Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 987646 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10380 on: October 17, 2019, 08:21:12 am »

Catalonia is burning by the way
Wildfires or arson? :0
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: October 17, 2019, 08:33:17 am »

The Hong Kong variety.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10382 on: October 17, 2019, 10:06:10 am »

So Boris Johnsons brilliant plan with getting a deal with the EU, was to agree to the original proposal put forward by the EU of having NI separate from GB in customs, which TM was forced to reject and go with the whole-UK approach instead solely because the DUP would have none of it?

Mmmmkay?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: October 17, 2019, 10:12:39 am »

So Boris Johnsons brilliant plan with getting a deal with the EU, was to agree to the original proposal put forward by the EU of having NI separate from GB in customs, which TM was forced to reject and go with the whole-UK approach instead solely because the DUP would have none of it?

Mmmmkay?
This plan doesn't sound very well thought out to me

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: October 17, 2019, 10:18:13 am »

It's not that simple.

It seems we'd be in both, almost. An "entry point" into the customs union while still being in the UK customs territory. A joint-UK-and-EU committee will determine tariffs and the like, and the release valve of a every-four-years vote in the Northern Ireland Assembly ensures it is not necessarily permanent.

However, I agree with the DUP. It's still not good enough.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: October 17, 2019, 10:25:18 am »

Castillians want to remove paella

Paella is burning itself into the pan

Basically Madrid just convicted the leaders of the Catalan nationalist movement for treason. Catalonians does not think holding a popular vote about Catalonia's independency should be illegal. Madrid has since they abolished the Catalonian province government last year completely filled the state institutions with pro-Castillian yes men so any protest immediately turns into violence (Castillians love setting police and military on people).
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: October 17, 2019, 10:25:46 am »

From what I've read, it's mostly the same as Theresa May's deal. Did Parliament already agree (insofar as yes votes are gained) on everything else besides the backstop? I haven't heard whether there are other issues that haven't been settled since by all appearances, the backstop is the absolute last thing that needs to be settled.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:35:07 am by smjjames »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: October 17, 2019, 11:07:47 am »

Wha I am referring to as poorly thought out is rejecting a plan only to later accept it, rather than simply accepting in the first place and making everything theoretically get done quicker. The plan itself is fine

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: October 17, 2019, 11:33:34 am »

Castillians want to remove paella

Paella is burning itself into the pan

Basically Madrid just convicted the leaders of the Catalan nationalist movement for treason. Catalonians does not think holding a popular vote about Catalonia's independency should be illegal. Madrid has since they abolished the Catalonian province government last year completely filled the state institutions with pro-Castillian yes men so any protest immediately turns into violence (Castillians love setting police and military on people).
You're not wrong in many regards, but the state institutions are currently back in the hands of the Catalonian Govern.... which is trying to square the circle by BOTH supporting the protests AND sending the (famously brutal) regional police to quell the riots... with predictable results.

My thoughts on the situation: While the genesis of this whole fiasco is with no doubt in Mariano Rajoy Brey (former Spanish president) wiping his ass with the Catalonian devolution charter back in the early 2010s for purely electoral purposes, and specially his brutal crackdown in 2017, the management of the situation by the two major Catalonian nationalist parties have been less than brilliant (they've been basically fighting each other and one-upping each other. This has resulted in poor risk management and strategizing). As a result of this poor management in Madrid and Barcelona, things have gotten very dangerous indeed.  Two years ago I warned in this same thread that we were risking a brand new terrorist group (sometimes it seems that Castilian nationalists*** are looking for exactly that).  The way things are right now, I'd not be surprised if it happened in the next few weeks or months.

***: one interesting point about Castilian nationalists is that they claim to be Spanish nationalists, much like English nationalists claim to be British nationalists.  TBH I've always thought that the UK and Spain have curiously similar histories, social structures, and troubled relationships with subnationalities.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: October 17, 2019, 11:44:25 am »

Worst thing is that now Real Madrid is all "nu uh we can't hold the classico in Barcelona under these conditions you have to play your "home" game in Madrid"

Nothing upsets a Spaniard as much as futbol
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: October 17, 2019, 12:16:33 pm »

To keep up with the similarities, I suppose then that this would be what turns into the Troubles.
I really hope not. Things have been bad in the past, but never quite as bad as The Troubles.

Speaking of which, palm trees got old fast, and I'm holding out for the HSE to defrost contracts and contract my services as a blood mage again....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:24:50 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: October 19, 2019, 05:29:54 am »

Btw: I kind of wonder if there will be matching far right riots in Madrid in the near future: the central goverment has decided to relocate the body of Francisco Franco from it's current place (basically a pyramid built with slave labor) to a far more mundane tomb in a nearby graveyard.   The conservatives and far right (tbh in Spain the separation between the two has always been hazy) are throwing a fit. 

It's due to happen in the next few days, probably monday or tuesday

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: October 19, 2019, 06:40:42 am »

Don't be so quick to lambaste the conservatives - I bet they're simply concerned about the curse of the pharaohs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: October 19, 2019, 10:02:08 am »

Isn't the central government a right wing government atm, I forget? I can understand them trying to break with and reconcile with the past regardless of political leaning though.

In Brexit news, Parliament has rejected (I think) Johnson's deal and voted on an extension, meanwhile, he has until 11PM London time to send a letter requesting an extension while at the same time being defiant and saying he won't. So, expect more drama to come.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: October 19, 2019, 10:16:32 am »

Current president is a socialdemocrat.

Tbh it's kind of obvious that he's doing it for electoral purposes (doing this panders to the left of his voter base* but remarkably is far cheaper than implementing  a social economic policy).  But since there is no good reason to keep maintaining that joint  as a dictator's personal sanctuary so hey, why not. The fact that it makes the right wing salty is a plus

* in case you're wondering, putting pressure on the Catalonians (ma non troppo)  is how he panders to the right of his party/voters. He has to be more careful there though as overdoing it means losing on the left.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:21:26 am by ChairmanPoo »
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 793