Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 988023 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11670 on: September 26, 2022, 10:08:23 pm »

Clearly Truss killed the Queen and not satisfied, she's now killing the pound that bares her face.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11671 on: September 27, 2022, 05:06:27 am »

About Truss's tax cuts... Bloomberg article has this paragraph:
The tax cuts announced on Friday went beyond mere tinkering at the margins. Kwarteng abolished what’s known as the “higher rate” of income tax – 45% – bringing higher earners to a top marginal rate of 40%. He cut the lowest rate from 20% to 19%. He scrapped the new National Insurance levy of 1.25% introduced in the spring to fund health and social care. He reversed a planned rise in corporate taxes, and he cut stamp duty, the charge paid by homebuyers, to get the property market moving again.
Some of the youtube vids say the tax cuts benefit the rich significantly more than the poor. And others are suggesting that funding for the health care system will be more difficult.

Could this tax cut be seen as a method of "defunding" the government by slashing government income? Is this a move to put more economic control in individuals who are outside the current government administration? Is it a strategic move towards more authoritarian control?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: September 27, 2022, 08:55:09 am »

It's a question a number of people have been asking. Is he attempting to reduce the size of the government, is he looking for kickbacks after he's booted out, or is he an absolute raging dipshit ideologue?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: September 27, 2022, 02:47:19 pm »

My assumption would be an attempt to manipulate the currency to facilitate some sort of personal investment.

Which is illegal I think, but the sort of person who would do something like that isn't generally inclined to care.

Continuing on my "Ignore the thread's current conversation and continue posting UK stuff"

Tory MPs are already pulling out knives, supposedly a number of them are filing motions of no-confidence. Also Labour's committed themselves to PR.

Labour's also stated they won't form a coalition with the SNP under any circumstances, much as it has done for the past few decades. Which fair enough, the SNP will support 90% of Labour policy on general principle anyway, so there's no benefit to Labour talking about the potential for a deal even if they wind up as a minority government.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 05:01:24 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: September 27, 2022, 05:06:54 pm »

Someone on bay12 asked "what bay12 left-pondians thought about Liz Truss" or something like that, and at that time I read up on a bunch of news/opinion articles about Liz Truss's record, multiple articles labelled her a "political shape-shifter", changing her position to maintain political power. That implies any promotion of her as a politician involves her already having accepted some other's agenda, and it is likely that "other" is interested in disrupting government regulation for their business interests (usually starving the economy until people work for less, and gaining political control giving better jobs to a minority or "loyal" group focused on controlling a larger group).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #11675 on: September 28, 2022, 12:55:06 pm »

Well she ran on a campaign on slashing and burning taxes, and then when she got in she slashed and burned. So, she's doing what she said she would at least.

Am mostly just unsure if the Conservatives surprised by that are surprised she stuck to what she said she would, or are just acting surprised after the terrible ideas she campaigned on became obviously terrible ideas when implemented.

There's definitely a sense that a good chunk of the Conservatives know their way too long run at government is coming to an end so they're just throwing off the mask of pretending to give a shit about anybody but their rich buds and the kickbacks they can receive from them.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: September 28, 2022, 01:36:05 pm »

My only hope is that she actually kills the Tories. It'd be fucking hilarious if they finally achieved their goal of a low-tax state and it acted as a knife to the heart of their party.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: September 29, 2022, 03:51:21 pm »

Probably an outlier, but... https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1575522731101245440?s=46&t=gO7RZ12vWuvRqtjiLQy6zw

33 point lead for Labour in a poll.

F U C K I N G L O L

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11678 on: October 03, 2022, 04:35:59 am »

Probably an outlier, but... https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1575522731101245440?s=46&t=gO7RZ12vWuvRqtjiLQy6zw

33 point lead for Labour in a poll.

F U C K I N G L O L
And now arrives the inevitable panicked U-turn from Liz and Kwasi who maintain that it was all just a bit of banter all along

The fact that he attended a champagne do with hedge-fund managers placing short positions on the pound hours after delivering his budget hara-kiri is pure coincidence I'm sure

Now I'm not saying Tory ministers would cause economic chaos just to profit off of it personally but all I'm saying is they have a lot of high net worths

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: October 18, 2022, 02:05:08 pm »

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11681 on: October 18, 2022, 03:57:05 pm »

Even funnier, they merged it into the new Ministry of Environment and Business, which is like merging the children's nursery with the famished lion enclosure

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: October 18, 2022, 06:16:44 pm »

More like merging it with the Department of Dwarf Fortress Childcare.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11683 on: October 18, 2022, 06:27:59 pm »

More like merging it with the Department of Dwarf Fortress Childcare.
Well now if it's the department of Dwarf Fortress childcare my money's on the children eating the lions

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11684 on: October 18, 2022, 06:29:52 pm »

9/10 chance the child's eaten, 1/10 chance the child emerges a traumatised combat god.
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 793