Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evochron Legacy....new game from StarWraith Games  (Read 5328 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evochron Legacy....new game from StarWraith Games
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:11:09 am »

well, the developer released this video some weeks ago. im surprised that i didnt see a topic about the game. but anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hW1cUDArkg

Evochron Legacy is the next game in the saga of Evochron. it seems it conserves many of the elements of Evochron Mercenary and its previous games. however, there are new features too:

-improved graphics
-improved cockpit (or something like that)
-modular system for structures (stations and cities can now be built from modular parts in a grid system)
-bigger planets
-asteroid missions (asteroids falling onto orbit which the player has to destroy before they land on the planet)
-new planets (im not sure about this one)

anyways, most of the features are shown in the trailer, but i wanted to write some of them in the post. no info on release yet, but there was a closed early access given to those that owned Evochron Mercenary, must be for testing purposes i guess.

so i predict something like first quarter of 2016 or something like that.

for those not versed in the series: Evochron is a free roaming space simulator with seamless planet landing in which the player can explore the universe trading, fighting, colonizing, ships are limited to fighter size but they can be customized with prefabs and equiped with different systems. there's mining and harvesting of stuff in planets and in space. nebulae are a kind of feature in space along with derelicts and asteroid fields and rings. i dont remember if the player can harvest from stars but i seem to recall you can fly around gas giants and collect gases from them (entering the atmosphere is also very fun).

the game also features newtonian physics but you can enable inertial dampening in case the system gets annoying. you can also land on planets and use a mech to explore the surface (i dont know if they are customizable though).

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Evochron Legacy....new game from StarWraith Games
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:18:08 pm »

I'm watching this like ceiling cat watches you play Candy Crush.
But not really.

I do hope the developer goes all out and makes us able to actually own the structures and things like that.
It makes no sense being able to build things for millions of credits, only to get a "free refueling card" in return.
Evochron is a bit weird to get into, but it can be really fun.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 07:20:58 pm »

I've never really got Evochron - it seems to sit in a weird sort of spot in the space game world. It's got some really awesome features (seamless landings for instance) but whenever I've played it it's felt really sort of...pointless somehow.
I don't know how to describe it really, but I find it hard to justify playing it. There doesn't seem to be much of a story or a goal, and it has neither the promise of a grand empire that x3 has or the drive to explore that many other space games have.

But at the same time, it seems chock full of things I should love.

Very confusing - hopefully Legacy will be a new era for it.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:23 pm »

I've never really got Evochron - it seems to sit in a weird sort of spot in the space game world. It's got some really awesome features (seamless landings for instance) but whenever I've played it it's felt really sort of...pointless somehow.
I don't know how to describe it really, but I find it hard to justify playing it.

this is the  same problem i had with it, but for different reasons. not so much the lack of story but the complete lack of balance and design effort put into the game. costs more fuel to fly in a straight line for a few km than it does to jump accross the system etc. every station is just copy pasted blandness. the terrain of the world means very little. (see mount and blade for an example of a game doing a singleplayer sandbox world well)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:45:24 am »

You shouldn't feel confused, because you got it right. It is simply weird, and rather pointless since there's no real end game to it.
To expand on what I said before, it can be really fun IF you just play it as a simple "fly around, fly missions and upgrade little by little" game. It's overpriced for that, though.
What confuses is that it seems to be much more than that..but it's not. It could be, though - which's what I'm hoping for.

I don't remember exactly, but when I decided to take Evochron Mercenary on, I was grinding in the "expected" way until I got tired of it.
Then I tried to "find a breach" / "cut through the grind" and ended up finding some stupidly profitable, very quick trade route that felt like cheating.
So I proceeded to build all the structures and it was all utterly pointless, since you can't own anything and the structures you build simply improve/develop the sector, sometimes in obscure ways.

But you can't help but feel some X3 vibes from it. After the failure with X:Rebirth, would be awesome if Evochron Legacy delivered some empire building, fleet management and economy development features.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:34 pm »

the thing with Evochron IMO is that it catters mostly to the "single pilot" thing. yeah there are multiplayer servers as far as i know and then people can play in squadrons and all that stuff.

but the singleplayer mode is mostly being a fighter pilot doing whatever stuff you want to do, trade, mine, play bounty hunter, help a faction, run in races or clean solar panels.

yeah it could have some of that X3 flavor about building your own faction but lets be honest. not even X3 had that stuff.

in fact. i think the only space games that really do the "i want to have my own faction" are EVE and SOH. the one has corporations and alliances while the other has the whole empire building stuff as a main part of the system.

you dont have that in Evochron, is mostly "i have just formed as a pilot and i want to make a living with my customized small craft".

maybe, just maybe, Evochron Legacy will be the one to make that jump. but for now i can just make conjectures (you dont build stations and cities out of modules just for improving sectors i think, there has to be something else into that).

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 02:00:40 pm »

the multiplayer in evochron is a bad joke. It's the kind of multiplayer where someone can "save" their ship outside the station at full hp, suicide into you, then "load their save" and do it over and over until they kill you, and maybe you hadnt saved or whatever.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 12:01:20 pm »

So..the game has been released and there's a demo on the official site that grants 90 minutes of gameplay. Playing the tutorial doesn't count down the demo time.

By playing the demo and making money to skip to the parts I was interested in checking out, it's essentially the same game as Evochron Mercenary with some improvements.
It's been a long time since I played Mercenary, but the only really 'new' things are the improved build mode and structures and the "fleet" control. Crafting seems to have been improved, but I never really checked that out much.

The building part is the same as before, you build stuff to improve the 'Technology level' of a system in the hopes that new items start being sold there, or that more crew gets available for hire, or that prices get raised and things like that. It's not really clear the effects of new Stations and Cities (which you can only build on planets, not moons) are other than that, but you still don't own the structure. In singleplayer at least, it's your chosen faction that holds it, and I don't think you even get free refuelling.
"Fleet Management" is more like "Squad Management" - you can hire up to 9 ships that will always teleport to you. You can tell them to attack hostiles, attack target, mine, form up, or repair/refuel. So it's not really that useful.

The universe is still 100% random. But it was nice to see ships and transport start warping in the station and city I built..too bad they are just decoration.
I also liked the fact that random ships don't spawn in deep space anymore. Back then, it could really freak you out being in the middle of nowhere with pirates or whatever coming out of warp around you.

In the end, it's still the same game to me. It might appeal to some people, but "meh" is my opinion.
This is probably a re-re-release (Legends - Mercenary - Legacy IIRC), which doesn't really make any sense in my head, but the dev has a loyal following.

And here's the possible exploit method I use to make quick money before the demo time ran out:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is probably an oversight, but it's sad that this is the 3rd installment of the game and NPCs still don't have their cargo holds or bank accounts tracked.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:08:37 pm by Gabeux »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 06:07:38 am »

Can you still threaten an NPC to make him give you cargo that you can sell for millions without firing a shot or doing any work?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 10:27:51 pm »

bump for news:

the game has launched, here's the official website too.

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/index.htm

EDIT: nvm, it has been posted already......
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:41:15 pm by xaritscin »