Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tile-set Graphic Issues w/Text  (Read 2619 times)

Nudibranch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tile-set Graphic Issues w/Text
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:47:06 pm »

Hi all. 

I am having a bit of an issue with tilesets and text.  Whichever tileset I seem to install, I am getting issues with some (or all in the case of WIP) of the characters.  Most notably the punctuation....such as , or '. 

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to see if there was something on the forums and Google, but haven't really found anything.  I have tried a number of different graphic settings and just cannot figure it out.  Anyone know what I am doing wrong?  Have tried this with manual installs on 42.04, as well as with using MacNewbie (42.03 I believe).  All tilesets have similar issues.

I am on a Macbook Pro w/Retina

Some samples:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Appreciate any help!

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tile-set Graphic Issues w/Text
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:39:21 pm »

I'm guessing you were using a starter pack before which had dfhack and text will be text installed so you don't understand that in the old days before momma and poppa had a baby called dfhack and dfhack started sleeping with twbt that is how the tilesets looked.

There is an unofficial dfhack version for the latest release but the only non buggy one is only for 40.24. There is a twbt version for 42.03 but that dfhack version could corrupt saves.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:00:46 pm »

It does sound like a reliance on a DFHack feature based on what LeoCean said.

All tilesets have similar issues.

I am not sure how many you tried or what size you are looking for, but there are plenty of character tilesets that do not alter the characters that often represent the ground ( ,.`' ). You could find one you like and even take it a step further and tailor it to your aesthetics.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Nudibranch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »

I am completely new to playing DF, so my original install was the download directly from bay12.  Don't think DFHack is part of that(?).  Since then I also tried using MacNewbie, which I know does have a version of dfhack.

The ones I tried recently were WIP, Ironhand, Phoebus, & Spacefox.  Although what you said does seem to be playing a factor....tried Deuer just now and seem to be having much less issues. 

Sounds like I should maybe downgrade to a lower version of df, or just continue to play with it as is and live with the artifacts.

You could find one you like and even take it a step further and tailor it to your aesthetics.

This is something that interests me very much and have just started looking into how to do this.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:24:31 am »

You can enable TrueType (F12, I think?) for some of the text.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Nudibranch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:28:55 pm »

True type help a bunch.

Thanks!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:21:39 pm »

The more graphically ambitious tilesets like Spacefox, Phoebus and so on replace key characters which make the game look nice at the expense of messing up the text. TWBT helped solve this issue and truetype kind of helps in the downtime when TWBT isn't available.

Lots of tilesets work without messing up the text though (and feature nice fonts). Take a look at the repository posted earlier.