Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 991455 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10785 on: June 19, 2020, 01:24:59 pm »

And yeah, surrogacy is not exactly a positive thing. It's basically neo-liberal capitalism-religion gone insane to the thousands. If it should be allowed at all it should be with extremely tight conditions and checks so that no businesses of it can be created.
You can't put a price on life, unless there's a 2 for 1 offer

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: June 19, 2020, 05:50:04 pm »

And yeah, surrogacy is not exactly a positive thing. It's basically neo-liberal capitalism-religion gone insane to the thousands. If it should be allowed at all it should be with extremely tight conditions and checks so that no businesses of it can be created.
QFT.
I don’t think Quantum Field Theory is the intended anagram spread out of the initials, unless it was? ((I worded that horribly, here;s a better version: I don’t know what QFT stands for in this context, Google informed me that it stands for Quantum Field Theory. I am guessing this is not the case here, though I could be wrong, what does QFT stand for when you used it?))

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: June 19, 2020, 06:06:43 pm »

In this context it means 'Quoted for truth,' a way to signal agreement with the quoted post without typing out a non-message like 'I agree with this.' It's generally used in forums without a mechanic for liking or upvoting.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: June 19, 2020, 06:31:19 pm »

In this context it means 'Quoted for truth,' a way to signal agreement with the quoted post without typing out a non-message like 'I agree with this.' It's generally used in forums without a mechanic for liking or upvoting.
thanks for the info

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: June 19, 2020, 11:41:46 pm »

I think surrogacy is a positive thing, both for lgbtetc couples as well as for all those women who can't conceive, for whatever reason. Be it through infertility after a miscarriage, or after being stabbed in the guts in a terrorist attack.

I don't see why it is a 'neo-liberal capitalism-religion thing gone crazy', that kinda sounds like an argument by religious extremist who don't want gays to have children.

It just should never become a business model.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:48:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: June 20, 2020, 01:12:34 am »

I don't see why it is a 'neo-liberal capitalism-religion thing gone crazy', that kinda sounds like an argument by religious extremist who don't want gays to have children.

Some libertarians argue that, for instance, people should be permitted to sell themselves into slavery, in part because it's consistent with the mathematical shorthand neoclassical economists use when saying that every transaction is by definition mutually beneficial (i.e. if both parties choose to go through with an exchange then it must be better for both than doing nothing, right?).

Selling your womb and giving birth to a child on behalf of the rich so they don't have to adopt is in my opinion in that same ballpark of desperation-dystopia as seeing a return to slavery, serfdom, selling internal organs, etc.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: June 20, 2020, 01:21:24 am »

While I understand that there are some issues with surrogacy, and I'll admit I didn't know it was so contentious until this discussion, for same-sex couples it's taking on such a different form from rich people buying kids that comparing the two is churlish. I'm pretty hard on natalists most of the time, but even I admit there is some validity to keeping a path open for people to have biological children in spite of being gay or otherwise indisposed of reproduction.

The only way to ensure children are adopted is to develop a stronger adoption culture, which is nearly impossible beneath the crushing heel of neoliberal politics. I don't think surrogacy is the big threat here. Also, letting rich people adopt kids at all may not be the wisest idea, as I'm sure LW will attest in great detail...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: June 20, 2020, 03:02:01 am »

Why?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: June 20, 2020, 06:56:48 am »

While I understand that there are some issues with surrogacy, and I'll admit I didn't know it was so contentious until this discussion, for same-sex couples it's taking on such a different form from rich people buying kids that comparing the two is churlish.

An myopic and small minded view, without a hint of solidarity or fraternity (as expected from the American liberal).

On the global scale we, americans and europeans, are all rich people, including our same sex couples. And the impoverished women being forced to sell (and break, because pregnancy is fucking dangerous) their bodies and health (both physical and mental) for our benefit is the ones we should be caring about. Fuck, even putting aside the global issues you can bet your tiny lily white rump the people who will bearing the children will be impoverished lower class women with no other options suffering for the gain of the porky burger class.

Same sex couples can adopt. If they're really that desperate for a blood relation then they can find a woman who also wants a child and come to an agreement about shared parentage with her.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: June 20, 2020, 07:03:22 am »

And the impoverished women being forced to sell (and break, because pregnancy is fucking dangerous) their bodies and health (both physical and mental) for our benefit is the ones we should be caring about. Fuck, even putting aside the global issues you can bet your tiny lily white rump the people who will bearing the children will be impoverished lower class women with no other options suffering for the gain of the porky burger class.
Actually, no.  Surrogate mothers over here mostly come from the well-educated middle class, offering surrogacy for altruistic reasons.
The majority stem from the friends and acquaintances circles of those couples who have a child wish.
That's why I thought it already was law here that it cannot be a paid service, because poor people selling their womb is not a thing here.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10796 on: June 20, 2020, 07:28:25 am »

Everyone stop bullying Americans, it's time to bully Europeans

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: June 20, 2020, 07:30:57 am »

YOU MAY BULLY MY LINGONSÅS BUT I DO NOT CARE; LINGONSÅS IS FOREVER; LINGONSÅS IS GOD
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10798 on: June 20, 2020, 07:49:49 am »

YOU MAY BULLY MY LINGONSÅS BUT I DO NOT CARE; LINGONSÅS IS FOREVER; LINGONSÅS IS GOD
Stop right there criminal scum, you violated the sacred distinction between sweet and savoury. Such invalid blasphemy is truly only the product of a Godless, state-succed society concocted in the vilest corridors of Småland. Pay your fine or serve your time, or forever be exiled from humanity, at least until the rest of the scandis stop bullying Sweden's borders

please vote for us in eurovision tho

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: June 20, 2020, 10:18:46 am »

Why?
Because power has a tendency of revealing who people are
I'm still confused. Being rich doesn't make you more likely to be a paedophile. More likely to be able to fund and hide your perversion, perhaps.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 793