Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 988073 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10290 on: September 04, 2019, 06:16:47 pm »

Amendment: rename GB 'Groß Britain.'
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: September 04, 2019, 06:31:33 pm »

Yeah that’s a good point, it would definitely look bad diplomatically. They are allowed to suggest another date, but it won’t likely be a sooner date because that, again, could look bad diplomatically.

It’s also likely why they haven’t yet said outright no to an extension, though they have put down some reasonable conditions and just basically saying that it can’t be for the sake of extending time (which, ironically, is exactly what they’re doing right now). While the economic difficulties are far less than what the U.K. is having, the economic, political, and legal consequences of the U.K. staying in limbo is eventually going to start wearing on EU leaders as well.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: September 04, 2019, 09:20:14 pm »

I'm honestly surprised they didn't do that thing where they just "forget" it's happening and they find out 200 years later that the u.k has been leaving the e.u for 200 years

EDIT: Also, what would happen legally speaking if England left the U.K, obviously that wouldn't happen but what if it did

More plausibly, North Ireland would leave and join Ireland.

I remember someone here objecting that North Ireland would lose all the "economic benefits" they get from being in the UK. But these "benefits" are probably rubbish. North Ireland has a lower per-capita GDP than even the poorest region of the Republic of Ireland.

If Brexit causes there to be trade-barriers or tariffs between Ireland and North Ireland then the economy of North Ireland would tank even more, and you'll probably see a swing of normal Irish people who want to leave the UK and join Ireland/EU. Yeah, so if your a North Ireland separatist then you should push Brexit, totally.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: September 04, 2019, 09:36:31 pm »

Would that make the DUP NI separatists because the hard border that they might not necessarily want is going to happen anyway if no-deal Brexit happens which is what they apparently also want?

A bit of a convoluted piece of logic there, but still. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10294 on: September 04, 2019, 09:40:46 pm »

By the way, Corbyn has now beaten Thatcher's record of 40 government defeats while leader of the opposition.

Red Tories beware, the lad's power has become legend.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: September 05, 2019, 04:08:24 am »

I'm honestly surprised they didn't do that thing where they just "forget" it's happening and they find out 200 years later that the u.k has been leaving the e.u for 200 years

EDIT: Also, what would happen legally speaking if England left the U.K, obviously that wouldn't happen but what if it did

More plausibly, North Ireland would leave and join Ireland.

I remember someone here objecting that North Ireland would lose all the "economic benefits" they get from being in the UK. But these "benefits" are probably rubbish. North Ireland has a lower per-capita GDP than even the poorest region of the Republic of Ireland.

If Brexit causes there to be trade-barriers or tariffs between Ireland and North Ireland then the economy of North Ireland would tank even more, and you'll probably see a swing of normal Irish people who want to leave the UK and join Ireland/EU. Yeah, so if your a North Ireland separatist then you should push Brexit, totally.
As I keep saying, 'North Ireland' has overtly political connotations. The proper name is 'Northern Ireland,' which doesn't have any significant political overtones. If you're intentionally politicising the name, then full steam ahead friend. If not, you might want to be more careful.

Also, I'm guessing by 'separatist' you somehow mean 'unionist'? Or are you specifically referring to someone who wants a hard border?

Either way, that you think an even less economically viable nation would stand a greater chance of getting voted into the Republic by the people of the Republic is kinda funny. :P

As an aside,
Northern Ireland has more of the identifiable spending per head than Scotland and Wales, receiving 21% more than the UK as a whole.

Next in line comes Scotland, which is 16% above the average and Wales at 10% above. England spends 3% per head below the overall UK figure.
A quick google didn't show me how much Britain spends in NI after NI contributions are removed, but last time I checked it was six or seven billion per year.

Would that make the DUP NI separatists because the hard border that they might not necessarily want is going to happen anyway if no-deal Brexit happens which is what they apparently also want?

A bit of a convoluted piece of logic there, but still. 
They want a soft border. They also don't want a shoddy deal which will screw the entire country over. And presumably, like Boris, they understand the negotiating power of keeping no deal on the table.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: September 05, 2019, 06:27:47 am »

I know it matters to you as a non-Irish on Ireland, Dwarfy, but to us outsiders there is no difference between North and Northern Ireland - they mean exactly the same thing and any political tones you think "North Ireland" carries is equally carried by "Northern Ireland". They both mean "This is the northern part of the land of the Irish people".
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10297 on: September 05, 2019, 06:30:54 am »

That's why he's telling you there's a difference? Just because you don't know about the political tones doesn't mean they're not there.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: September 05, 2019, 06:40:03 am »

And I'm trying to say that they're still there if we use his preferred term, "Northern Ireland". It still says that the country is a part of and belongs to Ireland and the Irish.

The only way to not carry these overtones is to leave out Ireland and any reference to the Irish entirely, which coincidentally would carry the opposite insinuations - that the piece of land belong to the British and that the Irish should be removed from it.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10299 on: September 05, 2019, 07:23:57 am »

The fact that they have the same etymology does not mean that they have the same connotations. By the same token, South Africa and Southern Africa should mean the same thing, but they don't.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: September 05, 2019, 07:25:30 am »

Northern Ireland - the official name of the country, used by all. Recognises that Northern Ireland is a separate entity in its own right.

North Ireland - not the official name of the country, used by those who don't wish to recognise that Northern Ireland is a separate political entity. Often used by those who want Northern Ireland to be subsumed into the Republic of Ireland.

Surely you can see how one is more politically charged? As 'outsiders', you can't be expected to automatically know these things. As Arx says, I am now telling you. If you want to make a politically charged statement by using North Ireland, that's up to you; but at least now you know that it is charged.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: September 05, 2019, 07:42:46 am »

Time for your daily dose of Norwegian!

Nord Polen: Northern Poland

Nordpolen: The North Pole

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: September 05, 2019, 07:52:35 am »

Seems to me the real trick to this NI thing is to just use NI and let other people read it how they want to, heh. Less letters, too, so it saves both time and effort!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: September 05, 2019, 07:53:13 am »

Seems to me the real trick to this NI thing is to just use NI and let other people read it how they want to, heh. Less letters, too, so it saves both time and effort!
Beware of the knights

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: September 05, 2019, 08:44:25 am »

Time for your daily dose of Norwegian!

Nord Polen: Northern Poland

Nordpolen: The North Pole
This is interesting, that the addition of a space can change the location that one is referring to
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 793