Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make cannibals. (Yes. Im going down this road.)  (Read 5657 times)

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
How to make cannibals. (Yes. Im going down this road.)
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:13:45 am »

Well the subject title definitely clarifies my question don't it?  :P
Still, i remember you could in an older version.
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: How to make cannibals. (Yes. Im going down this road.)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »

True cannibalism is impossible for non-adventurers in Dwarf Fortress. You can easily set an entity's ethics for [EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER] and [EAT_SAPIENT_KILL] (it might only need to be one, but just go with both to be sure, no real downside) to ACCEPTABLE will allow them to butcher intelligent creatures other than members of their own entity, which is probably what you wanted out of cannibalism anyway. You have to mess around with it a bit as you need to get the corpses near the butcher's shop to get them butchered just like if you had your military hunt down animals, but that's not too difficult. Cannibalism in adventurer mod used to be difficult, you supposedly had to be starving before you could do it, though despite trying I never managed it, but now you can butcher intelligent creatures whenever you want.

However, in 0.42 Toady accidentally messed something up and made it so you can't use items from intelligent creatures under any circumstances. Toady doesn't even know what happened that caused this. In adventurer mode you can butcher the creature, but then all you can do is lick the meat, or carry the skull as a trophy or whatever, no actual cannibalism. There is a trick some people have done where you can make an interaction to make a creature unintelligent before killing them, but this is unlikely to work well in fortress mode.

Basically if you want cannibals it has to be in 0.34 or 0.40 because they were broken in 0.42.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 07:58:39 pm »

Vjmdhzgr mentioned this already, but i do think its viable so I'll elaborate. You can do it if theyre alive right now, or have already died.
First, if they're still alive, make a reaction at a workshop that creates a boulder that instantly boils at room temperature. Make the boulders' vapors transforms them into another caste of the same creature that lacks the CAN_LEARN, CAN_SPEAK, and INTELLIGENT tokens and possesses the PET token. Since they'll be a pet now, you can butcher them. Since they aren't intelligent, they can be cooked and eaten.

If they died before they could be butchered, you can use a syndrome-rock reaction to give one of your people an interaction to resurrect the dead and simultaneously turn them into an unintelligent pet caste, and use military orders to station them near the corpse. Once resurrected, they'll be alive and can be butchered.

Sometimes this can be a pain to accomplish, but technically it works. They just won't eat each other for the lols or anything.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:59:53 pm »

Vjmdhzgr mentioned this already, but i do think its viable so I'll elaborate. You can do it if theyre alive right now, or have already died.
First, if they're still alive, make a reaction at a workshop that creates a boulder that instantly boils at room temperature. Make the boulders' vapors transforms them into another caste of the same creature that lacks the CAN_LEARN, CAN_SPEAK, and INTELLIGENT tokens and possesses the PET token. Since they'll be a pet now, you can butcher them. Since they aren't intelligent, they can be cooked and eaten.

If they died before they could be butchered, you can use a syndrome-rock reaction to give one of your people an interaction to resurrect the dead and simultaneously turn them into an unintelligent pet caste, and use military orders to station them near the corpse. Once resurrected, they'll be alive and can be butchered.

Sometimes this can be a pain to accomplish, but technically it works. They just won't eat each other for the lols or anything.
I'm pretty sure this still won't quite work simply because you're transforming them into a caste of the same creature. I've had [PET] castes of a fortress mode creature, and they get butchered, but not eaten, and their skin and bones are just left in the butcher's workshop. The meat doesn't even show up on the kitchen menu. I'm pretty sure there's no fortress mode circumstance where a fortress citizen will eat another creature of the same species. This might be what broke the eating most intelligent creatures thing in the first place. All intelligent creatures could be citizens so they're counted as such? I don't know.

Anyway, an easy fix to this method is to just make them transform into a different creature instead of a caste of the same one. Reduces problems with the chance of getting one as a migrant or baby as well.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:33 am »

You can use itemcorpses and remove the corpse flag from them with dfhack to make them available for reactions.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 04:45:15 am »

Changing the ethics about sapient eating is enough to get them to butcher enemies.

They'll never eat them own however. Perhaps you can use the ITEMCORPSE token so they drop an edible item upon death.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:18:06 am »

Changing the ethics about sapient eating is enough to get them to butcher enemies.

They'll never eat them own however. Perhaps you can use the ITEMCORPSE token so they drop an edible item upon death.
Even itemcorpse objects will still be buried and stored in corpse stockpiles and can not be used in reactions. They have a flag set that makes this impossible.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24:52 am »

Huh... Thanks guys! (And maybe gals who knows?)
As it turns out I did make an interactiom and material to shoot out a glob of slime that when it touches the target it turns them into a cougar, come to think of it I need an animal that's way more bountiful but it's still balanced
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 12:38:44 pm »

As it turns out I did make an interactiom and material to shoot out a glob of slime that when it touches the target it turns them into a cougar, come to think of it I need an animal that's way more bountiful but it's still balanced

Turn them into moose. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 04:51:00 pm »

Turn them into moose. :P
Even better: make dorfs transforms enemys into moar dorfs