Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Arms Race - 1784: Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy Design Phase  (Read 10095 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Arms Race - 1784: Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy Design Phase
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:58:08 pm »

Previous Thread
OOC Thread
Greetings Engineers. I congratulate you on your successes. We are advancing on all fronts against the Atterton Monarchy, and our forces repelled the British with ease. However, we cannot allow them control over our waters. You must keep up the pressure against Atterton and strike back against the Loyalists.

Our spies were able to secure detailed blueprints of the Loyalist “Dover Class Transport”. Just in time for these trade offers as well.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:45:40 pm by Kashyyk »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race - 1982: Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy Design Phase
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:50:33 pm »

Kashyyk, I think you forgot to add our rightfully stolen wagonways to the stats. Also, I suspect that our artillery was less numerous becauase of that

Also, Coombe mini-Cannon disappeared from our tech list
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 02:09:22 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 04:34:38 am »

Ooooh, neato. (Yes, this is a PTW).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 04:36:40 am »

Arms Race - 1783: International//OOC Thread

"our rightfully stolen" I love the sound of this sentence :D

Design, my suggestions (I'm not voting this time I need to get a hang of it first, just a suggestion)
- baloons on hot air, it's not very difficult design to make, no hydrogen needed or engine. These could be used for recon (both sea and land) and morale (look they can fly!) plus occassional dropping propaganda leaflets behind enemy lines. Also, even if tied to the ground by a line of some sort these could provide quite a significal local reconeissance/lookout. Obligatorily with a flags system (quickly passing the information to the ground).

- do we have a transportation bootleneck? If yes I would go for canals + river freighters system. These won't be obsolete even after railway since water is still the cheapest form of transport and there is an aboundance of rivers and lakes on the mainland.

- Whateley Cavalry Pistol MkII modification. Since cavalry is our strong point why not make them even stronger? Make it cheaper and allow removable ammo canisters (which is especially good since cavalry has a lot of spare carrying capacity on the horse, like could attach several of those to the saddle and then replace these when they retreat from combat, which again is easy due to superior mobility; also it counters the "less shots per tank" weakness of the MKII version). As we are at it how about some small horse powered air pump? It could be used on the field to replenish ammo canisters.

Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - classic RPG (topic)
Stellar Monarch - 4X, no micromanagement, turn based (topic)
Homepage: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilverLemur

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 04:49:36 am »

My suggestion:

Design: We need to keep the pressure on Atterton: Better Artillery to out-range their Howitzers. A Von Karsten 12-pdr and explosive shots? Or an howitzer too?

Revision:Not 100% sure. Revising our gunboats for better attrition of the brits could be nice. Or maybe the transport.

Espionage: Steal that British Rifle. It's expensive crap, but the tech system (where things get cheap on their own) mean that the sooner we get it, the sooner we get cheap tech for a better rifle. The Victoria was great, but that is the next thing.

Alternatively, steal the Howitzer, design grenades.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:32:04 am »

Proposal: Powder Ammunition.
Take a standard Victoria round, drill through it, fill the hole with blasting powder, seal it over with wax.
If the ammunition bounces off of anything, say a rifle, or cannon, they it shakes violently and sprays the powder around its vicinity.
Needless to say, if there is live powder scattered around, it is risky to produce sparks...

Alternatively, do the same thing but with clay pellets so that they shatter if they hit pretty much anything, though these would be much less lethal if they struck the enemy. A mix of multiple ammunition types fired in succession might produce nice results...

Given that this ammunition would works best in bulk, to reach a critical mass at which it is no longer safe to ignite firearms, I propose a weapon that can deliver ammunition in bulk...
Haddam Cannon: Basically a scaled-up whately pistol. It comes with a two-man pumping apparatus designed to be sunk into the ground and operated as though rowing a boat. A third man operates monitors the pressure and ammunition, a fourth operator aims and uses a lever attached to a mechanism to seal the air supply and halt the ammunition-feed.
The rowing contraption is a spring-loaded bellows attaches to a rope with a pair(or two pairs for redundancy) of one-way valves that pulls air from inside as it is released and carried back by the spring, and forces air into the weapon's reservoir as it bellows is pulled closed by ropes attached to a board that is pulled back by the men in the rowing contraption.
 The pressure monitor is a simple bag that is compressed by the pressure and pushes a meter out along a sealed tube. and ammunition is open and visible and just dumped in the top, relying upon a tube and a reinforced rotary wheel to keep the ammunition orderly.
 The inability to pause firing is overcome by the brute-force that is applicable by scaling it up. A lever allows a single operator to apply enough force to clamp a vice around the ammunition feeding wheel and to crush the flow from the reservoir.

This should allow sustained high pressure and ammunition feeding. With some minutes of preparation, ideally including a shield to protect the additional operators at their stations and the aimer's lower torso and legs, it should be possible to establish an extremely lethal firing piece. The range would be a problem, but on boarding actions, in terrain that prevents long-range engagements, within prepared ambushes, or used to discourage charges, it should be extremely effective and with a bit of luck its pressure can be increase to allow for greater range. Not to mention that if all it needs to do is to shatter clay powder-rounds then it could probably do that over a still greater range.

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 05:35:30 am »

Mmmmmh, apparently "tech gets cheap over time" ain't a thing anymore.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 05:37:39 am »

The Americans, wanting to solidify their position as a rising power, are looking for a design to improve their naval capabilities. This could be a ship, armament or something else relevant. In return, they offer 1 shipment of iron.
I am tempted to try and go for this with our first naval design\revision. Mostly to deny our enemies a chance to get it

Naval plan A
Design: 2 pounder light cannon
Uses the Van Karten system Comes in three variants: a) stationary, to give forts additional punch against assaulting infantry. b) in a two-wheeled carriage to be towed by a horse(s). c) Naval.  Optimize it to canister shot but try retain ability to fire cannonballs. Must be cheap.

With intention to revise Dover class brig into Montgomery class brig
Remove 6 pounders. Add one forward facing 8 pounder and 6 mobile 2 pounders.  Improve its sails to make it faster. keep the large cargo hold that. Vessel is meant to be used in 2 roles:  intended roles are transport ship that can outrun enemy and raider ship that can defeat undefended transports.

What I want to achieve:

a) Get more artillery experience before getting 10\12\16 pounder gun
b) Make our forces more mobile.
c) Make assaulting former fort Combe a suicide, making it a great centre of operation. d) Adapt the stolen design to our artillery because it is defenceless with original 6 pounders
e) Get a ship that is unpleasant to board by pirates or enemy factions. They may sunk it but fail to board.  2 pounders, coopers, Vicoria's Whateley.
f) In the same time this ship can sprint to the enemy and board him
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race - 1983: Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy Design Phase
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 05:46:34 am »

Maybe we should define what our goals are for now? I think we should use the leeway we have in the East to focus on taking the NPC.

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev
Re: Arms Race - 1783: Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy Design Phase
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 06:17:27 am »

Strategy
I'm worried when I look at the map, we don't have a plan it seems. There are west and east parts of the island. West is the fighting ground with loyalists (eventually they will make a landing) while east is safe. Therefore east is more valuable. The big strategic thing would be to make loyalists land on the monarchy side of the island, let them kill each other. It can decide the whole campaign.

I would draw a line between Montgomery and Ft Cobe and defend it (I would be even willing to sacriface Montgomery if we were to gain Newton in exchange, but not Ft Combe, it must be our at all cost). Give some of the west territory to monarchy let them worry how to defend it from loyalists. Instead go for Newton or take care of Ft Alton which basically is in the middle of our territory. Our goal should be the east and taking control of the north of the middle lake (eventually making it our inner lake when we surround it).

Short term orders Bradford to Newton attack (priority), then maybe Bradford to Ft Alton (depending on diplomatic status, maybe we want to keep them neutral and harrasing monarchy a bit longer)?

Other interesting designs (previously suggested)
- flamethrower, it indeed makes sense and shares tech with our air technology, but do we have access to oil of some sort?
- "Get a ship that is unpleasant to board by pirates or enemy factions. They may sunk it but fail to board." - I like it, but we are talking about a merchant ship, right? Since that's what we need. The key is to not spend much on navy, just enough to secure some trade income.
- Haddam Cannon: Basically a scaled-up whately pistol - sounds great, but only if it has a range of 200-300 minimum. There is no point for a short range almost stationary machine gun. Remember it will be used against the imperial rifle so it absolutelly can't have a shorter range. The weight must be reasonable so it can still be used (team weapon of course, carried in parts, maybe towed by horses) by infantry not just in forts. It must be mobile.
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - classic RPG (topic)
Stellar Monarch - 4X, no micromanagement, turn based (topic)
Homepage: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilverLemur

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 06:23:47 am »

Well, we can't really get new resources, the only medium-term bonus I see us getting is invading Ft. Alton for their designs. They got a nice long-range gun and that shield might be marginally useful.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 06:31:48 am »

NPC is not only our enemy but it is also an enemy for Monarchists. Note that our weapons are good enough to not fail badly should fort Combe decide to attack us. Not sure that same can be said about Monarchists because they lack cavalry weapon. I really want to keep pushing Monarchists on the western front.

I like it, but we are talking about a merchant ship, right?
It is more like a hybrid that can be used for "go close quickly and board bastard" . But yep, its main goal is trading.

The key is to not spend much on navy, just enough to secure some trade income.
While I don't mind focusing on land warfare, I think that 1 revision\design per 2-3 turns is essential to not lag behind horribly. Note that the ship we stole is nothing but undergunned version of the best loyalists' ship. If we wish we can catch up with a single design action.

They got a nice long-range gun and that shield might be marginally useful.
Not something to achieve in one turn. And monarchists can steal the frag.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 06:39:21 am »

Agreed that revision on the trade ship for trade goods might be good. However, I for one am perfectly glad to let the British and Atterton fleet fight each others as planned.

How about a design for more resources (steam train) if we can't agree on what nee designing most? Also, I think we can expect Ft. Alton to attack us next turn, because the GM will want to avoid looking like he's targeting the Monarchy.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 07:04:24 am »

GM can throw d2 for things like NPC attacks.

Steam train.... I doubt we can do it with zero steam experience. First steam locomotive was created in 1804 after all. Monarchists way is little more viable, but still. Also, if we want to play marginal navy strategy, then there are little reason to get steam engine.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 07:05:42 am »

- flamethrower, it indeed makes sense and shares tech with our air technology, but do we have access to oil of some sort?
- "Get a ship that is unpleasant to board by pirates or enemy factions. They may sunk it but fail to board." - I like it, but we are talking about a merchant ship, right? Since that's what we need. The key is to not spend much on navy, just enough to secure some trade income.
We can just use wood turpentine or Veg oil.

Strategy
- Haddam Cannon: Basically a scaled-up whately pistol - sounds great, but only if it has a range of 200-300 minimum. There is no point for a short range almost stationary machine gun. Remember it will be used against the imperial rifle so it absolutelly can't have a shorter range.
Does it have to?
How many of those rifle will actually get made? we face a 200 meter threat from it, and it's slow.
We can just rush in take the loss's from it first and least accurate shot and get in to range where our weapons are much better.

Can we make the Haddam Cannon smaller? it's just a little to large right now for anything other than fixed defence or artillery.
What about makeing it a Victoria/ Whateley Pistol combo for assaults, we just have to work out some kind of disconnect to prevent runaway auto fire.
Maybe it cam use two air reservoirs at once?

For more range we can:
A) use larger balls for greater range at the cost of less shots.
B) try to up the power of our shots, once more this will cost us shots and probable a few failed rifles.
C) shape the balls to try and cut down on drag.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11