Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mountain embarks  (Read 1421 times)

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mountain embarks
« on: January 17, 2016, 06:52:10 pm »

So I'm thinking of doing a mountain embark.
But im wondering:
will there be sieges and traders from other civs now or do they still not work?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: mountain embarks
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 07:07:08 pm »

Mountain embarks were never particularly more bugged that others. The reason many players don't do mountain embarks is due to an obsession with steel, and both flux and iron are just more common along rivers.

Conversely, mountains tend to have all the gold and such.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:13:57 pm »

Mountain embarks were never particularly more bugged that others. The reason many players don't do mountain embarks is due to an obsession with steel, and both flux and iron are just more common along rivers.

Conversely, mountains tend to have all the gold and such.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 07:15:16 pm »

Mountain embarks have less soil/clay/sand and completely block surface farming. Many of us prefer surface crops due to their ability to grow in all seasons (rope Reed > pig tail). Trees won't grow either, so it makes wood difficult too.

They also tend to have thicker embarks- a mountain will easily top 100 zlevels from surface to magma sea. I had one that tipped 150.

It may feel dwarfy-er, but they are annoying. Less iron, less coal, less trees, fewer shrubs, harder to get magma...

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 07:58:29 pm »

There's FPS issues as well.  I find it that I hit the FPS ceiling sooner with the more z-levels there are, especially with fliers.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:05:30 pm »

If the civilizations show up in neighbors screen at pre-embark, they will be there. Problem is - they almost never do, unless you are planning to embark directly at the foothill of the mountains. Any further and it is only dwarves.

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 08:06:25 pm »

Mountain embarks have less soil/clay/sand and completely block surface farming. Many of us prefer surface crops due to their ability to grow in all seasons (rope Reed > pig tail). Trees won't grow either, so it makes wood difficult too.

They also tend to have thicker embarks- a mountain will easily top 100 zlevels from surface to magma sea. I had one that tipped 150.

It may feel dwarfy-er, but they are annoying. Less iron, less coal, less trees, fewer shrubs, harder to get magma...

But I saw my civ is at war with  goblins in the mountains and my plan is to help them with my fort! I dont know if this works...
and relating to iron; I think stone swords will do the job against the yetis at the start

EDIT: I will trade the minerals i find for iron.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 08:15:24 pm »

You can embark at the base of a mountain and still have a decent amount of zeds to play with.  This has the added bonus of (usually) multiple biomes and easier access to Goblins & Hippies.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 08:17:15 pm »

Volcanoes are pretty much better in every way.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 12:18:27 am »

Volcanoes are pretty much better in every way.

Indeed! Easy magma already on the surface and ready to melt hippies and goblins! Also some trees and stuff to smelt steel with (generally will never find coal around a volcano).

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 12:25:27 am »

But I saw my civ is at war with  goblins in the mountains and my plan is to help them with my fort! I dont know if this works...
and relating to iron; I think stone swords will do the job against the yetis at the start

EDIT: I will trade the minerals i find for iron.

You can definitely embark in the foothills that overlap with (habitable) biomes.  In fact, without DFHack you can't embark entirely within the mountains (which seems really odd... ) Mountains also block army/caravan movement, forcing visitors to path around them, but if the mountain range is narrow your embark tile might form a "tunnel" and connect two sides of it.  Any REGION tile with a fort in it is rendered 100% passable like a normal land tiles for world-map movement.  You can even create a series of forts directly into the ocean (100% of embark area is water) as a glitchy bridge.  Your dwarves will be drowned on embark, but the region tile will be marked as "passable."  String 5 of these in a row and you create a bridge to an island! That will even let armies and caravans march across the ocean on the bloated backs of your dead dwarves and discarded pieces of wagon.  ... Er, my point is that this works for mountains too.  If you embark on a region tile where the mountains are just one world-map tile thick, it will connect both sides of hte mountain range and form what you can think of as a "mountain pass" for goblins or other civilizations to access you.

However, if they show up on the map screen when you embark, they should be in range.  The kicker is that if you are just on the edge of their range, they'll probably just attack closer targets.  You'd have to -really- crank up wealth and hope there aren't any -really- wealthy targets closer to them.  Then hope that there are actually still enough goblins in the site to launch a raiding party.  Sieges are comprised of historical figures now, so the sites can't have just 50 goblins and trolls -combined- and still send out epic sieges.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 03:22:20 am »

Note that "rock" swords require a piece of wood for the handle. I found that out the hard way when embarking in a location without metal and only a single tree on the surface.