Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More tooltips  (Read 3209 times)

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
More tooltips
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:05:15 pm »

The tooltips for stuff like instrument pieces are actually really cool. If every option on the menu had a tooltip, I think it would be a huge help to new players, and would be a simple enough UI change that it won't make adding new features anymore difficult.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More tooltips
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:00 pm »

I totally support this, but it may be up to modders to do the work for now, because a) it's in the raws and b) it's an interface feature. It sounds like a perfect addition to the Modest Mod (or at least a Modest Module).
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:09:15 pm »

Okay, I whipped this up for the Modest Mod (if Button like it), but I'll post it here too. I put in tooltips for most of the vanilla reactions that are described in the raws. Thoughts?
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 08:33:31 am »

To elaborate on this, it is not something I'd like just for creating items, but as well avoiding mysterious and 'fun' starving lessons in watching starving for quarter an hour by, say, up/down ramps having green or yellow "Needs adjacent wall to traverse up/down" depending if they're usable or unusable, and similarly for stairs needing another stair beneath/above, etc.

Building farm giving guide of "need soil/muddy stone, mud is left by water" is pretty great example.

(PS: As for the raw tweaks of @Zarathustra30 , I checked with diffchecker on adding them and smelter is entirely replacable while the reaction_other needs to avoid overwriting carving tasks at the end (line 439) in ver 42.06. However, no new tooltips in game after copypasting in after making backups, albeit reading the files themselves did give new(to me) information. That said, having to mod it in halfway misses the mark. )

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 04:17:59 am »

I saw this ingame and was surprised; only the instruments had a tooltip while everything else was just bare.

I assumed they were recently added as a result of new functionality with UI design. (new player)

Would be great if everything else had them too, as one of the biggest problems with diving into the game is the learning curve.

I'll try to check out that mod though; looks interesting, though maybe not compatible with an old save for its main features..  Kinda sucks if we have to use it just to get tooltips.

Edit: We can just copy the reaction files (barring the material changes, unless you want them) and it will work.  Except, if you have an active WORLD, you must copy them to the raw/objects folder in that region's folder.  This is why it wasn't working.

Running happily with some tooltips now on a vanilla game; yay.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:35:06 am by DAOWAce »

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 12:36:09 am »

However, no new tooltips in game after copypasting in after making backups, )
Discovered why they weren't working.

We had to copy the reaction files to the raw/objects folder in our currently created world's region's folder.  Just using the base raw folder only works when you create a new world, because it pulls from there.

Running happily with some tooltips now on a vanilla game; yay.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 03:26:50 am »

Yeah, that works. Thanks!