Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hobby-Enhancing Workout Plans/Methods?  (Read 585 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Hobby-Enhancing Workout Plans/Methods?
« on: January 01, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »

I don't think this belongs in Life Advice, so w/e, but yeah. I'm rather having a drought of ideas at the moment, and this puts a damper to my skills. Anybody got tips on how to maintain and actually get beyond the ever so dreaded "Writer's Block*?"

Tell me how you maintain your skills to keep them in working order.

*Not necessarily exclusive to writing.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Hobby-Enhancing Workout Plans/Methods?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 07:31:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure persistence with your work is a good option.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:39:31 pm »

Listen to this guy.

Make it a habit, not a stroke of luck. It's not easy but it's doable.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:28:04 pm »

hmmmm try to imagine stuff related to whatever project you're working. it helps to put the mind on work, eventually inspiration should come sooner or later.

or at least that's what i do, inspiration cant be forced, but you can put your brain to chew on stuff you had already thought and usually something comes out of it like a spark. then you start thinking on that spark and it grows to become an idea on its own.

as for keeping along with your projects. well, i say try to keep it in between "DO IT, JUST DO IT" and "take your time". forcing yourself to keep up with the project will eventually bore you down to laziness. try to take your time developing it, like, think of stuff you can add to it or problems you need to fix on it while not working on it. thinking on stuff while doing other stuff usually helps to spawn small momentos of subit inspiration.

kinda like dwarf moods. if you want to look it like that. one instant you're doing the dishes, start wondering about your project and boom!, you have got yourself a pretty interesting idea to add to it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:33:15 pm by xaritscin »