Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 987370 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11085 on: February 11, 2021, 02:14:43 pm »

As is all livestock industry everywhere around the world. We do have a lot of animal welfare regulations and standards.
Sadly those standards are still pretty low, but there's a lot of intensive livestock industry in other countries where standards are worse or non existent.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:16:54 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: February 11, 2021, 02:38:09 pm »

As is all livestock industry everywhere around the world. We do have a lot of animal welfare regulations and standards.
Sadly those standards are still pretty low, but there's a lot of intensive livestock industry in other countries where standards are worse or non existent.

Slightly old data Going by anti-biotica usageas a measurement for animal health (more anti-biotica means worse living circumstances, as worse living conditions => worse health => more need to preemptively treat illness), not too bad compared to the rest of Europe actually. I expected worse given that one of the main correlatives with antibiotics usage is keeping the stock in too tight spaces and, as you mentioned, the Netherlands being a bit tight on space.

You can scroll the map over the years 2010-2015 (I chose 15 since it's the most current), it shows a great improvement in the Netherlands actually, possibly one of the biggest improvements in Europe (going only by glance). It's nice to see, hopefully it's been a continual trend afterwards too!
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: February 11, 2021, 02:42:50 pm »

We have been improving animal living conditions consistently since the '90s. I think the lastest numbers are that we managed to reduce antibiotics use between 2010 and 2020 by 60%.

https://dutchreview.com/news/innovation/second-largest-agriculture-exporter/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:44:50 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: February 12, 2021, 12:31:11 am »

The hyperbole is stronk in this thread.

There are bans and then there are bans (not to mention bān's  :P).

https://au.news.yahoo.com/china-fires-back-at-bcc-after-broadcast-licence-revoked-195859234.html

(Sure you can argue the toss, but it is hardly fitting to say my free speech is banned just because the Murdoch press doesn't promulgate it everywhere.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: February 12, 2021, 06:44:39 am »

Are you saying you think the BBC is owned by Murdoch?
Love, scriver~

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: February 12, 2021, 10:16:27 am »

Are you saying you think the BBC is owned by Murdoch?

No.  I think only someone with severe sunlight imbalance could make that interpretation.  :P

(But on the other hand it is true that the BBC is closer to Murdoch, and closer to being owned by Murdoch, than the CCP.  ;D)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: February 12, 2021, 10:41:30 am »

Russian foreign minister Lavrov has threatened that Russia will break every and all ties with the EU if sanctions are imposed because of Navalny's imprisonment.

"We don't want to seclude ourselves from the global community, but we need to be prepared for it. To secure peace, is to prepare for war".

This is the most threatening language that has come from Russia to the EU in many years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11092 on: February 12, 2021, 11:03:52 am »

Russian foreign minister Lavrov has threatened that Russia will break every and all ties with the EU if sanctions are imposed because of Navalny's imprisonment.

"We don't want to seclude ourselves from the global community, but we need to be prepared for it. To secure peace, is to prepare for war".

This is the most threatening language that has come from Russia to the EU in many years.
That's a bad translation of si vis pacem, para bellum. They're saying "if you wish for peace, prepare for war." Which is to say they'd rather work with the EU but are prepared for an antagonistic relationship. Honestly I don't see what they were expecting; they've poisoned people on British soil and even German patience has its limits. The words are fairly tame but their actions betray a level of desperation

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: February 12, 2021, 11:07:42 am »

Political analists say it's just words. Russia is waaaaaay too dependent on trade with the EU to shut themselves off.
They think it's just desperation from the government, faced with way more pervasive unrest than they had expected.
Making a fist towards EU is an attempt to show their population that Russia is an autonomous world power that will not bow to anyone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11094 on: February 12, 2021, 11:20:35 am »

Political analists say it's just words. Russia is waaaaaay too dependent on trade with the EU to shut themselves off.
They think it's just desperation from the government, faced with way more pervasive unrest than they had expected.
Making a fist towards EU is an attempt to show their population that Russia is an autonomous world power that will not bow to anyone.
I highly suspect in any event of an EU-Russia trade war, Belarus would suddenly and mysteriously become a significant EU trade partner

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: February 12, 2021, 12:14:17 pm »

Well, we might be ordering sputniks by the dozen in a few weeks-months depending on how the other pharma companies pan out, so I'm kind of suspecting  LW is right.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: February 15, 2021, 11:06:32 am »

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Leave Lobbyers

Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 793