Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS Picture Editor  (Read 2906 times)

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS Picture Editor
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:58:08 pm »

This is a programme to edit the pictures that LCS uses for newspapers.

Here, you can Download it :
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11616

Screenshot:

Note, "Marsch für das Leben" is the German equivalent of "Pro Life"
(Hopefully Tinypic doesn't mind the crooked cross ...)

Systems :
* DOS (MS,GNU,...) - run it directly
* DOS based Windows (95,98) - run it directly
* Windows XP - run it directly, thought DOSBOX is better. To get the right Codepage, use fullscreen
* Windows NT (Vita,7,8,...) - use DOSBOX
* Linux - use DOSBOX

Loading a file:
You can give a file as command line parameter, or simply run it and use the - extremely user friendly - file-browser.

Editing :
Pressing a key, that is not a special Key, will write it at the cursor.
Arrows : move cursor
Page Up/Down : change Page
Enter/CTRL+Enter : Change foreground colour
Tab/Backspace : Change Background colour
ESC : Quit. You are asked, if you want to save. Press 'J' or 'Y' to save, 'N' to quit or other keys to abort quitting.

The source-code is included in the ZIP file. It is considered public domain, and was compiled using Borland's Turbo-C.

For Fullscreen under Windows, press ALT+ENTER
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:53:23 pm by Purple Gorilla »

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Picture Editor
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 04:21:10 pm »

Some Work :

*1 : DER SPIEGEL (THE MIRROR) : A Major German Weekly news magazine. It has a good reputition.
*2 : BILD-Zeitung (Picture Newspaper) : A extreme lowbrow German Tabloid. Their slogan is "Unabhängig, Überparteilich" (Indipendent and Party-neutral). I made the slogan "Unanständig, Überheblich" (Naughty, Arrogant). The Publisher is actually Axel Springer, but I called him "Axel Schweiß", a prank-name, meaning "Armpit Sweat"
* 3 : FOCUS (Focal Point): Another Major Weekly news magazine. They have an Interwiev with Helmut Markwort, their own publisher.
* 4 : BRAVO (Yeehaa): A  magazine targetet to teenage girls, that mostly deals with music and sex. Martin Goldstein, is a religious teacher, resposible for the sexual education, who uses the Nickname Dr. Sommer, appearently to hide his jewish descent.
* 5 : Frankenpost (Frankonian Mail) : A local newspaper from the town Hof. It is not actually important enough, to be here, but I added them as a joke.
* 6 : Freiheitsengel (Angel/Guardian of Liberty) : Your newspaper, the Liberal Guardian. I invented a mascot for the Liberal Guardian, a guardian Angel with a blood covered sword and a green shield. "Nichts als die Wahrheit" (nothing but the truth) is the titile of the biography of Dieter Bohlen.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 03:21:51 am »

Systems :
* DOS (MS,GNU,...) - run it directly
* DOS based Windows (95,98) - run it directly
* Windows XP - run it directly, thought DOSBOX is better. To get the right Codepage, use fullscreen
* Windows NT (Vita,7,8,...) - use DOSBOX
* Linux - use DOSBOX

Can it be recompilated under these systems?

* 6 : Freiheitsengel (Angel/Guardian of Liberty) : Your newspaper, the Liberal Guardian. I invented a mascot for the Liberal Guardian, a guardian Angel with a blood covered sword and a green shield. "Nichts als die Wahrheit" (nothing but the truth) is the titile of the biography of Dieter Bohlen.

Good pic!

The "Engel" bit can also refers to Friedrich Engels.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:43:21 am »

Thanks!!

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:06 pm »

Can it be recompilated under these systems?

No currently not, as it uses direct hardware access for graphics. The idea behind using DOS was, to get a Quick-and-Dirty programme, that runs on almost every system (with or without DOSBOX). It is like Java, with the advantage of not having to use Java.

-----
Some Updates :
* Problem with lost Keystrokes fixed
* Problem with overflowing colours fixed
* To change Foreground back, use CTRL+Enter (Ascii code 10) and not SHIFT+ENTER
* As nobody but me downloaded it, it is still version 1.0
-----
I also found a way, to get good screenshots on Windows XP (as seen in the earlyer) post :
* Switch to windowed mode (ALT-ENTER) if you are using fullscreen
* Click right on the blue top bar
* Properties
* Set the font to "Lucida Console",
* now it should respect the codepage even in windowed mode, and you can make screenshots by pressing PRINT-SCREEN and pasting in MS-Paint
* Some people with Flatscreens can't change to fullscrren at all, for them changing the font may be the only way to get the right codepage. (You still may have to set the codepage with the CHCP 437 console-command)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:09:23 pm by Purple Gorilla »