Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I drew this fox! What do you think of it?  (Read 1195 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I drew this fox! What do you think of it?
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:10:42 pm »

This is the first time I drew something more complex than a head of a character I designed on the spot.

Do you have any tips/comments for me to keep in mind the next time I draw something? Your general opinion is also welcome :D

Edit: Cropped image from Imgur, it's really true that 1000x1000 is really unnecessary when the drawing is only about 300x500.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:09:25 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I drew this fox! What do you think of it?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 05:08:19 pm »

Your next picture's probably better posted in the general art thread, so more people see it.

The forehead lump is a pretty glaring error; after noticing it it's hard to look away. The line for the front leg should start much lower down on the body. The back legs aren't proportioned right. The stomach angling up doesn't quite work with the back paws being lower than the front paws.

Try to avoid using pure black/white. It makes shading and highlighting harder.

Are you using a mouse? Don't try fur-like strokes like that on your line-work with a mouse. You'll never get it to look good and will hurt your wrist trying. Color smearing fur like that works, with enough effort, but try to smear along the flow of the fur instead of just back and forth along the colors (When shading, I've found that I need to merge the shading and highlight layers with the colors before smearing to make it look right).

Crop some of that blank space away next time.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:55:01 pm by Nirur Torir »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 07:36:22 pm »

I don't think the fur looks bad, actually, but i'm not well versed enough in fur to make a definite judgement. :v (also i can speak entirely for the preservation of your wrists because fuck strain injuries)
Anyways, on top of what Nirur said, here's a couple more nitpicks:

Red foxes (as this one seems to be) have rather long and pointy snouts. This isn't far off, but it should be a smidge longer (although try fixing the forehead first, it might be that which makes the snout seem relatively short).

Any creature with a spine is going to have a smooth curve to it; that kink in its neck looks painful. In the same vein, slender animals like foxes usually won't have a flat underside, it'd rather curve out around the chest, in towards the belly and then out around the pelvis (which is typically a fair bit smaller than the chest). Fatass animals would just have an outward-curving underside because all their jiggly flap makes their belly an outward curve. :v

All that said, you're off to a good start! :)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:55:05 pm »

Foxes are cool. I like foxes.

Also hi Nirur! It's been years, how have you been?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:53:17 am »

This isn't meant to come off as snappish, so apologies in advance if it does. It just obfuscates meaning if I put mitigating words in front of every criticism.

As Shook says, nose is too short. Foxes have hella pointy faces. Agreed on the head being weirdly shaped. You shouldn't be able to see so much of the inside of both ears from this angle, I think. The nearer ear looks too low, and not curved enough - look at inteuniso's pic, fox ears are quite strongly curved. The haunches should be a bit more elliptical.

The back shouldn't slope down so much, generally, and the legs could probably go a bit longer.

I've seen a lot worse, though. Keep it up!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.