Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My military won't wear gauntlets or boots.  (Read 9474 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My military won't wear gauntlets or boots.
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:59 pm »

I was looking at my dwarves' equipment in Dwarf Therapist, and noticed that most of my military dwarves aren't actually wearing the steel gauntlets and high boots that are assigned to them. The odd thing is that the squad leaders of both squads are wearing everything they should, but the other dwarves will wear their helmets, mail shirts, and greaves, but continue wearing their wool mittens and pig-tail shoes.

Has anyone else noticed this? Have you all checked to see if your troops are actually wearing what has been assigned to them?

It's has always been somewhat challenging to get troops to actually put on the uniforms that are assigned to them, but I've usually managed to get them to do it. But the usual methods don't seem to be working now.

The (m)ilitary->(e)quipment->(P)rioity screen shows that they all have the gear assigned to them.

I have the uniforms set to replace clothing, rather than wearing it over it.

I've tried stationing them in the armor stockroom to get everyone on duty and into uniform.

I've even created a uniform with nothing in it and assigned it to both squads, let them take all the armor off, then reassigned the uniforms with the gauntlets and boots. They put the helmets, mail shirts, and greaves back on, but not the gauntlets and boots.

I've tried everything I know of, but still no one but squad leaders will wear gauntlets or boots. What I find really curious is that the squad leader will wear these things, but not the rest of the squad. So I must be doing something right.

Anyone else seeing this?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: My military won't wear gauntlets or boots.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:04:33 pm »

Out of old habit, I always

1) equip in two stages: first, I assign weapon, shield, chain mail, helm, greaves and boots. Then I wait for it to be grabbed and worn. Then I assign breastplate and gauntlets. Never failed me, all my soldiers are wearing their uniforms properly. I believe things can go awry when dwarves put on a breastplate first, then try to layer over that. Same with gauntlets.
2) equip only one soldier at a time. Wait for it to finish, then equip the next.
3) don't produce more armor while I am equipping

All my 30+ soldiers are wearing everything they should.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:29:20 pm »

And you're on 0.42.03 or later? 0.42.02 had a bug that prevented armor to be worn properly (i.e. mostly not worn at all).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:30:23 pm »

I forgot; You do realize that the 'replace clothing' option needs to be set for each individual dwarf? It's not for the whole squad. If you don't know that, that would explain your captains properly equipping, but the rest not.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »

No, I didn't realize that it has to be set for each individual dwarf. That sounds very much like it is the problem. I'll give that a try.

PatrikLundell, this is on .04, and the world was genned in .04, so it's not an inherited problem from an earlier version. But it was a very good question.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:22:15 pm »

Gauntlets and boots won't be worn over civilian gloves and shoes in 42.04.  It's a known issue.

There are a couple possible workarounds:
  • Set the squad position to "replace clothing" instead of "over clothing".
  • Mod your fortress raws, adding the [SHAPED] tag to shoes and gloves.
I forgot; You do realize that the 'replace clothing' option needs to be set for each individual dwarf? It's not for the whole squad. If you don't know that, that would explain your captains properly equipping, but the rest not.

There are two ways to do this.  You can either set "replace clothing" on individual squad positions, or you can make it become part of the uniform.  If you make it part of the uniform, then you need to do a Shift+Enter in the m e U screen to reassign the uniform to the entire squad.

I prefer to do it one squad position at a time, because I typically don't have full metal armor available for everyone in the early months.  So I just set each position as the armor becomes ready.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:25:08 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 11:40:41 am »

Makes me wonder, does the cold affect uniforms? Because my biome is so cold that the brook thaws for like a week per year - at most. I assume mittens are nicer for cold weather, but wearing gauntlets instead wouldn't make them freeze their fingers off or anything, right?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 12:44:08 pm »

No, clothing doesn't make any difference to cold resistance, as far as I understand.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 05:28:25 pm »

Makes sense. Thanks.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 02:54:55 am »

I forgot; You do realize that the 'replace clothing' option needs to be set for each individual dwarf? It's not for the whole squad.

Not true.  You might have to change it if you changed the setting after uniform assignment, but you can still make it apply to the whole squad.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 06:58:26 am »

I forgot; You do realize that the 'replace clothing' option needs to be set for each individual dwarf? It's not for the whole squad.

Not true.  You might have to change it if you changed the setting after uniform assignment, but you can still make it apply to the whole squad.
True for people who never use uniforms, but just outfit their dwarves individually.

Also, it's a bit weird to call a solution that solved the OP's problem 'not true'
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:43:08 am by martinuzz »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 02:04:06 pm »

2) equip only one soldier at a time. Wait for it to finish, then equip the next.

I think this is partly caused by dorfs trying to claim the same pieces of equipment.  I noticed when trying to force matched pairs of bone gauntlets (NO DAMNIT! You are the dog warrior squad! Don't mix in a boar bone left gauntlet!), that they'd also be unable to find specific gear I know I have.  I believe that was caused by civilians moving the items into different stockpiles/placing items in bins.  When the item gets moved, the original military dwarf can't refind it. Then, if you set him to always wear his uniform, he'll never go to re-equip. 

Dwarven military interface and coding really, really, really needs some overhauls and streamlining. 

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 02:39:27 pm »

No, clothing doesn't make any difference to cold resistance, as far as I understand.

Its worth noting that in the raws, yeti hair has a insulation value of 300, more than necessary to survive sub zero temperatures comfortably (the kind to burn away the fat and kill you) so there are some values attached to the fabric that could come forward protection wise in clothing. How relevant these factors are remains to be seen.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 04:00:54 pm »

vjek has experimented with extreme temperatures, and if I understand it correctly, dwarves can happily march around in temperatures that degrade everything (through cold wear) in a very short time. Those temperatures should turn the air at least into a liquid, and probably freeze it as well, if that had been modeled.