Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Apocalypse Pilot Academy [Mission 1: Operation Matchstick]  (Read 10803 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Apocalypse Pilot Academy [Mission 1: Operation Matchstick]
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:38:20 pm »

(I'm making this to get back into the whole "participate in the forums" thing. The focus is on RP, but unlike many of my games there'll be more concrete mechanics here, and chances are characters will die)

The year is 1917.
A threat to the whole world has emerged from Australia, in the form of a vast, mysterious, ever-spreading mass of what looks like a dense tangle of tremendously thick vines, which some have taken to calling "The Blight." No one knows its origin, but it quickly engulfed the Melbourne area, killing everything in its path. It spread with terrifying speed across the land, and within a year over half of Australia was lost to it. People hoped it would stop at the shores, but in that time it bridged the sea to Tasmania and completely covered it. It had become apparent that, left unchecked, the Blight would take over all land on Earth.

With this threat to the whole world realized, all governments on Earth put aside their differences and came together under the banner of the League of Nations. Opposing the spread has proven difficult: the mass entangles and destroys all who come near, and attacking it from a distance with artillery or battleships revealed a terrifying defense. When thus threatened, from its folds emerge otherworldy creatures, variously shaped but always humongous in size. Somehow these creatures always seem to gauge the direction of bombardment, and respond in kind, devestating any weapons platform before it can continue.

Only one method of attack has proven feasible against this threat: by air. Only planes are fast and maneuverable enough to avoid both the mass itself and the attacks of its titanic defenders. Progress is negligible, and mortality is high, but if there is any hope of survival, it rests with mankind's pilots.

You are the New Guinea-based 6th Northern Green Squadron, or Green Squad for short, a group of six skilled pilots assigned experimental aircraft. It is the most elite squad of the Northern-Front Academy, one of many such "flight schools" established to train pilots for the war effort. The squad has a high turnover rate, but is greatly respected.

Mechanics

The game runs on the standard RTD scale:
[1] - Critical Failure
[2] - Ineffectual Failure
[3] - Partial Fail, Partial Success
[4] - Success
[5] - Best Outcome
[6] - Overshoot

However, the game occurs in two phases:
1) Home Base
This is where most of the RP will happen. Your characters are at the Northern-Front Academy, interacting outside of their planes. While situations needing rolls may arise here, it is again, more RP focused. This phase will be broken up by
2) Missions
Where your characters fly out to do battle. Here is where the dice will see the most action, and here is where your character may die. For every mission, there is an assigned objective, and the mission ends when either the objective is complete, or the mission leader (chosen at the start of each mission) deems that it is time to abort the mission (It may be prudent to establish a chain of command for these instances).

If you roll two consecutive [1]s on a given mission, you die. Additionally, every [1] you roll over the course of your wartime career adds up, and if you get six of them, the last one you roll kills you, though every [5] you roll decreases this count by one.

Should you die, and there isn't already someone else waiting to join the game, you can create a new character. Else, you can create a new one anyway and join the queue.

Character Sheet:

Name: Self-explanatory
Nationality: The whole world is against this threat
Description: Describe your character's appearance and personality here
Background: Describe personal history here. Where they came from, where they got their skills from (experienced civilian/military recon pilot? new, recently trained academy pilot?), etc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:04:35 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse Pilot Academy (0/6) [Setup/Pregame]
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 09:38:58 pm »

Current Pilots
Spoiler: Óscar Marino (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rodrigo Salvador Jones (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dalton Mattherson (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Jean Garin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Charles Miller (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Walter Christianson (click to show/hide)

Waitlist

Spoiler: Hans Erikson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:47:30 pm by HugoLuman »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:30:41 pm »

I'm interested in this! Working on a character sheet, but it'll be later today because I'm ALSO working on a college application essay.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »

Why haven't we nuked the Blight to oblivion?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:24:54 pm »

This takes place in 1917 -- no nukes yet.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 06:54:40 pm »

Name: Óscar Marino
Nationality: Peruvian
Description: Óscar Marino is a charitable young man, around twenty-two, who rarely passes up an opportunity to help someone who needs it, and who is driven to stop the blight by the feeling that it would be disgraceful to heap the responsibility of saving the world upon others. In the Academy, he was noted for aiding the learning process of other pilots once he had got it down himself, aided by the basic training he had received previously. Despite this, Óscar is very much a prideful man and something of a nationalist -- he takes insults and such other disgraces quite personally, and though South Americans are not a particularly large contingent of the Northern-Front Academy, Óscar has often caused clashes with the ones that ARE there, with the exception of Bolivians and the especial case of Chileans, who he seems to despise terribly.
Background: Óscar Marino was largely raised by his grandfather, a veteran of the War of the Pacific, and something of a war hero for his time under General Caceres's Campaign of Breña, helping in one particular battle to stop the War of the Pacific from becoming a TOTAL rout. As such, Óscar was raised under an atmosphere of pride, nationalism, and no small amount of revanchism, becoming very much a Peruvian patriot. In other respects, though, his grandfather was actually something of a stellar guardian, raising Óscar to be courageous and never back down where it counts... combined with a charitable streak that seemed to be of Óscar's own. It was no surprise, then, that Óscar joined the Peruvian Army, and though they did not have any wars in his tenure there, he ended up in the air division of the Peruvian Army. When the Blight crossed Tasmania and it became apparent that the world was in danger, Óscar immediately volunteered to fly and fight to save the world.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:13:15 pm by Powder Miner »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 07:04:17 pm »

Interesting.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 07:31:32 pm »

Name: Óscar Marino
Nationality: Peruvian
Description: Óscar Marino is a charitable young man, around twenty-two, who rarely passes up an opportunity to help someone who needs it, and who is driven to stop the blight by the feeling that it would be disgraceful to heap the responsibility of saving the world upon others. In the Academy, he was noted for aiding the learning process of other pilots once he had got it down himself, aided by the basic training he had received previously. Despite this, Óscar is very much a prideful man and something of a nationalist -- he takes insults and such other disgraces quite personally, and though South Americans are not a particularly large contingent of the Northern-Front Academy, Óscar has often caused clashes with the ones that ARE there, with the exception of Bolivians and the especial case of Chileans, who he seems to despise terribly.
Background: Óscar Marino was largely raised by his grandfather, a veteran of the War of the Pacific, and something of a war hero for his time under General Caceres's Campaign of Breña, helping in one particular battle to stop the War of the Pacific from becoming a TOTAL rout. As such, Óscar was raised under an atmosphere of pride, nationalism, and no small amount of revanchism, becoming very much a Peruvian patriot. In other respects, though, his grandfather was actually something of a stellar guardian, raising Óscar to be courageous and never back down where it counts... combined with a charitable streak that seemed to be of Óscar's own. It was no surprise, then, that Óscar joined the Peruvian Army, and though they did not have any wars in his tenure there, he ended up in the air division of the Peruvian Army. When the Blight crossed Tasmania and it became apparent that the world was in danger, Óscar immediately volunteered to fly and fight to save the world.
Everything looks in order here

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse Pilot Academy (1/6) [Setup/Pregame]
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:01:54 pm »

Reserved!

Name: Rodrigo Salvador Jones
Nationality: Filipino

Description: Rodrigo has a harsh face, angular and dark-skinned. His heavy-lidded eyes have a cold, piercing stare. His voice has the haughty drawl of one well-born, descended from both Spanish and American colonials. Incredibly vain and spoiled as a child and a young man, his harsh and brash behavior has been tempered into a cold loathing by the death of friends and family. He is dead-set on vengeance first, victory second, and duty last. Only his ace piloting and pedigree allowed him a spot in the Green Squad.

Background: His father, also a high-ranking official in the American army, raised him single-handedly when his mother passed away. He grew up with a passion of soldiering, playing with toy soldiers with his kuyas and those he considered worthy friends. The dawn of fighter planes started a spark in Rodrigo, a yearning to take to the skies.

When he was of age, his father granted his wish for his birthday and, using political maneuvering, got his son a place in the prestigious flight school of the Northern-Front Academy. Rodrigo was highly successful, though sorely disliked among his peers for his personality. His family and friends came to visit, and were victims of the first attacks of the Blight and its monsters.

Rodrigo, devastated, used everything in his power to ensure he would be in the squad that brought the fight, and death, to the Blight.

((Please tell me if there are any inconsistencies regarding how I interpreted your world. I had to research Filipino history and the history of fighter planes to make sure Rodrigo was feasible. :P Hopefully my background is historically accurate.))
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:34:28 pm by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:29:32 pm »

I like it. The only problem is that most of these flight schools only exist because of this war, but then again he might just be that young.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 12:36:48 am »

Name: Dalton Mattherson
Nationality: American
Description: A thin, wiry-looking man with brown hair stuck spiked as if stuck in perpetual bedhead. He often appears relaxed despite the pressure put on him by his new job, and seem to take this as equal parts challenge and threat.
Background: A Would-be farmer whos job was crop dusting, he quickly enlisted as a pilot, using his skill in timing any dropped payload, be it chemical or physical as leverage. He wants to both make his family proud and protect them from the oncoming menace, though how exactly he was chosen for the job is unknown. Ironically he is one the least professional pilots on the team due to his background and informal training, though this does not make him any less competent.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:39:10 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 10:07:52 am »

[...]
Nationality: Filipino[...]
((Please tell me if there are any inconsistencies regarding how I interpreted your world. I had to research Filipino history and the history of fighter planes to make sure Rodrigo was feasible. :P Hopefully my background is historically accurate.))
((I can totally help you there ;3))

*reads*
((I may be having sporadic connection [and a heck of a workload], but I really want to join in this x-x))

The year is 1917.
((Woohoo! This...is a delicate year of aircraft. We are going to have a lot of !!FUN!!...knowing how aviation has since grown. It's a fun study in Psychology. x3))

Name: Jean Garin
Nationality: Filipino

Description: Jean is 'distinctly Asian' in appearance, as described by her colleagues. She stands at around 5'5", has light brown skin, large eyes, and prominent cheekbones which give sharpness to her ovalesque facial structure. She appears younger than her age. Her personality is a reflection of her background and upbringing: She is hardworking in her tasks, expecting no less from those around her and holding one's potential in high regard, kind-hearted and hospitable to others regardless of position and status, and deeply determined in pursuing goals. She has a quiet nature and an amicable streak, preferring to listen and work with others, and valuing thought before action.

Background: In the post Filipino-American War period, the Philippines was left dependent on American aid--with reforms and petitions only earning it its independence in the 1940's. The Blight changed everything. With the fall of modern Australia, and the unification of world nations under a single banner (crossing multiple socio-cultural barriers), the Philippines was proclaimed independent in the months that followed the news of The Blight.  Given the positioning and tactical value of the archipelago, and the many military bases spread amongst the isles, it would become one of the many crucial areas of monitoring and defense against The Blight.

Jean was born and raised in the Philippines, but spent most of her later academic life in Europe--supported by her uncle, who was a polymath.  Starting out as a draftswoman for one of the prestigious Air Force Academies, she quickly became skilled and reknown as both a talented pilot and navigator in the years that followed--and it was at this time that news of The Blight had spread. Returning back to her home country, she moved to advance her education by applying and utilizing her abilities in working with the global effort dedicated to combating the worldwide threat: Moving into service in the Northern-Front Academy.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 01:24:50 pm »

Edit: Changed backstory.

Name: Charles Miller

Description: Charles has dark brown hair, and is of average height. His personality is outgoing and friendly, and has a good sense of humor.  He is a fairly competent pilot, though he is somewhat reckless. He lives for the thrill of flying, and is happiest when in the cockpit.

Background: Charles grew up witnessing the birth of flight firsthand, and thus developed a keen fascination with aircraft, with the early years of his adulthood spent searching for a chance to fly. In 1912, he got his chance when a friend of his family, an airmail pilot, offered to train him to fly. He eagerly accepted, and subsequently became an airmail pilot himself, flying in that capacity for several years. When the international effort against the Blight began, he quit his job and made his way to the Northern Front Academy, seeking to do what he could.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:25:00 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 03:58:35 pm »

Name: Dalton Mattherson
Description: A thin, wiry-looking man with brown hair stuck spiked as if stuck in perpetual bedhead. He often appears relaxed despite the pressure put on him by his new job, and seem to take this as equal parts challenge and threat.
Background: A Would-be farmer whos job was crop dusting, he quickly enlisted as a pilot, using his skill in timing any dropped payload, be it chemical or physical as leverage. He wants to both make his family proud and protect them from the oncoming menace, though how exactly he was chosen for the job is unknown. Ironically he is one the least professional pilots on the team due to his background and informal training, though this does not make him any less competent.
Looks alright. A bit sparse, but perfectly alright.

Name: Charles Norman

Description: Charles has black hair, and a windswept appearance from too many hours in the cockpit.
He is an outgoing individual, and is blessed with what could be best described as a reckless courage. He lives for the thrill of the fight and has a resigned attitude towards his prospects of survival.

Background: Charles grew up witnessing the birth of flight firsthand, which resulted in him having a keen fascination with aircraft. In 1916, he joined the Lafayette Flying Corps, and by the end of the year, had shot down three aircraft and an observation balloon. After the emergence of The Blight, he managed to obtain a transfer to Northern Front, hoping to return to action once again.
Where would he have shot down enemy pilots? WWI hasn't happened in this timeline, due to the Blight.

-snip-
Looks pretty good. Again, just bear in mind that most of these flight academies were established due to the Blight.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse Pilot Academy (4/6) [Setup/Pregame]
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 05:12:23 pm »

Name: Walter Christianson
Nationality: American (Transplanted to England)
Description: A short, wiry little guy, Walter is not a particularly imposing figure. Blonde hair, snaggled teeth, and make him look younger than he is, almost a schoolboy, but a slight limp betrays his experience. His scars are not normally visible, but crisscross from backs of his thighs up to his shoulders.
Background: Walter was originally from a small country town, the sort of place people got stuck in. He saw the military as a way out, and enlisted as soon as he turned 18. He spent several years as an engineer for the Navy, and when, in 1909, the military began exploring heavier than air aviation as an option, he quickly fought his way to the front of the pack. Unfortunately, a few short months into his career, Walter suffered a malfunction of his aircraft, namely, one wing was torn off when the left aileron became stuck during a routine takeoff. The crash was severe, and spelled out an end to Walter's career. After a year's recovery, he attempted to re-enlist, but was denied. Undeterred, he became a private test pilot for the Bristol and Colonial Aeroplane Company, a British aviation company. He continued to amaze, becoming one of the premier test pilots in the world. He was recruited directly from Bristol and Colonial to the League of Nations air force division, and immediately volunteered for Green Squad, ready to help save the world.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7