Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 990459 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10275 on: August 28, 2019, 03:50:03 pm »

How bad are the working conditions?

And is it bad because of incompetence, lack of funds, or malice?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10276 on: August 28, 2019, 04:31:30 pm »

For centuries people have been trying to destroy the UK, and then Boris goes and does it in just a couple months. Fucking legendary. I wonder if twenty years from now they'll say he was a German intelligence plant in the Enduring Survivor's Nation of England?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10277 on: August 28, 2019, 05:02:53 pm »

How bad are the working conditions?

And is it bad because of incompetence, lack of funds, or malice?
I've never worked in the south nor do I want to so I can't talk from experience. I can tell you that the base wages are around 10-20% lower than elsewhere in the country (though to be fair the cost of living is also lower), they have shitty job security (worse than elsewhere), and the lack of doctors... well, in no small measure means that the ones that do stay have to pick up the slack :/  It's certainly not something attractive, and attractiveness in one way or the other, both between countries and within a country. 

To be fair there are "hard-to-cover areas" everywhere, normally remote areas. In other countries normally they provide cash incentives (I've gotten letters from the British NHS offering 25000 GBP as "golden handshakes"), elsewhere in Spain you get more job flexibility (if you're permanent or semipermanent there that is). In Andalusia  they mostly rely on penalties.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:13:36 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10278 on: August 28, 2019, 05:20:44 pm »

So... I see that the "Take back democracy" idea had a line in fine print saying "So we could remove it ourselves"

That was supposed to be fine print?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10279 on: August 28, 2019, 07:37:42 pm »

So the Queen still has to actually declare Prorogation? Does the Monarchy in fact want Brexit? Cause if they didn't, it seem easy to tell him "No." And if they do....there is still time for Parliament to hold a vote of No Confidence before Prorogation actually starts. Although I suppose doing that for a PM who has been sitting for like, what, 3 months would be unprecedented.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10280 on: August 28, 2019, 07:39:50 pm »

It's not easy to say no, because whilst the monarchy technically can, it opens a whole can of worms about how symbolic the monarchy is.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10282 on: August 28, 2019, 10:02:57 pm »

In other news the Italian president apparently managed to negotiate a deal between M5S and the Democratic Party. So basically Salvini's push for no confidence and a new election will only result in him being kicked out of goverment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/08/28/world/europe/italy-government-salvini.amp.html
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10283 on: August 29, 2019, 01:42:35 am »

In other news the Italian president apparently managed to negotiate a deal between M5S and the Democratic Party. So basically Salvini's push for no confidence and a new election will only result in him being kicked out of goverment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/08/28/world/europe/italy-government-salvini.amp.html

What an idiot. I do love poetic justice.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10284 on: August 29, 2019, 10:35:00 am »

Well, kicked out for now. An alliance between those two parties is so fragile that a faint breeze could shatter it.
Still... populists, be they left or right wing, tend to ride a lot on faux strenght. When they stop steamrolling they tend to lose momentum very quickly.  Look at Ciudadanos in Spain. They went from being papable as potential first force to just fighting for third with the left wing populists of podemos, when their bluff was called

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10285 on: August 29, 2019, 12:58:16 pm »

Wait. 5 Star is run by a website admin?

Dear lord. He must be very happy.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10286 on: September 04, 2019, 05:40:06 pm »

I'm honestly surprised they didn't do that thing where they just "forget" it's happening and they find out 200 years later that the u.k has been leaving the e.u for 200 years

EDIT: Also, what would happen legally speaking if England left the U.K, obviously that wouldn't happen but what if it did

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10287 on: September 04, 2019, 05:58:24 pm »

Isn’t there an automatic clause if they call for an election though? That at leas was one of the ‘very good reasons needed’ for a time extension that they’d only be willing to do an extension over. Though an attempt to call for a general election has gotten shot down.

Still, the extension is only for three months and I don’t see how they’d come up with something in that time frame because obviously they don’t want a no-deal Brexit, the current effort speaks volumes, but they can’t decide on what they want to do either. Unfortunately, limbo isn’t an option politically, legally, or economically (though I guess limbo would marginally be acceptable just for the consistency alone).

They could be trying to figure out a solution to the impasse (though I guess the current effort counts?), but instead are playing politics.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't do that thing where they just "forget" it's happening and they find out 200 years later that the u.k has been leaving the e.u for 200 years

EDIT: Also, what would happen legally speaking if England left the U.K, obviously that wouldn't happen but what if it did

Given that there’s a cost politically (particularly domestically in the U.K.), economically, and legally to staying in limbo, it’d be pretty hard to ‘forget’ that it’s happening.

Edit: You know, what would happen if the EU refused the request because it doesn’t count as a really good reason, unless they legally (or maybe diplomatically) can’t refuse? I wonder if they’ve considered that.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:04:50 pm by smjjames »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10288 on: September 04, 2019, 06:12:22 pm »

Refusing makes them look uber bad on the world stage, accepting makes them look gracious and allows the UK to make an even greater fool of itself than it already has.

Boris is going to have to go humiliate himself and the nation before the world at the behest of parliament.

Truly, if there was any shred of idealism left surrounding the notion of 'Great Britain' it is well and truly gone now.

Edit: Watching this unfold, knowing that it can't be blamed on a weak May-style PM, I legitimately just feel embarrassed by my parliament. Even humiliated. Have they no shame?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:14:12 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10289 on: September 04, 2019, 06:14:40 pm »

Motion to rename GB 'Rather Quite Large Britain'?
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 793