Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 988263 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2016, 01:00:17 pm »

Isn't that the same source we already determined was highly suspect?
*looks*

LOL Epoch Times...topkek for best Falun Gong news

If I see this report corroborated by a reliable media outlet, then I'll concede the point.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2016, 01:15:17 pm »

If you want to find reports about immigrants sexually assaulting women in Germany you can find plenty, especially in the current climate since New Years, media have lots of these reports.

This particular one however was debunked by Berlin police (link in German), it's not worth discussing.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2016, 01:21:48 pm »

If you want to find reports about immigrants sexually assaulting women in Germany you can find plenty, especially in the current climate since New Years, media have lots of these reports.

This particular one however was debunked by Berlin police (link in German), it's not worth discussing.

The primary problem is that you really can't trust anything that comes from the German police regarding this stuff anymore. Hell, I wouldn't trust the police of any European nation.

It's not exactly a debunking, but this is the kind of stuff that was said by the police at Rotherham before that all came to light:

+++ Information on missing persons case of a 13-year +++
In recent days, we noticed that the interest of the Internet community in the case of a 13 -year-old girl reported missing shortly from Marzahn-Hellersdorf and the circumstances of their absence are great .
Yes , it is true - the girl was reported missing a short time and is now back again. We are aware that a number of statements to be discussed on the facts in the social media .
Fact is - according to the investigations of our LKA there was neither abduction nor rape.
We explicitly ask for your understanding that we will not give details in particular to protect the girl and her family personality .
We also appeal to your sensitive handling of the issue in the social networks .

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2016, 01:33:18 pm »

Yes, you can't trust German police, better to trust a German affiliate of a virulently anti-PRC Chinese-language news service founded by a fringe religious organization. Next you'll be citing the Washington Moonie Times.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2016, 01:43:25 pm »

The primary problem is that you really can't trust anything that comes from the German police regarding this stuff anymore. Hell, I wouldn't trust the police of any European nation.
You are wasting your outrage. There are real cases to be outraged about, but this is a hoax.

Both German media and police are careful to correct and avoid the impression that they keep information back. If you read German media (which I suppose you don't), that is noticeable right now. As I said, you can find plenty of reports about sexual assaults committed by immigrants right now, even the Greens are finally officially acknowleding that. If police outright say that nothing happened, in such a sensationalized case, I'm inclined to believe them. If people here kept getting the impression they were constantly being lied to, that would be political suicide right now.

Of course if you are trusting nobody and just want to be outraged...

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2016, 01:44:54 pm »

Yes, you can't trust German police, better to trust a German affiliate of a virulently anti-PRC Chinese-language news service founded by a fringe religious organization. Next you'll be citing the Washington Moonie Times.

No, you can't trust them either. I don't trust anything on this either way.

All media lies. That's something you just have to accept. Purposeful lies, lies of omission, white lies, it doesn't matter. You have to get several secondary sources or a few primary sources to get some idea of anything approaching the truth.

The main problem is that you can't trust any political institutions either anymore. They used to be politicised but the politicisation was opposite to the way the media was, so you could get some idea of what the definite facts of something were. Now the German media and the German police lie in the same way and you have to use crazy obscure sources to get any real sort of information about a case.

As an example, the "loony" media source says that the girl was kidnapped and gangraped. The police source says that they have no evidence she was kidnapped or raped. However, they did not state sexual activity didn't occur and they admit that she was missing for a few days. The places where these two sources overlap is where the definite truth is. The majority of the time, at least.

You are wasting your outrage. There are real cases to be outraged about, but this is a hoax.

Both German media and police are careful to correct and avoid the impression that they keep information back. If you read German media (which I suppose you don't), that is noticeable right now. As I said, you can find plenty of reports about sexual assaults committed by immigrants right now, even the Greens are finally officially acknowleding that. If police outright say that nothing happened, in such a sensationalized case, I'm inclined to believe them. If people here kept getting the impression they were constantly being lied to, that would be political suicide right now.

The primary problem is that being careful to maintain an appearance does not mean it is not going on, it just means they're better at hiding it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2016, 01:52:40 pm »

you have to use crazy obscure sources to get any real sort of information about a case.

And therein lies the way down the rabbit hole. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, after all.

The primary problem is that being careful to maintain an appearance does not mean it is not going on, it just means they're better at hiding it.
The total lack of credible evidence is not evidence of the lack of a conspiracy, is what you're saying.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:55:50 pm by RedKing »

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2016, 01:58:06 pm »

you have to use crazy obscure sources to get any real sort of information about a case.

And therein lies the way down the rabbit hole. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, after all.

Of course. Any sort of questioning of facts is a conspiracy theory.

The total lack of credible evidence is not the lack of a conspiracy, is what you're saying.

Absence of evidence is, undeniably, not evidence of absence. That's just factual.

I have to ask, did you read the rest of my post or did you just cherrypick those two sentences out to respond to?

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 19, 2016, 01:58:20 pm »

A question for you, have you ever had to deal with police in their official capacity? I have & they tend to be very good at letting you know, when an issue is not worth your trouble persuing & I'm not 13 & a pretty stubborn person.

I haven't looked into the particular case to form an option on specifics, & even if I had I simply would not know, no real access to the details. Otherwise most of the above strikes me as naive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:00:42 pm by wobbly »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2016, 02:05:48 pm »

You have to get several secondary sources or a few primary sources to get some idea of anything approaching the truth.

Do you know what usually happens when people do this? They invent their own reality. They combine several sources (some of which are bullshit) and adapt it to fit their own believes and ideas.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2016, 02:12:46 pm »

The only caveat for that chart is that the color-banding can make a 1% difference look much bigger if it's on the borderline. UK is one grade below Sweden, but since each color band is 20%, that could be anything from a 1% difference to a 40% difference in prevalence. In other words "the difference between UK and sweden is somewhere between negligible and absolutely massive", which doesn't tell you anything at all. They could have at least overlayed the actual percentages on top of the map.

That's before we take into account that the wording on sexual assault surveys can massively change your "yes" response rates, different demographics respond differently to different wording (stereotype threat etc), and that's before we consider that each of these surveys is in a different language, which will have all it's own caveats and cultural implications of different wording, as well as different cultural attitudes of what constitutes harassment. Remember that Sweden also has an exceptionally high reporting rate on rapes and sexual harassment compared to other countries. Maybe Swedes are more likely to consider something as harassment that people in the UK will just brush off.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:21:36 pm by Reelya »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2016, 02:22:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

D:
Honestly? I'd expect the figures to be close to 100% everywhere. Depending on how you define sexual harassment anyway. But groping is probably a safe bet and I'd be surprised if anyone hadn't been groped even once unless they just tend to avoid people.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:24:36 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2016, 02:25:46 pm »

You have to get several secondary sources or a few primary sources to get some idea of anything approaching the truth.

Do you know what usually happens when people do this? They invent their own reality. They combine several sources (some of which are bullshit) and adapt it to fit their own believes and ideas.

Really?

Honestly? I'd expect the figures to be close to 100% everywhere. Depending on how you define sexual harassment anyway. But groping is probably a safe bet and I'd be surprised if anyone hadn't been groped even once unless they just tend to avoid people.

The real world isn't all that bad.

I'd say the other caveat is that modern feminism has turned 'sexual harassment' into a very nebulous term, unfortunately. I'm sure many of us remember 'Elevator-gate'. We have no idea how much of that sexual harassment is people being legitimately abused, and how much is someone getting upset for being called 'darling'.

The graphic would probably be more useful if it showed sexual assault statistics, or rapes.

EDIT: You edited your post to address this, I see.

Rape reports in Sweden have went up 900% since they started unrestricted immigration. That's over a 36 year period but Norway and Denmark have not gotten anywhere near the same increase in that time period.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:35:25 pm by nullBolt »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2016, 02:43:40 pm »

The real world isn't all that bad.
I'm not saying it is bad. But to be counted on those statistics it only takes one incident of harassment. Same as how I'd expect near 100% of drivers to have been involved in a traffic collision, or near 100% of people to have ended up a patient in hospital. It's not that it happens all the time, but it happens to basically everybody to some extent.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 793