Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode : Rumor System UI improvement script  (Read 4172 times)

1337G4mer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode : Rumor System UI improvement script
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:46:52 am »

Hi,

I wrote a small utility that helps me with the annoying menu of current rumor system. Hope Toady fixes that soon, until then I will use this.

Issue: In the current system after a relatively small adventuring your talk menu for "Bring up specific incident or rumor" gets filled up with lots of information. I had like 200+ pages of kea, kestrel , dingoes etc. Finding a specific kill of a megabeast, colossus, titan was annoying.

Requirements: dfhack , dfusion plugin

tested in version 0.42.03

Code commented for usage, refer below.

Next Todo:
If possible automate running of this every time we choose the rumor menu. I will look into that, or someone can redirect me on how to.
This just does the basic feature I needed it to do, maybe you can play around to improve it further. Share your changes too.

Code: [Select]
-- Improve "Bring up specific incident or rumor" menu in Adventure mode
--@ module = true
--[[=begin

rumors
============
Improve "Bring up specific incident or rumor" menu in Adventure mode

=end]]

--========================
-- Author : 1337G4mer on bay12 and reddit
-- Version : 0.2
-- Description : A small utility based on dfhack to improve the rumor UI in adventure mode.
--
-- Usage: Save this code as rumors.lua file in your /hack/scripts/ folder
-- In game when you want to boast about your kill to someone. Start conversation and choose
-- the menu "Bring up specific incident or rumor"
-- type rumors in dfhack window and hit enter. Or do the below keybind and use that directly from DF window.
-- Optional One time setup : run below command at dfhack command prompt once to setup easy keybind for this
-- keybinding add Ctrl-A@dungeonmode/ConversationSpeak rumors
--
-- Prior Configuration: (you can skip this if you want)
-- Set the three boolean values below and play around with the script as to how you like
-- improveReadability = will move everything in one line
-- addKeywordSlew = will add a keyword for filtering using slew, making it easy to find your kills and not your companion's
-- shortenString = will further shorten the line to = slew "XYZ" ( "n time" ago in " Region")
--=======================
function rumorUpdate()
improveReadability = true
addKeywordSlew = true
shortenString = true

for i, choice in ipairs(df.global.ui_advmode.conversation.choices) do
if choice.choice.type == 118 then
titleLength = #choice.title
if improveReadability then
if titleLength == 3 then
inputTitleStr = choice.title[0].value..' '..choice.title[1].value..choice.title[2].value
choice.title[0].value = inputTitleStr
choice.title[1].value = ''
choice.title[2].value = ''
else
inputTitleStr = choice.title[0].value..' '..choice.title[1].value
choice.title[0].value = inputTitleStr
end
end
if shortenString then
summaryStr = string.gsub(inputTitleStr, "Summarize the conflict in which","")
occurStr = string.gsub(summaryStr, "This occurred +","")
if titleLength == 3 then
choice.title[0].value = occurStr
choice.title[2].value = ''
else
choice.title[0].value = occurStr
end
end
if addKeywordSlew then
if string.find(choice.title[0].value, "slew") then
choice.keywords[1].value=("slew")
end
end
end
end
end

rumorUpdate()

I was able to do this because of this awesome community. I have been a lurker for a few years, just created account today to share this. Hope you like it. Go easy as this is my first post  :D

Screenshot :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: Typo and screenshot
Edit: Updated with v 0.2 removed dfusion , Thanks Max and lethosor

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:13:01 am by 1337G4mer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode : Rumor System UI improvement script
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 05:06:15 am »

Outstanding start! It should be in the utilities/3rd party tools subforum, and I think automating it would be possible using similar tricks to what Putnam did with his Sparking! mod.

I would just use a keybind for it, though this was way more handy in 40.24, fame spreads much better in 42.04 happily.

Still very cool, I will poke around at it some.

You can also just put it in your df/hack/scripts folder, I'd name it something like rumors.lua myself.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:19:55 am »

Yup, I'll fiddle with it some more and see if I can have it load up automatically if I don't get beaten to it but it works just fine saved as df/hack/scripts/rumors.lua though I did need to add an argument (i.e. rumors addKeywordSlew works, rumors by itself didn't) but I'll fix that when I'm more awake tomorrow.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:57:50 pm »

Yeah, dfusion is mostly obsolete (one or two things haven't been ported to the main DFHack lua system). You can just save that file to "hack/scripts/[scriptname].lua", then run "[scriptname]" in the normal DFHack console.

You might want to get rid of "This occurred " (note the space) instead of "This occurred" with gsub() to avoid the extra spaces showing up before the opening parentheses. ("This occurred +" would be even better if it's possible for multiple spaces to show up after "occurred" sometimes.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 07:03:02 pm »

Still a very neat little idea huh, in hindsight I'm surprised I never tried that since I've messed with convo options after I saw Rumrusher do the invoke trick.

1337G4mer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:05:29 am »

Thanks, Glad you guys liked it.

PS: Updated OP with new version including changes.

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:41:56 pm »

It's looking great I play a lot of adventure moxe recently and it would help me a big ti.e.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:57:42 pm »

Why the hell is this hidden so deep? It is a must-have for adventure mode! Requesting inclusion into the official DFhack distributive.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:43:47 pm »

I've added it to the DFHack issue tracker, and I'll try to get to it soon™.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 04:35:32 pm »

This should be in the next release as "adv-rumors", with a few improvements (such as getting rid of the blank lines between choices, and not getting rid of existing keywords to add "slew").