Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large fish (non vermin) aquarium only?  (Read 1974 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large fish (non vermin) aquarium only?
« on: January 09, 2016, 07:41:41 pm »

Greetings, in my recent experiments with embarking with common domestic fish for future experiments, all the specimens drowned on the land, notably i cannot embark with glass aquariums because of [ENTITY] restrictions on embark good access restricting me to metal cages as per dwarven default, and wooden cages don't strike me as being much better (unless im being ignorant and removing METAL_PREF will release alternative options such as terrariums)

Just for clarification i am using fish with the [AQUATIC][UNDERSWIM][IMMOBILE_LAND] tags so im quite aware that they may be becoming beached. Its quite difficult to move them since they do not accept 'assignment' to cages (to which i suspect UNDERSWIM might be responsible) but accept restraints (useful to know but not terribly actually useful due to the prep work required to construct restraint and the room to hold multiple fish in the very narrow timeframe) would these animals accept aquariums (terrariums/glass cages filled with water) instead? The logic comes to my mind is that cage traps hold fish in statis so id be able to secure fish without freaking out via trading and traps to put into the aquarium that way (but im well aware of the bugs surrounding aquariums and large fish, but i intend to submerge the aquarium in water anyway which should hopefully go around that issue if im fast enough with transferral if its a spacial thing and sea creatures still register as not in water AND/OR submerged in sufficient water provided by the aquarium capable of sustaining vermin inside in which ill change tact and design plans if initial approach does not work)

Some input as to the root of the problem I'm facing would be greatly appreciated. Ongoing tests are trying to secure a breeding population from the mountainhome (*changed dwarves ENTITY raw files to OCEAN PRODUCTS and activated COMMON DOMESTIC + PET whilst deleting the biome specifications to open access on the fish and fishy trade goods themselves from traders.) so i can commence a project worthy of talking about here later mixing in a little bit of engineering with natural sciences.

Apologies for the wall of text, side-product of deductive brainstorm logic.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Large fish (non vermin) aquarium only?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 02:31:55 pm »

I'm fairly sure that sea animals can survive without airdrowning in metal/wood/etc. cages. It worked a few versions ago, might have changed since Sphalerite's sea serpent breeding experiments.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 03:20:58 pm »

I'm fairly sure that sea animals can survive without airdrowning in metal/wood/etc. cages. It worked a few versions ago, might have changed since Sphalerite's sea serpent breeding experiments.

Just for clarification i am using fish with the [AQUATIC][UNDERSWIM][IMMOBILE_LAND] tags so im quite aware that they may be becoming beached. Its quite difficult to move them since they do not accept 'assignment' to cages (to which i suspect UNDERSWIM might be responsible) but accept restraints (useful to know but not terribly actually useful due to the prep work required to construct restraint and the room to hold multiple fish in the very narrow timeframe)

The fish cannot be assigned to a cage, efforts to cage them inside a metal or wood cage are denied by the fact they will not appear on the list of available animals. Being tame pet animals, they cannot trigger cage traps so i cannot force them inside those. Restraints work fine however, but are impractical as already stated in the OP for embark.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:31:46 pm »

With a lot of work it ought to be possible to use cave-in dust stunning to get tame aquatic creatures into cages. It might even be possible to just drop stun them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 05:40:19 pm »

With a lot of work it ought to be possible to use cave-in dust stunning to get tame aquatic creatures into cages. It might even be possible to just drop stun them.

I still have the consistent issue of the fact that these fish begin the process to air drown immediately, making quick building preparations impossible, in addition to the fish being too fragile (larger fish on the other hand might well take a beating, so that's worth trying with some feather-wood floors) but that information is very valuable thank you for when i have something a little more established in the works if aquariums don't work after all by means of pitting them (i still need to check if that's a option but getting them to live long enough to find out will be a challenge)

On the bright side, adding the [butcherable] tags may work, and since they are above ground, conger eels particularly give plentiful bones (9 stack each) when they rot away miasmaless providing good practice to dedicated bonecarvers despite having little meat on them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:47 am »

I am aware this is a double post but i can confirm that for the specifications of science, aquatic animals with UNDER-SWIM do indeed take aquariums only as opposed to cages by assignment rather than capture. Thanks for the input everyone.

EDIT - aquariums still drowned the eel even when supplied with non-muddy river water, i will try desalinated water instead because it is certainly 10 units inside and can be manipulated with T commands. This was on a 'dry test' with the aquarium not submerged in water.

Forbidding the water or attempting to dump the water just makes the dwarves drop the fish on the floor, or alternatively it could be a pathing issue from the cage to the submerged aquarium.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:26:51 pm by FantasticDorf »