town works best collectively instead of having one person decide things.  I prefer to be a follower, because a leader doesn't have the time to sit back and observe, but I'll take control if nobody else will.
BHK
I'm mostly unconcerned with you because you're Order Ovate tier unpredictable, a wild card that nobody really can keep track of, and there's no point in trying to do so.
So you're unconcerned because he could potentially make a good town or an amazing mafia player? Do you really think there's no point trying to keep track of his 'gambit-of-the-week'? Even if it's a difficult thing to do, shouldn't we at least be trying to hold him accountable for whatever crap he ends up pulling?
I'd like to assume that someone else who knows exactly what he pulls would be better fit to keep an eye on him. But sometimes a townie or mafioso has to be creative to win, and depending on what he is, he could either be an amazing asset or a priority target. I'm unconcerned because I assume someone more qualified to be watching him would be.

O. Wilde - What do you think of lurkers?

NQT - What do you think the role of a Vanilla townie, Vigilante, Doctor, and Cop is during the day?

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2016, 09:29:59 pm »

maybe the story is that one circus performer is a traitor and as such mafia and theirs also a non circus performer mafia member or something?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 09:46:35 pm »

Wait, does everyone have a role? On the OP, there are 8 'actors', so I'm assuming that those are the roles. But we have 9 players... so... 1 vanilla townie? Or something else?
read it again, there are 9 roles listed.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2016, 09:49:03 pm »

Wait, does everyone have a role? On the OP, there are 8 'actors', so I'm assuming that those are the roles. But we have 9 players... so... 1 vanilla townie? Or something else?

The dazzling trapeze duo who flies through the air without a care in the world (2 Trapeze Artists)
The graceful tightrope walker who balances on a thin wire without a net (1 Tightrope Walker)
The man who is strong enough to lift 10,000lbs (1 Strongman)
The fearless lion tamer who will stick not one arm but TWO inside the mouth of the beast (1 Lion Tamer)
Bingo and Bongo, a pair of clowns that will leave you rolling around on the floor laughing (2 Clowns)
A mysterious hypnotist that can make you do whatever he wants (1 Hypnotist)
A magician born half-sized, but don't tell that to his face (1 Magician)

9 roles.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 10:26:54 pm »

You're assuming things. .1.  I chose not to interact with you because I didn't have any questions for you at the time .2., and why comment on your actions when others already have? I'm mostly unconcerned with you because you're Order Ovate tier unpredictable, a wild card that nobody really can keep track of, and there's no point in trying to do so. Depending on whether you're town or mafia, this is either a good thing or a bad thing, if your gambit-of-the-week is successful. The only question I really want to ask you is what are you planning .3., but you're not going to answer me, at least not truthfully, so there's no point.
BlackHeartKabal:
1. Oh?  What do you think I am assuming?
2. You were out of "favourite role"-level questions to ask?
3. A Criminology essay, model NATO strategies, some scumhunting, reading, which ferry to take...
As for my unpredictability/gambitiness/wild-card-nature, I can see how you got that impression, but I wouldn't really consider myself that sort of player.  Occasional gambits, not routine.
If I end up clear, which I doubt, I'll wrangle people, yeah, but the town works best collectively instead of having one person decide things.  I prefer to be a follower, because a leader doesn't have the time to sit back and observe, but I'll take control if nobody else will.
Interesting.  Will we see a lot of open discussion of people's cases from you?

(and as you just pointed out, not answering is an answer)
The Moonlit Shadow: Not quite what I said, but alright.  What do the failures to answer tell you?
'Suicidal man' thing was a joke, but also meant to call attention to you as well.
You felt my self-vote needed more attention?
What is Jack's playstyle?
Bland, but competent, B12-typicalish play.  Usually.  Why do you ask?

NQT: Regarding your signal, makes sense.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 11:22:09 pm »

TDS - How's it feel being voted for bandwagoning?

Cool, since I'm now being bandwagoned for bandwagoning.
So you admit to bandwagoning?

People think I'm bandwagoning, so they're voting for me. Do you think I'm bandwagoning? Do you think the vote matters at this stage of the game?

TheDarkStar did not engage, and later identified my second post (and by extension my first) as a crazy gambit.

TheDarkStar: You identified my actions as a gambit.  What made you decide not to engage?

I've seen rational players get jester roles and do silly things (*cough* NQT *cough*). It's also completely uncharacteristic of your playstyle and so it's probably a deliberate gambit rather than bad play.

And here's another Everyone question, but more directed to people who've played with Jack before. What is Jack's playstyle? I know BHK's post kind of answers it, but I'd like to know what you feel about it. What does it focus on?

His play is very rational. Except for his first few posts in this game - I have no idea what he's doing.

TDS
Why do you think it's not a legitimate vote this time?
It might be! But what I'm saying is it falls into a category of votes that I don't like. If the game ended right this moment with no more evidence to go on, I'd be happy with your lynch. Are you tempted to vote for the person wagoning you for wagoning?

I do indeed have the gut reaction "someone voted for me and so I should vote back!". Except reaction voting is bad scumhunting.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2016, 08:25:20 am »

You're assuming things. .1.  I chose not to interact with you because I didn't have any questions for you at the time .2., and why comment on your actions when others already have? I'm mostly unconcerned with you because you're Order Ovate tier unpredictable, a wild card that nobody really can keep track of, and there's no point in trying to do so. Depending on whether you're town or mafia, this is either a good thing or a bad thing, if your gambit-of-the-week is successful. The only question I really want to ask you is what are you planning .3., but you're not going to answer me, at least not truthfully, so there's no point.
BlackHeartKabal:
1. Oh?  What do you think I am assuming?
2. You were out of "favourite role"-level questions to ask?
3. A Criminology essay, model NATO strategies, some scumhunting, reading, which ferry to take...
As for my unpredictability/gambitiness/wild-card-nature, I can see how you got that impression, but I wouldn't really consider myself that sort of player.  Occasional gambits, not routine.
If I end up clear, which I doubt, I'll wrangle people, yeah, but the town works best collectively instead of having one person decide things.  I prefer to be a follower, because a leader doesn't have the time to sit back and observe, but I'll take control if nobody else will.
.4. Interesting.  Will we see a lot of open discussion of people's cases from you?
1. I don't know what you're assuming, I'm not Jack A.T. You're assuming something, clearly, and that's taking you somewhere else.
2. I do not ask the same questions twice, it's hard to get true answers when you do that.
3. I don't know if you're telling the truth or not, but I'll work with this assumption today.
4. If I notice something that should be said that nobody else is saying, I'll pipe up. Other than that, discussion on people's cases should be left to them.

TDS - How's it feel being voted for bandwagoning?

Cool, since I'm now being bandwagoned for bandwagoning.
So you admit to bandwagoning?

People think I'm bandwagoning, so they're voting for me. Do you think I'm bandwagoning? Do you think the vote matters at this stage of the game?

It is if you're bandwagoning, which you've admit to doing.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2016, 01:54:55 pm »

I'm available to replace in for Tawa if you need someone.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2016, 02:04:46 pm »

I'm available to replace in for Tawa if you need someone.
sure, sending you pm now
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »

I'll drop a vote on TDS just now, while I have the time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2016, 02:46:51 pm »

EBWOP TDS, for lack of colors
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2016, 03:09:16 pm »

That was quick. Let's see...

hector:
Tawa Pre-game, which role were you hoping to get and why?
I wasn't hoping to get any role because I wasn't expecting to be in this game.

BHK:
Tawa - Are you a lurker?
No.

I think that's all the questions put to me, so here are a few:

TMS:
One of us is the one. Everyone is suspect, no one is to be trusted with your life.
That's some interesting wording. I haven't seen any reason to believe there's only one person on the scum team, nor anything that would make you jump to that conclusion unless you had prior knowledge of the scumteam's makeup.

Jack, if you had a one shot daykill and the mafia ate your baby, what would you do? More seriously, why end your gambit so quickly if the aim was to judge people's reactions to it?

ATH, I'm not seeing much in the way of substance from you at the moment; most if not all of your post just seem to be stream of consciousness without any attempt to actually advance the game state. Do you think that TDS is scummy for voting for you? What's your opinion about Jack's reaction test?

BHK:
What is it that you think NQT needs to clear himself of? There wasn't any case on him prior to you saying this.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30