Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 975318 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #10815 on: June 22, 2020, 02:53:08 pm »

All it says was that they feared that was his motive for trying to return to Libya, not that they had anything to prove it. I'd like to know exactly what these "serious mental health problems" were, given that attacking random men in a park isn't exactly glorifying salaf.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10816 on: June 23, 2020, 03:21:01 am »

Glory & rationality didn't seem to be conflicting issues in the London Bridge or Manchester attacks, terrorism is inherently ugly

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: June 26, 2020, 02:28:05 am »

In Poland, the city council of Swidnik declared itself free of lgbt ideology last year, stating it wanted nothing to do with the 'European sexual revolution'.
As it stands today, 1/3d of all Poland's cities, provinces and districts followed it's example, and are now 'lgbt-free'.
Poland's ruling party PiS is campaining for the upcoming presidential elections with a single message: The Polish people can choose between the rainbow flag or the Polish flag.
Polish president Duda gave a speech calling lgbt 'more dangerous than communism', and said homosexuality was 'smuggeled into schools' to ' sexualize children'.
It seems Poland is not a very nice place if you're not straight.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: June 26, 2020, 02:30:27 am »

It's amazing how quickly PiS has completely fucked up Poland, at this rate there will just be a pit going down to the Earth's mantel by next year.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: June 26, 2020, 04:49:14 am »

It seems Poland is not a very nice place if you're not straight.
Fixed and agreed

It's amazing how quickly PiS has completely fucked up Poland, at this rate there will just be a pit going down to the Earth's mantel by next year.
Do you think that a nationalist party magically changed the country overnight? No, this is simply the effect of the politics post '89. We're simply reaping what we sowed for 30 years of nationalist/liberal politics even with the greatest luck in Eastern Europe

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: June 26, 2020, 05:17:04 am »

Poland is not a very nice place if you're not straight.
That depends on how they deal with homosexuals. It's one thing to reject the European trend towards gender politics and cultural lgbt values, another to make homosexuality/queerness/transgender/asexuality/lesbianism/pansexualism illegal.

I don't know enough about it to decide.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: June 26, 2020, 05:26:11 am »

What I understand, it's not strictly illegal, as long as you don't let anyone see it. So no walking hand in hand for gay couples out on the street.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: June 26, 2020, 09:07:19 am »

The 'lgbt ideology-free zones' have no legal weight behind them. They do not criminalise homosexuality in any way or target individuals. Strictly speaking, all they do is declare that 'we in this here town/region do not take kindly to promoting the thing'.
Their legal status is mostly symbolic, but of course in practice they do end up normalising homophobic attitudes (which were by all means already present) and provide some basis for blocking initiatives deemed non-kosher by the town council - like lgbt pride parades or sex education in local schools.

The whole thing is deeply politicized along the ruling party/opposition lines. It seems that for every lgbt ideology-free town there's another declaring support for the community, and the political affiliation of the council members is a very good predictor of which way the attitude swings.
It also ties in with the recent paedophilia scandals in the Catholic Church, with the supposed gay lobby among the clergy, and the normalisation of lgbt-friendly attitudes, being blamed for the whole thing (yes, paedophilia is associated with homosexuality in this narrative). The religious electorate by and large supports the ruling party, so it has been taken up as a political issue.

In short, no, one can't get arrested for holding hands in an lgbt ideology-free zone, but one might get angry slurs thrown their way more readily than usual.

My perception as an outsider looking in, is that overall the attitudes towards the lgbt community are slowly but steadily improving, and the whole 'zones' thing is more of a politically manufactured rallying cry to whip up the conservative electorate rather than the reflection of a sudden upswing in homophobia among the general populace.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: June 26, 2020, 09:14:00 am »

I thought you were polish, pallazzo?
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: June 26, 2020, 09:46:41 am »

I am, but I'm not lgbt.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: June 26, 2020, 09:52:08 am »

How is this possible? Pederasty of the clergy has been documented (By the church its own damn fucking self even!) since the dark ages, back when being gay meant you got a pear of anguish shoved up your ass, and opened up wider than trump's ego.

There is a MUCH STRONGER correlation between kiddie boinking and conservative thinking, than there is between kiddie boinking and liberal homosexual tolerance.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:58:53 am by wierd »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: June 26, 2020, 10:14:42 am »

The narrative doesn't have to be air-tight, just reinforce the pre-existing biases. So if you already know that gay-bad and church-good, then the problem is not the institution, but them gays masquerading as priests in order to satisfy their unnatural urges.

I mean, you've been living under the Brave Trump World for a few years now. You probably know all about deflecting already.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: June 26, 2020, 01:22:22 pm »

I don't really mind it then. People have a right to not want to promote something.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10828 on: June 26, 2020, 03:17:49 pm »

I don't really mind it then. People have a right to not want to promote something.
When that something is human rights (e.g. lgbt+ rights) I believe you can rightfully criticize the unwilling.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: June 26, 2020, 03:33:18 pm »

All I know about it is what I've seen here, so I'll not pretend to knowledge I don't have. If this is true -
Strictly speaking, all they do is declare that 'we in this here town/region do not take kindly to promoting the thing'.
- then it seems like they're simply not promoting its cultural aspects. That's massively different from restricting rights.

Perhaps it's one step on a slippery path. That's the only issue I might have.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 793