Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm having trouble enjoying DF.  (Read 3481 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having trouble enjoying DF.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 06:13:30 pm »

Well OP, you seem to be quite focused on adventure mode. While it is certainly a great part of the game, it is not exactly the focus of DF, and imo is less interesting than fortmode.

no

If you're willing to take a stab at fortmode, and want a polished, stable (and combat-packed) game, might I recommend version 34.11?

the fact that you say this means that you have absolutely no right, privilege or anything of the sort to say what the "focus of DF" is

EDIT: okay that was a bit brutal, seriously though, 0.40.01 added the focus of the game to the game. The activated world is the whole point.

Damn that was pretty mean.

I have every right to think that fortress mode is more interesting than adventure mode, and up until the latest work on construction in adventure mode, it really seemed to me that fortress features were generally focused on more than adventure mode features.

I claimed no right or privilege, I was giving my opinion.

I am quite aware that the activated world is the whole point, but OP was specifically asking for ways to get back into the game, and was also asking for stable versions of the game. Older versions do not crash, and have their bugs worked out, or if they don't, they are well documented. He was also uncomfortable with the surfeit of customization options available in the current version, and v34 lacks these, so it doesn't seem like an unreasonable suggestion to me.

Anyway

-snip-
the planned human site management part of the game

I am not aware of what this is, could you enlighten me?
Development notes. Link at top of suggestions forum.

To paraphrase:
Control a human town with appropriate changes for the setting.
Control the bad guys. Send out goblin patrols from the pits.
Even control elves! But, lets think bigger - perfectly customizable sites of any kind should be feasible. Rivers, cliffs, requires awesome framework.

Big plans doth have the Toad.

That is awesome! My first thought is making a fort, then take over that fort in adventure mode and sending ambushes/sieges outward. Although you may be able to send forces out in fortress mode during future releases, I think it would be cool to send out those forces and then follow/lead them yourself as an adventurer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 06:21:57 pm »

Yeah, leading the troops yourself or taking control of complete squads is all planned. Take a read through the development notes (full version) and read Threetoes stories - each concludes with an analysis of what features and frameworks are required by the game in order to conceivably generate such a story.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 06:25:17 pm »

Will do, thanks!

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 03:57:54 pm »

I have every right to think that fortress mode is more interesting than adventure mode,

Aye, just like with me preferring adventure mode big time over fortress mode. I can do strategy and planning and thus play RTS/TBS games too but the problem in my case is that being some sort of a commander/leader sitting in his chair and just giving orders to units and then watch them have fun while I have no persona and no direct manual control over a unit in the game is a big deal-breaker for me.

Adventure mode and modding my own stuff in is how I play DF, to me it's extremely satisfying to play as something inhuman and wipe the ground with the blood of my foes and because of DF allowing me to do that in the most violent in-depth horrible way possible I'm actually.. believe it or not: Much calmer now in real life.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 05:05:08 pm »

Do what I do: come back in a year, after playing a couple promising but ultimately disappointing df-alikes, to see what's changed!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 08:09:28 pm »

I could swear the long term goal was for the boundaries between fort and adventure mode to become more porous and less obstructive when switching between them.

You play fort mode to make a place for things to happen, to make things, destroy things, and watch the stories unfold.

You play adventurer mode to go see things happen, to find things, kill things, and try to do stuff worth telling stories about. Though now you can actually tell your own stories too!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 05:52:02 am »

I could swear the long term goal was for the boundaries between fort and adventure mode to become more porous and less obstructive when switching between them.

You play fort mode to make a place for things to happen, to make things, destroy things, and watch the stories unfold.

You play adventurer mode to go see things happen, to find things, kill things, and try to do stuff worth telling stories about. Though now you can actually tell your own stories too!
The long term goal is to create a fantasy world generator and allow the player to take part and have plenty to do in any role they choose. Dwarf Fortress overseer, goblin king, master thief, useless tree hippy...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »

The long term goal is to create a fantasy world generator and allow the player to take part and have plenty to do in any role they choose. Dwarf Fortress overseer, goblin king, master thief, useless tree hippy...

^ yep this
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 09:40:58 pm »

I've had long stretches away from the game too, where I just couldn't get started. It's not an everyday thing for me - I have to be in the mood for DF and if the world conspires against it, then that mood may not come up for months at a time. No matter - when I come back DF may have been updated to a new version and I'll have to re-learn it all.

If what you want to get out of the game is stories, then you can play in either fort or adventure mode - the key is to get involved in the world. You might need a bit of luck and a few tries for this to happen - some worlds are too boring or brutal. Just make sure that you take the time to learn about the world organically. It's very tempting to dump out some files and be reading them with a viewer, or use a hack or mod to make the game faster or easier. But you might find you struggle to reach that thing you're looking for.

If you're an adventurer, pick a town, learn its inhabitants names, needs and quests, and start helping them. If you're a fortress designer, learn the name of your miner and your manager, and follow their lives through frequent visits to see them rather than concentrating on numbers on a management screen.

And personally, I'm very glad I ditched all of the mods. I now just use DFHack for fixing the game-breaking bugs, and a personal RAW file change to make lead crossbow bolts possible because I like it that way.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 [2]