Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What version do people play Adventure Mode?  (Read 2753 times)

12doze12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What version do people play Adventure Mode?
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:52:04 am »

Which version do you play on?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: What version do people play Adventure Mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 11:26:06 am »

The most recent version always has some fun features, but unless I've generated a really interesting world I just go with 0.34.11. It's hard having less advanced combat, and no movement and attack speed split, but the fact that quests actually work is just such a big deal.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 11:57:49 am »

42.04 atm, quests work fine now, hell, I don't even have to tell people what I did anymore to be recognized, all 34.11 did was put a game-y layer on the fame system, it was stripped out when it no longer fit the updated rumor/recognition stuff, I mean, how would you even go about getting a quest to become a legendary dancer and poet... who kills dragons on the side?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:03:18 pm »

The most recent version always has some fun features, but unless I've generated a really interesting world I just go with 0.34.11. It's hard having less advanced combat, and no movement and attack speed split, but the fact that quests actually work is just such a big deal.
quest bit kinda got fixed when you can tell stories of your actions but old school quests kinda been done away in that people don't really like murderers and only feel slight Relieved when a potential threat that recently attack them is killed. oh and there's different quests to go on than just murdering folks like the quest to cause trouble for a different group which could be given to you if you're a hearthsperson.
mostly the new version is great for building up your fame in other ways like playing music and writing stories or books and you can retire in your fort now and fulfill needs so killing isn't always the option you can do in adventure mode.
like I would say go back to 21.xx.xx.40d version if you want to quest around than 31.11 since you can spend time hunting down folks who wander around the map than just an empty barren travel map where you could get ambushed.
edit: oh looks like max beat me on the quest update.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

12doze12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 12:17:14 pm »

I like the new system, looks much more realistic and feels less game-like than just quests.

I can't wait for companions guiding to a location to be fixed and work properly.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 01:06:41 pm »

Well when I say quests working I mean more than just the recognition system. The quest log is a bit better and you can get people to actually fight you. People also took more than just one broken toe to pass out as well, which made combat a lot more fun as there's far less basically instant kills.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 01:27:42 pm »

The rumor search is still frustratingly limited, and discouragingly spammy. At least now you can tell stories, but even then you have to keep track of long and cumbersome names, or remember all the sites and regions you did something brave in.

I'm playing 42.04, which finally has thriving cities, commerce, culture, characters. I actually liked the warzone cities of previous versions, but I did not like seeing every city without exception being a hobbled wreckage of civilization. It's nice having at least some shops and taverns open, which previous versions were far too lacking in.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 01:32:52 pm »

the new version also gives another chance to look into what the character is currently feeling through expressing their current emotions.
which gives a list of actions or events they seen or witness, and npcs can do the same aswell.
also the new argue function allows for people to converse and change others minds on subjects.
I wonder if it's possible to convince an elf that nature sucks and make it easier to trade wooden items to them.
there's even a better rescue kids option where they show the end results of returning a kid to their spouse.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 02:53:51 pm »

I hope you meant parent and not spouse, or did you mean the parent you bring the kid to shows their spouse?

I've yet to rescue a kid in this version because they're all escaping and playing pretend.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:06:49 pm »

I hope you meant parent and not spouse, or did you mean the parent you bring the kid to shows their spouse?

I've yet to rescue a kid in this version because they're all escaping and playing pretend.
I meant to say the family member if you bring the kid to any of their family members you get a scene.
whoops.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 10:32:48 pm »

I just rescued some adult prisoners. Much easier to handle than kids. They came running down the street out of the smoke of an insurrection I was trying to avoid (some sort of religious group was being taken over by...a bunch of dwarves I think. Every race was involved making it rather confusing).

Took one chap back to his father who was easy to find (he wanted to see his sister, but she was murdered a couple of years back). We performed a celebratory wardance together. Then I ran off to the inn to tell everyone the story of what a legendary hero I am.

The other prisoner will be harder. A bit of research reveals that of his four siblings, two are dead, one is a goblin with a couple of murders to her name, and the other is prisoner in some dark pits (probably soon to be a goblin). His father is dead and his mother is a mercenary. She was last seen visiting a town on the far side of the world (large world, heavily populated).

I left him in the marketplace of his hometown, said I'd be back later. Then got drunk with my companions and planned our journey...

Latest version, having a great time. Hopefully after Toady's cleaned things up a bit, more people will find out how fun it is.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:36:33 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 02:55:30 am »

I'm playing 42.04. The ability to fully customize your character and have better roleplay (for me) trumps everything else.

The one big thing since 34.11 that's required a little bit of modding is the power of ranged weapons. While I don't want the railguns of yore, I do want better punch per shot, and that's fairly important if you like playing archer/ranger on your characters. While you can play with the underpowered bows, you tend to do a lot more volume shooting. Volume works mechanically, but RP-wise is meh. On the other side of it- I did like getting one-shotted by enemy archers. That risk was always appealing.

A thing that's always been broken for ranged is the timing issue between firing, reloading and being active. My memory of this is likely off, but I recall the delay being less vast in 34.11, though it was even then better to sneak into range, and frame the screen for the highest distance.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 09:51:59 am »

I use 42.04, the world just feels really alive with taverns and libraries.

There's still some discipline issues in a non-modded game but not as much as 40.x. You can still mod discipline adjustments though, which helps immensely. I've seen massive brawls in the city streets due to one reason or another.

Fame also has some issues but myself I don't care much for that, considering that you can still get large amounts of followers by recruiting them into a troupe.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 10:55:32 am »

And...legends informs me that I, in fact, rescued a tundra titan.
Um...ok. Will be uploading a save of that one later for further investigation...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 10:06:27 pm »

Playing around in a thriving human civ that actually has paved roads that show up as paved even in the world map (dark grey instead of white) and the island is full of cities. Its great, like the roman empire. Trying to cause a civil ar, success is limited right now but i have overthrown two lords.

Created a puppet government in a hamlet and this happened.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:14:21 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: [1] 2