Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hermit Shrine Foolery  (Read 1639 times)

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
Hermit Shrine Foolery
« on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:04 am »

I just recently started to try out the Hermit, finally having some confidence that I could play it out without it imploding in my face too quickly, but I keep hitting the same problem.

My Hermit at certain points just refuses to do any work. It usually happens each time I get into the Cavern layer through the caves I embark on to explore. With dozens of jobs lined up, or even just ONE job mining a nearby wall, he just sits in the caverns, slowly starving and dehydrating, meandering in one are, like it was designated as some kinda meeting hall. I read about a similar problem in the Hermit thread, but I'm not having any problem with refuse, as I have no refuse yet.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:20:46 pm by chaosfiend »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Hermit Work Ethic
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:15 am »

Sounds like you have no access to the jobs, he cant path to them (?)

The problem in the thread was just a guy that changed the work (o)rder settings and had "ignore outside refuse", without knowing it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 06:09:55 am »

Okay, I managed to work it out. Apparently he DID somewhere get down all the ramps, but could not find his way back up. Had to Mine some stairs up for him.

On another note, I built the Nature Shrine, and I'm rather puzzled. I have just over 1000 relationship with Nature, and I tried out the 'Recruit Wild Animals' reaction, but to no pomp or circumstance. Should there be any notices, or something obvious happen? I'm getting nothing. Also Haven't the foggiest how the Make an Offering reaction is supposed to work.

Edit: Yeah, After about an hour of trying to sift through the Raws and trying to find the reaction, I still have not a damned Clue what or how  LUA_HOOK_DRUID_TAME_ANIMAL_GNOME, or the LUA_HOOK_DRUID_TAME_ANIMAL_GNOME reactions work. Then again, doing all this at 5AM after an all nighter is probably not the best of ideas I've had.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:53:11 am by chaosfiend »

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:21:38 pm »

.....So I'm guessing that nobody at all knows how the Nature Shrine system works? :/

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 08:52:38 pm »

You should check the Gnome board for druid specifics, AFAIK the whole system was basically borrowed from IndigoFenix and he made it with DFHack magic.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:08:50 pm »

I've been scanning and searching but I've yet to find a single thing related to it over the past few days.

EDIT: Looking over Dwarf Hack each time I do the reactions as well, and there is nothing to tell me that anything at all is happening when I try and recruit a wild animal, or Make an Offer to the wild.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:29:49 pm by chaosfiend »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:41:31 pm »

I've been scanning and searching but I've yet to find a single thing related to it over the past few days.

EDIT: Looking over Dwarf Hack each time I do the reactions as well, and there is nothing to tell me that anything at all is happening when I try and recruit a wild animal, or Make an Offer to the wild.

From what I recall, it only affects nearby animals. Since gnomes are [AT_PEACE_WITH_NATURE] and thus don't get attacked by the majority of wildlife, you can have a druid spamming that reaction outside and you'll get neat new pets and stuff over time.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit Shrine Foolery
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:06 pm »

That...seems excruciatingly counter-intuitive to the Hermit though, since you really don't want to just wander outside every day. And from what I read in other posts, (what little there are on the topic), Is the Recruit Wild Animals reaction not supposed to 'draw creatures' towards you or whatnot? Or from what you are saying Arcavasti, is it just some fancy quick fix to Animal Training?

Also, I have well over 50,000 merit points now, thanks to the capture of some Giant Grasshoppers and Giant Louses in some random cage traps, and their subsequent release to the wild, and really nothing at all to show for it. :/

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 02:34:27 am »

*sigh* This is getting frustrating. After 4 years in game and countless attempts to use the Nature Shrine, Nothing has happened, and I have never gotten any Druidic Token, so I cannot even train the animals that I have caught through my cage traps.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 04:42:01 pm »

That...seems excruciatingly counter-intuitive to the Hermit though, since you really don't want to just wander outside every day.

Yep. Kinda got tacked on to the mode based on some requests, even though its designed for Gnomes.

Is the Recruit Wild Animals reaction not supposed to 'draw creatures' towards you or whatnot?

Don't believe so. That'd have to mess with pathing stuff, which I think is impossible or difficult even with DFhack.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 09:49:12 pm »

So, how would I possibly be able to grab myself a Druidic token to create the Advanced Animal Trainer, as the only way I can currently see, if to basically send my Hermit out to the wilds and hope an invasion force does not crop up to slaughter him.

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 02:20:17 pm »

in my gnome forts, i usually build a nature shrine out side, and have some one continually recruit animals. that way, when any animals walk by, they will usualy get recruited. its a small area around the shrine where animals get recruited, and they have to walk naturally by. but idk what your problem could be.