Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Necromancer Fortress  (Read 12039 times)

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer Fortress
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:39:00 pm »

Hi guys (and girls),

Just reporting in something interesting, which I'm not sure hasn't already been tried thus far.

Long story short, it's possible to turn your dwarves into necromancers in dwarf mode.

I managed to get an adventure to successfully raid a tower, and took one of the books there. I then delivered and dropped this book in front of a fortress I had retired.

When I went back to the fortress mode (retiring said adventurer) I set up my bookcase and put the book in there. Lo and behold, one of my dwarves (a jeweler) picked up the book and read it, thus changing him to a pink N symbol - ergo, a necromancer.

As I say, not sure if anyone else has found this to be the case but I thought I'd put it on here for confirmation. Maybe update the wiki?

Thanks,

JC

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:45:36 pm »

I've also added this info to the wiki. I hope this okay.

JC

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 01:13:37 pm »

Now is the time we figure out how to weaponize this, so that we can have 100% necromancer fort.  All incoming immigrants will be sealed in a library with food/drink and nothing but copies of necromantic books.  When they all read the forbidden book, they can join the fort proper.  All of their pets will naturally need to experience an "accident" on the way for reanimation. 

Naturally, we also have to somehow work magma and minecarts to this before we can perfect it...BUT WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! /cackles madly as thunder booms in the distance

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 01:21:01 pm »

Waaay ahead of ya. I'm currently living in the side of a volcano, so I'm thinking of turning my first few waves into all necromancers, then building a tower over the lip of the volcano. Any subsequent waves will then live in the fortress proper as there servitors, feeding them "Raw Materials™" through a chute in the roof.

My next plan for toying with the undead is to see if I can induce vampirism by getting a tantruming dwarf to knock over a temple statue. Then the plan is to sacrifice him in a great drop filled with water.

This water will then be ritualistically drunk by all military dwarves that pass the initiation tests to make them my immortal legion.

As you can see, I may have given this a little thought.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »

Use weres to make replicating dwarves. I'm going to put the book in a public library so many visitors become necros.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 01:34:02 pm »

I had it in my head the replication thing no longer worked with were-zombies? Or was that added back in?

But yes, we already have an elven sage perusing the reading material. Do elves still not become necros?

JC

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 01:38:20 pm »

I'm quite sure someone already converted their entire fortress to necromancers, only to find out it doesn't work very well. Apparently the raised undead are not friendly to other necromancers than the one that raised them, and something with loyalty cascades.

Been trying to find the thread but couldn't find it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:40:55 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 01:48:51 pm »

Hmm, that sucks. I noticed in adventurer mode when I was a necromancer the undead that were around which I didn't raise would sometimes attack me. Not all the time, but enough that I was always wary around them. Might just need to keep the necromancers seperate and have them export there undead to a more suitable place.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 04:03:33 pm »

Is there any good way to keep citizens out of a given library?
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 04:04:28 pm »

I'm quite sure someone already converted their entire fortress to necromancers, only to find out it doesn't work very well. Apparently the raised undead are not friendly to other necromancers than the one that raised them, and something with loyalty cascades.

That might need to be re-tested. Today did some work on undead to make that a bit less over-powered and buggy, and part of that included strange loyalty conflicts.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 04:15:17 pm »

That was originally Thriggle, and later Broseph Stalin. The undead are not only hostile to other necromancers, but also the necromancer that raised them. Interestingly, the necromancers will continue to raise undead even after getting repeatedly attacked: "Maybe it'll work THIS time! Fourth time's the charm!"

I don't know the original thread, but this message is relevant: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg6662646#msg6662646

The theory in the bug tracker is that reading the text from which a necromancer learned the power to raise dead will make previously undead hostile to their raiser. I'd test it with my fort but I don't have access to my computer for a few days...

Searching the forum for "Thriggle Necromancer" finds 4 relevant posts. It might be that your necromancer fort could perform valuable science, as one of only three necro forts that I know of! Good luck :)
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 04:16:28 pm »

Try either burrows or physical access restrictions to keep citizens out. Both are probably a pain, though.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 06:15:13 pm »

This is the thing I love most about 42.xx.

'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

Johann Canteloupe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 06:33:14 pm »

Hi guys,

I've currently done a rather blunt method of setting a military alarm burrow for everywhere on the map EXCEPT for the library, which as of the moment has no walls or doors. It'll do for now to keep them out, but i might just start boxing people in.

One of my miners met a grisly end just now trying to build a death pit. I build 30+ Z of 5x5 rooms, then caused one tile to cave in through each roof. He also followed. :| Interestingly enough, when the necromancers in my fort took him to the corpse stockpile, not one of them rezzed him. I'm not sure if this is because there wasn't really enough of him to rez (he was in 7 parts when he hit the ground, and I know necros got nerfed this update), or if they were only going to do it under a stress situation. I think this needs further testing.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 07:26:34 pm »

I believe necros only raise dead when in combat.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.
Pages: [1] 2 3