Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 991559 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10155 on: July 23, 2019, 01:25:35 pm »

Thank you, yes I did mean England. I thought it was just England that wanted to leave

If we measure by constituency then leave consists of most of England, most of Wales and a smattering of Northern Irish constituencies.

By population it's roughly 53/47 leave/remain in England, 45/55 in NI, 52/47 in Wales and 38/62 in Scotland. So about 50% everywhere but Scotland, where it's 40%.

The problem comes partially from the fact that England thinks it is the entirety of the UK.
Have you been to UK? London is the entire country, the rest is just sheep and shrubbery.

I hear Glasgow throws a great Pride day.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: July 23, 2019, 01:44:32 pm »

I mean, I do remember being promised we'd have comparable access to what we had in the EU by members of the leave campaign wthout being subject to the EU regulatory laws whilst also being able to have amazing totally wonderful trust me my hands are so huuuuge deals with every other country because of the size of our giant economic (mostly imports and service industry based) penis.

Source for such claims: http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/briefing_trade.html

If we don't get that, is Brexit by definition of not achieving what was promised, not a failure?

Considering the EU are our biggest import partner (since proximity helps tremendously there) as well as the biggest export partner for our service industry (since proximity helps tremendously there), reduced access to them does hurt current businesses. Is it not the job of a government to protect those businesses and the people who work for them? Especially since 80% of the UK economy is services?

The job of a government is to protect more than its people's economy, else we would still be the beneficiaries of slave trade. Short term, I have no doubt there will be disruptions in trade. Long term is anyone's guess, though of course the Remain campaign was rather fervent in saying the economy would immediately implode.

Personally, I am of the opinion that a robust, growing economy is nice. But it is by no means the only factor which a competent governing body should consider. There are other things of value, not least what the people want.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: July 23, 2019, 01:51:47 pm »

east india company is a viable type of gooberment because it protects businesses lmao

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10158 on: July 23, 2019, 01:55:59 pm »

Note: Protecting the businesses and people doesn't necessarily mean protecting the current status quo. It can also involve establishing and funding support systems for the people and businesses affected with transitions where possible. Establish more-generous welfare packages for those who lose their jobs, stimulus packages to support businesses, retraining systems for those whose careers are no longer viable, state sponsored establishment of new businesses to replace ones that prove no longer viable. A heck of a lot of money a conservative party would never spend, but it's what I'd call a responsible approach and probably a good test run for the inevitable waves of automation-related layoffs over the next few decades (and probably should have been in place already since the digital revolution has already long begun but heyo).

Hence why I specifically mentioned protecting the people in the jobs. That's the priority. If the only path to protect them is to protect business, you protect business. If there's an alternative route that protects them, sure let's try and convince people we should take that.

So far I've yet to see any serious proposals from pro-Brexit people for those alternate routes, mostly because they refuse to engage with the idea that anything could need doing and it won't be all rainbow farts and unicorn piss in the first place. Brexit is treated as the goal worth any price, instead of the means to achieve something. That's just dangerous.

Wanting to take the road of, to put it bluntly, "It's gonna be disruption so fuck everyone who doesn't want that" is just...something I have a lot of words for, most of them either synonyms of "self-centred" or rhyme with "Seeing a Jeremy Hunt".

Plus there's that a good chunk of the more at risk of losing out businesses are the ones that a sensible modern government would want to be encouraging the growth of. The modern world is a world of services. Which are more at risk from losing out here. I occasionally have to work with Americans on services (IT is seen as global so we're all in one team), it's honestly frustrating and inefficient simply because you only have a few hours of the day in which both of you are awake. You need to touch as little of the same stuff as possible to get anything done, and that just isn't anywhere near as efficient as being able to have constant conversations throughout the day as needed. You have to stop working on something and wait for the Americans to wake up, deal with it. Then after you go to bed they will have to do the same. It's a significant increase in time and decrease in efficiency. Efficiency is king for competitiveness.

The closer a timezone the better for co-operation, which is why the overwhelming majority of our clients and suppliers are either UK or EU. Good thing our business doesn't have any people in Australia, since such work with Australians would be a true nightmare unless one of us became nocturnal.

Also, the peoples wants are currently somewhere around "no no no no" to everything, you could say that the people are actually pretty well represented in parliament at the moment to be honest. None of the individual options have reliably scored over 50% in any of the polling. Summing up all the leave options together gets you a little over 50%, but as soon as you get into detail you get back into the problem of no clear majority again. You can't just take the majority of the majority, which then is a minority, and call it a day (especially when remain still outnumbers no deal when you do that). If anything it's become even more entrenched and divided since after the referendum, with even less people willing to accept one of the compromise options compared to the one they want in the polls compared to previously.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:21:54 pm by MorleyDev »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: July 23, 2019, 02:00:12 pm »

No, my friend, the South Sea company is best governmental basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sea_Company

Also, it's funny how Amber Rudd suddenly contemplates No Deal after Boris becomes PM [Insert Perplexed Face]
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: July 23, 2019, 02:21:47 pm »

I wonder if they ever tried the option of, 'if no-deal wasn't an option, which of these would you want'. Or maybe ask if they would be willing to go through with a no-deal Brexit. Still, if the public can't decide (as in having no majority support for any option), how can the politicians decide for sure?

Also, I've gotta heavily criticise Sinn Fein here, if they actually put their voices in, maybe something would be done about the Irish Border. Then again, it wouldn't change the fact that nobody can decide on what particular thing they want.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10161 on: July 23, 2019, 02:24:55 pm »

Sinn Fienn did come out supporting the backstop deal present in Theresa Mays deal: https://www.itv.com/news/2018-11-25/sinn-fein-martina-anderson-brexit-backstop/

They just refuse to ever swear loyalty to the British Crown, so never take their seats in Parliament. Since their whole thing is wanting to leave the realm of the British Crown, actually I wonder how that would even work legally. Like...is taking that oath and then breaking it any kind of offence? If you are obviously not loyal to the crown when swearing since you want to secede, is that an offence? What's the point of even requiring the swear if it isn't? Could the SNP be regarded in breach of something in theory, or are they somehow technically 'loyal to crown'?

Huh. British Parliament procedure remains weirdly archaic in many ways I guess.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:30:18 pm by MorleyDev »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: July 23, 2019, 02:35:02 pm »

It's a matter of pride, obviously. I suppose that they don't represent their constituents properly (myself included, actually, I believe that my MP is Sinn Fein - or is, in other words, for all intents and purposes non-existent) doesn't really matter, because they were voted in on the assumption that they would not represent their constituents. Cushy number :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: July 23, 2019, 02:45:47 pm »

Sinn Fienn did come out supporting the backstop deal present in Theresa Mays deal: https://www.itv.com/news/2018-11-25/sinn-fein-martina-anderson-brexit-backstop/

They just refuse to ever swear loyalty to the British Crown, so never take their seats in Parliament. Since their whole thing is wanting to leave the realm of the British Crown, actually I wonder how that would even work legally. Like...is taking that oath and then breaking it any kind of offence? If you are obviously not loyal to the crown when swearing since you want to secede, is that an offence? What's the point of even requiring the swear if it isn't? Could the SNP be regarded in breach of something in theory, or are they somehow technically 'loyal to crown'?

Huh. British Parliament procedure remains weirdly archaic in many ways I guess.

Sinn Fein would be lying when they made the oath, but would still have to make it which violates their republican principles even though it would technically be mocking the very concept of the oath in the process which would in theory be supporting their principles. It's kind of complicated when you get down to it, but they've basically taken a stance of conscientious abstention rather than subversive participation.

The SNP takes the oath* because they aren't republicans, they're just secessionists (mostly anyway.) The SNP wants to keep the Queen as the head of state similar to some of the former colonial territories, they just don't want to be governed by the British parliament. Though it might be more accurate to say the SNP as a group doesn't care much about the Queen one war or the other to be honest, it's a matter for the future.

*There are technically two versions of the oath of loyalty, one is sworn and one is affirmed as I recall. The former invokes god and the latter doesn't.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10164 on: July 23, 2019, 02:59:13 pm »

Ah, so SNP want to sucede just from the United Kingdom whilst Sienn Fenn want to sucede from the United Kingdom and the Crown. Gotcha. I'd say makes sense, but I'm probably what others would call a British Republican so I actually think Sienn Fenn make more sense than the SNP there xD

i.e I would rather keep the United Kingdom together but honestly think having a royal family in this day and age is...just kinda daft, really :P Oh sure you can go back and forth on the economics of it one way or the other, but at the end of the day...ain't it just kinda daft? It's the future now, why do we have something as archaic as a monarchy?

Then again I'm the opposite of a traditionalist in many ways and think if a tradition no longer serves a useful purpose it should be disposed of. So when the only major defence people fall back to is "But it's tradition" and "But wouldn't it be sad if we didn't have one", I just hear the equivalent of white noise xD Throw them out and leave them to only matter in anyway to the few who care. Just like we did with Hot Cross Buns.

(Explanation: May be just me, but it seems like nobody seems to bother with Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday anymore, except for the odd religious types for whom Good Friday is more than just another bank holiday).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:04:47 pm by MorleyDev »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: July 23, 2019, 03:07:03 pm »

Of course, the political and social benefits are also white noise? International relations through state functions, a figurehead for the nation? Indeed, something to rally around as part of the British identity?

As odious and hard to get on with as he may be, Donald Trump intensely disliked Theresa May - but liked the Queen, and raved about her both home and abroad.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: July 23, 2019, 03:20:30 pm »

Ah, so SNP want to sucede just from the United Kingdom whilst Sienn Fenn want to sucede from the United Kingdom and the Crown. Gotcha. I'd say makes sense, but I'm probably what others would call a British Republican so I actually think Sienn Fenn make more sense than the SNP there xD

The SNP is basically just putting it off as a question for later in favour of not dividing their support base in the current time. The party's core principle is seceding from the UK, the nature of the independent government is largely undiscussed. The core unifying factor for most of the party can be summed up as 'Westminster sucks and is full of the Conservative party.'

Sinn Fein by contrast want to join the Republic of Ireland, so their desired future is explicitly defined and involves no Queen and that vision of the future is the core unifying principle.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: July 23, 2019, 03:24:55 pm »

William and Harry are looking to redefine the monarchy (the British monarchy, if not monarchy in general) in the 21st century though (yes, I know, Charles is the actual de jure next in line, not William). So, the argument could change.

Of course, the political and social benefits are also white noise? International relations through state functions, a figurehead for the nation? Indeed, something to rally around as part of the British identity?

As odious and hard to get on with as he may be, Donald Trump intensely disliked Theresa May - but liked the Queen, and raved about her both home and abroad.

It's also harder to have that kind of discussion with a monarch who is revered and has had a long reign. If you wanted to pick your last monarch, Queen Elizabeth would be just about the top pick to end the era with honor, so, the transition is likely to happen at the end of her reign (when she passes, obviously) since there will always be direction searching at the end of such a long and extremely significant reign.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: July 23, 2019, 03:26:49 pm »

I’m not sure that’s worth the several tens of million of pounds it costs to keep them, versus the cost of elected representatives and diplomats who could perform the same tasks.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: July 23, 2019, 03:33:42 pm »

You people act as though trump liking you is a compliment to your character or you in any way....
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 793