Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Retired adventurers; full citizenship in unretired forts?  (Read 8165 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retired adventurers; full citizenship in unretired forts?
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:38:21 am »

Well, I posted these questions in the general forum without much of a response. Perhaps you adventure mode buffs will be able to tell me better.

So, does an adventurer that is retired at the site of a previously retired fort of your own, eventually petition said fort for full citizenship? Assuming of course you retired an adventurer or two there, then unretired the fort to play it.

In my experience, I've noticed that those retired adventurers are listed as being citizens of the fortress already once retired there. However, they are not listed as belonging to the local group that the original 7 (and all subsequent migrants), are made a part of (in this case The Lonely Guard). With that group membership missing, I can't seem to control the labors of any retired adventurers, unless said adventurer was originally created as being from the fortress in the first place.

I do not play a TON of adventure mode, so maybe there's another way to go about this. I know I can ask the fort site's leader to make me a performer for the fort, but my guys don't generally have performance skills. Perhaps I can join the local group/faction via a lot of questing for them?

As an aside, are adventurers always asexual? It would be cool to see a retired adventurer start a family, but the 3 or 4 that I've tried have all been asexual. My guess at this point is that all adventurers are generated that way.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:50:04 am by Walkaboutout »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Retired adventurers; full citizenship in unretired forts?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:20:00 am »

yeah the way adventure mode is if you check their Groups via Q is that they end up being in 2 groups the Civ the adventurer started in, and the kingdom.
what you need is the adventurer to start on the fort site and be of the same fort Civ which will allow them to become apart of the site.
the game kinda separates playablity of people by groups so you end up with characters who are now apart of the fort but due to not originally starting there being completely unable to do fort mode jobs.

so you need to make sure the background of the adventurer is line up to the fort to get them access to playing in a fort.

the other stuff is just waiting out a long grueling period of time. good thing adventurers now have more emotions and feelings so they could mingle with other fort citizens just that you might want to set up the personality of the adventurer so that they are atleast willing to go out and have a relationship.

they will make friends just OH boy moving a snake person in to a dwarf fort was a hallmark for me.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 11:23:15 am »

Use dfhack to assume control of someone belonging to the site, or manually edit the relationships (much trickier but possible, I've done it), become a fortress guard/performer, or for science retire them there and see if they will petition after a while on their own.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 11:40:06 am »

So, does an adventurer that is retired at the site of a previously retired fort of your own, eventually petition said fort for full citizenship? Assuming of course you retired an adventurer or two there, then unretired the fort to play it.
When they retire at a settlement, they automatically gain citizenship. If you have have a seat of power in another site then your adventurer will migrate back there. Otherwise it's random, and probably based on obvious personality factors, whether or not they'll stay or go wandering again.

As an aside, are adventurers always asexual? It would be cool to see a retired adventurer start a family, but the 3 or 4 that I've tried have all been asexual. My guess at this point is that all adventurers are generated that way.
Yeah, that was probably to deflect any carping demands from het and lgbt players about their orientation when it's irrelevant to the game; sexual relations are not a mechanic for adventurers, and Toady won't divert attention to making it a feature. But it's a shame they don't spawn another generation when they settle down, even in cultures that value family highly.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 11:40:43 am »

Use dfhack to assume control of someone belonging to the site, or manually edit the relationships (much trickier but possible, I've done it), become a fortress guard/performer, or for science retire them there and see if they will petition after a while on their own.
uhh about that I mean for folks who don't have dfhack basically if they retire an adventurer to a site 4 things could happen depending on that character's background.

1, they are playable
2. they're apart of the site but no labors but could be assign to occupations
3. 'hostile' but apart of the fort somehow but lock off from 1 and 2 so they will protect it from outsiders
4. Dead... but I think that one was from sticking a starving near dead elephantman in a room.

1 was from getting a background where they join the fort and retiring the character there on the spot.
2 was from moving a character to the fort while them being apart of the fort's CIV
3 is from finishing up my adventures and moving a completely unknown to the fort character that was a necromancer over to the fort in 02
4 was uhh another test of 3 that ended with a dead elephant man.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:52:57 pm »

Does it make a difference if you've already petitioned successfully to become a performer or hearthperson before you retire? My elephant man totally failed his audition (mayor was not impressed!). Retired anyway and found he was a citizen with no labours, but could assign him as a performer (or tavern keeper).

Weird, you'd think that's opposite of intended behaviour: Pass auditon - become temple dancer. Fail audition - made to carry rocks/drafted - seems more reasonable.

Toady mentioned in a fotf that this should be possible. But requires a lot more Science I think. So could we please keep Dfhack out of this conversation unless it's about using it to diagnose where certain processes are going wrong as this is possibly just a vanilla feature that requires a bit more tweaking.

- Would make for a great story when it finally works. Elephant man leaves home, journeys to a dwarf fortress and is granted citizenship. Is drafted and given a set of steel elephant man armour. After 5 years, somehow survives, returns home a steel-clad baddass hero (beats up kids who used to laugh at his trunk).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:57:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 07:56:11 pm »

Hey, I was just suggesting ways to make them full citizens for sure.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 08:22:12 pm »

Hey, I was just suggesting ways to make them full citizens for sure.
yeah that's how I did it in the old way mostly due to there was no way to Retire a site back then.
on top of retiring an adventurer on there.

that said I wouldn't remove the dfhack suggestion as it's way faster to do that than to ... wait for those guests to do a full citizen petition.
also asking to be a performer or merc will stick you into a fort as a performer or merc with no labors so you end up in the same group as the other folks who half citizen petition.
that said you really don't need to win behavior just make sure the background is matched up with the player fort site else you get a character you can assign to military and noble jobs but not craft jobs.
said elephantman who died walk out of an elven resort and into a snakelady(who was a full citizen adventurer) room to give her all his leaves he pick up then drop dead after 2 weeks of waiting for the game to load up fort mode.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 08:30:08 pm »

If you have anything notable on your resume you shouldn't have any problem getting accepted as a fortress guard, it's as easy as becoming hearthfolk. This alone will make you a member of the site group. If you don't have a bragworthy history and are already trying to retire, then what are you doing calling yourself an adventurer in the first place?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 08:37:04 pm »

Quick test on adventurers:
1) Dwarf adventurer starting at player fortress: on retirement is full citizen with labours, military drafting and so on in fortress mode.

2) Grizzly bear adventurer starts at player fortress: same as above.

3) Dwarf adventurer starts at different location, same civ: on retirement is citizen but with no labours or military drafting available. Can be assigned an occupation though. Has grabbed a room in the inn though, so may petition for citizenship one day.

4) Same as 3) but became fortress performer before retiring: Same result as 3)

What we need, I guess is an option to petition the mayor for citizenship same as npcs get.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 08:39:09 pm »

If you have anything notable on your resume you shouldn't have any problem getting accepted as a fortress guard, it's as easy as becoming hearthfolk. This alone will make you a member of the site group. If you don't have a bragworthy history and are already trying to retire, then what are you doing calling yourself an adventurer in the first place?
Who do you ask about becoming a fortress guard? Captain of the Guard?
My grizzly bear man had already been drafted into the fortress guard by the time I unretired the fort. :)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 08:56:16 pm »

My grizzly bear man had already been drafted into the fortress guard by the time I unretired the fort. :)
Him or the militia commander; one of those armored guys who don't actually have armor in their inventory.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 10:25:40 pm »

Him or the militia commander; one of those armored guys who don't actually have armor in their inventory.

OK next test complete. Grizzly Bear Man from Dwarf civ, but not player site. Travels to player fortress becomes member of fortress guard.
On unretiring the fortress he's a citizen with full labors available. Can even make him militia captain unlike visitor mercenaries.

I'm thinking that's supposed to happen to performers too. Seems unfair that a bard adventurer can't become a full member of a fortress.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 10:39:25 pm »

OK next test complete. Grizzly Bear Man from Dwarf civ, but not player site. Travels to player fortress becomes member of fortress guard.
On unretiring the fortress he's a citizen with full labors available. Can even make him militia captain unlike visitor mercenaries.

I'm thinking that's supposed to happen to performers too. Seems unfair that a bard adventurer can't become a full member of a fortress.

Confirmed, that did it! To be specific. I created a fort, then retired it. Made an elf from a nearby civ, walked him there and retired him. This made him a citizen of the dwarf parent civ for my fortress as well as his original elf civ. It did NOT however make him a member of the local group that runs the site. This made his labors unchangeable when unretiring the fort.

I then read the instructions here about talking to the militia commander on site. So, I retired the fort, unretired my elf, found the militia commander, asked to be a militia dwarf and that made the elf a member of the group that runs the site. I unretired the fort, and blam-o, my elf was a full member, whose labors could be changed.

Interesting to note here that he was from the nearby elven civ that my fort site trades with originally, and yet still became a full, dual citizenship elf of the fort.

Thanks a ton all for the discussion so far!

ASIDE: Toady mentioned in an update that he thought he had fixed the retiring of an aged fort causing merchants and visitors to flood the fort. This has not been fixed. When I unretired the fort, there were two elf merchants and two camels of theirs, all marked hostile in the units list but not attacking anyone, and one human hammerman, also marked hostile but attacking no one. I really do wish that would get fixed, it makes such a mess of a retired fort that you adventure at or in an unretired fort :(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:54:30 pm by Walkaboutout »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 11:00:56 pm »

I haven't done a fort yet in this version, did the wagons and merchants and stuff show back up on 42.04?
Pages: [1] 2