Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [44.12] Dwarves claim ownership of any item they like and never drop the items.  (Read 11440 times)

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm yet another victim of this awkward bug as one of my dwarves hijacked a minecart and stowed it away in their room. It wouldn't be such a problem to try workarounds to get it back had it not been for the fact the thing is full of magma.

I don't know whether to drop the little turd into the magma sea for holding up my magma forge constructions or reward the guy with an even better room for his clearly superior tastes in room decor.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got one instance of this bug coming back in 44.12. A dwarf holding a stack of coins won't put it down, and the coin stack has Owner: 'dwarfname' shown when I inspect it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Interesting - did they get the coins on a raid?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope no missions for this fort yet, just forged some coins as normal, looks like the dwarf that likes coins claimed ownership carrying them to the stockpile. Just happened again, not sure if it's the same dwarf.

The dwarf likes coins:

Coins are stuck in their inventory:

and owned by the dwarf now:

I'm not seeing dwarves paralyzed by holding a dozen minecarts or carrying every goblet in the fortress, but this is otherwise like the 42.04 bug.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Hm...Testing in arena, seems hitting a vampire sponge with a coin and being attacked back results in 2 observer and 3 fighter/dodger experience (+1 preexisting tracker experience from taking control to pick up the coin created with create-item). Letting two single-coin armed dwarves kill the vampire sponge ended up giving 3/36/6/9 and 0/38/30/30 armor user/observation/fighting/dodging experience.

So, not spectacular weapon but might have an use if you want a champion who will only give dodging and fighting demonstrations.

Did they satisfy any needs by acquiring the coin?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know it is tedious, but get a dump 1x1 site in unowned area. Just mark the owned items for dumping. After 1 month in public space, the ownership is cleared, automatically. This is how I remove old clothing or undesirable clothing from dwarves, before it rots on them and causes them to go psycho or kill themselves.

Just keep in mind:
In stocks or in workshops, if you mark goods forbidden, then no dwarf will claim them.
When un-forbidding them and marking to be moved to depot for trade, then no  dwarf will claim them.

I hope it helps.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know it is tedious, but get a dump 1x1 site in unowned area. Just mark the owned items for dumping. After 1 month in public space, the ownership is cleared, automatically. This is how I remove old clothing or undesirable clothing from dwarves, before it rots on them and causes them to go psycho or kill themselves.

Just keep in mind:
In stocks or in workshops, if you mark goods forbidden, then no dwarf will claim them.
When un-forbidding them and marking to be moved to depot for trade, then no  dwarf will claim them.

I hope it helps.
As far as I know, dorfs only have clothes rotting off their bodies if there are no replacements available for claiming, so production of new clothes for the layer+location should address that (apart from underwear, which can only be imported). However, if you're trying to run a lean clothing fortress where you don't produce "unnecessary" layer items you're going to have issues with the buggers picking up replacements from fallen enemies on the battlefield, with potential rotting if the sieges are sufficiently far apart (or the fortress population is large enough).

No, dorfs nick trinkets while hauling them to the trade depot, but clothing claiming uses a different (and more sane) logic where items are claimed and then picked up, so if you don't allow any time in between unforbidding and trade marking clothing won't be claimed.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just saw a dwarf with a preference for iron claim ownership of some iron arrows when hauling them to a stockpile and carry them around before eventually dropping them in their room. I see that FantasticDorf saw the same, and added a save file to the bug report ticket.

In this case it was a material preference instead of an item preference. So far I've seen it in 44.12 with coins and arrows.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just saw a dwarf with a preference for iron claim ownership of some iron arrows when hauling them to a stockpile and carry them around before eventually dropping them in their room. I see that FantasticDorf saw the same, and added a save file to the bug report ticket.

In this case it was a material preference instead of an item preference. So far I've seen it in 44.12 with coins and arrows.
But should a dwarf fond of iron not try to steal some iron arrows? Stroring them in their room is a lot better AI behaviour than carrying them around forever.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But should a dwarf fond of iron not try to steal some iron arrows? Stroring them in their room is a lot better AI behaviour than carrying them around forever.
If the only way to avoid it is to constantly micromanage which dwarf takes which hauling task, check their preferences, and remove them from the job if they will claim an important item, then that sounds pretty awful from a gameplay perspective.

Can anyone suggest any way to force dwarves to drop an item? Ideally and clear the ownership flag, as well? The bug where they carry the items around forever is back in 44.12. (So far seen only in a dwarf with a preference for coins.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the only way to avoid it is to constantly micromanage which dwarf takes which hauling task, check their preferences, and remove them from the job if they will claim an important item, then that sounds pretty awful from a gameplay perspective.

Why do you need to avoid it?
It's a fu*king iron arrow. Who cares?

It's intended, actual gameplay behaviour for dwarves to take and store stuff they like. They're not robots. Micro-manage features out if you want to, but it's not a bug.

The only bug is carrying the stuff around forever.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:51:48 am by Shonai_Dweller »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tough if you don't like it. Micro-manage your way into making the game as boring as possible. Enjoy.
Hold on a second, that level of rude and insulting response isn't merited or appropriate.

There's room to disagree civilly, please exercise that.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tough if you don't like it. Micro-manage your way into making the game as boring as possible. Enjoy.
Hold on a second, that level of rude and insulting response isn't merited or appropriate.

There's room to disagree civilly, please exercise that.
Sorry about that. Edited. So many bugs in the game that people complaining about dwarves having personalities and overreacting about the possible loss of an arrow just seemed kind of absurd.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks!

The only bug is carrying the stuff around forever.
I actually kinda agree there. It's the "I used my last metal bar to make an axe for woodcutting and the woodcutter can't find it" scenario that worries me. Or any other time you're trying to get something that's resource limited to the military.

It's not like I'm going to stop playing DF because something confusing happened, but that'd be rough on a new player. Including the player who made their first bolts for hunting or training, then we get another one of those "why didn't the marksdwarf start training" questions, only this time it's because Urist McLikesBronze stole them. (Which would actually be quite cool if there were community ownership and justice systems, etc to follow up on the theft, instead of it being a forum thread question and needing dfhack to fix. Also, there should be some kind of psychological build-up to a dwarf becoming a thief, so it's not just an artifact of the die roll of their preferences and every dwarf instantly being a thief every time they happen to see pear wood.)

That's why I call it a bug, because the rest of the game mechanics and systems that should go along with a dwarf choosing to become a thief aren't in place or usable enough.

For the dwarf that's starting to pick up and carry everything around, I've only been partially successful with dfhack.

What's worked so far:

Highlight the item in the dwarf's inventory. (and repeat for each of the items they're stuck carrying)

item = dfhack.gui.getSelectedItem()
dfhack.gui.setOwner(item, nil)

What I was hoping would work next was:

Make sure the cursor is a valid position somewhere, and:

dfhack.items.moveToGround(item, cursor)

But I get the error:

Cannot write field (global).moveToGround(): incompatible type in complex assignment.

So at least the ownership was stripped, and the item forbidden. I think the dwarf might eventually drop the item on their own now? I'll let it run and see.
Pages: 1 [2] 3