Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1014430 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5205 on: March 16, 2017, 12:33:54 pm »

Actualy, while I've seen threads locked and posts deleted due to discussions on politics, I don't really remember any case of discussions on religion ever reaching that point. Some people are just scared of putting it on the table for whatever reason, while discussions on politics blow up threads every now and then.

So ye, unless anyone can point me to specific events in which discussions on religion exploded, I don't see any reason to be afraid of the topic, even when it smacks into the polthreads, which is relevant, in this specific case.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:36:29 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: March 16, 2017, 12:40:09 pm »

If Martinuzzz (or Toady, though I can't imagine why he would bother assuming no one ignores the thread OP) says take it to another thread, sure, but I'd say it's not really the place of others to start telling people to do so. YMMV though - it's just that most forums I've been on are understandably wary of backseat moderation.

For my part, given the current 'hot-button issues' in the EU, the discussion seems relevant. But regardless, it's the OP's call.
Seconding this, I think Islam and religion are an important aspect of modern day European politics, and should thus be discussed within the politics thread. Geert didn't get 20 seats for nothing.

However, others are also right in saying that x is barbaric or not should not happen here.

Let's make a dutch-style compromise and allow the discussion of religions in political context, not theological/ideological.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5207 on: March 16, 2017, 01:11:29 pm »

Nah everything will be ok as long as we have bread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: March 16, 2017, 01:13:39 pm »

Let loose the loaves of war.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: March 16, 2017, 01:16:12 pm »

Didnt social democrats and the other government party together still lose like half of their seats?

I mean, the "anti-populist victory" here is that Wilders' didnt win as much as was feared, ainnit?

Indeed. It's not quite the result I was hoping for, but with the current PM losing a bunch of seats and Wilders gaining five to edge into second place (just beating CDA and D66 according to the last result I saw), it's not terrible either. I'm surprised that Sheb would term the largest opposition party 'in the wilderness', but hey, whatever works for you.

Wilders had much higher support in the past actually, in the previous election he lost a lot of votes, and with his current "victory" he does not even come close to reaching his old levels.

2010: 24 seats
2012: 15 seats
2017: 20 seats

Note that in 2010 Wilders was given actual role in goverment, he was part of a coalition with CDA and VVD in some kind of shady construct where the PVV did not have to carry full responsibilities.
Wilders made a mess of it, and actually chose to make the coalition collapse early leading to the elections of 2012.

He was rightfully punished by the electorate at that time, but alas, people have short memories.
The votes in the current election are divided over a lot of parties, while the PVV might turn out to be the second party in size, he now represents only 13% of the population. That does not translate into the great patriotic spring that we have been hearing so much about.

The main reason the other parties do not want to work with Wilders now is not a "cordonne sanitaire" but the fact that both experiments we had in the Netherlands in working with populists in our goverment have miserably failed due to their incompetence.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:24:13 pm by Bralbaard »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: March 16, 2017, 01:20:15 pm »

Wasn't there a reduction in the number of MP or something?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: March 16, 2017, 01:26:12 pm »

No, his 2010 result represented 15,5% of the national vote.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: March 21, 2017, 11:12:58 am »

https://www.facebook.com/william.frazer.58/videos/1485651734787246/

Apologies for the facebook source. A bit rough, but essentially correct. I didn't wish Martin dead in so far as I don't wish anyone dead, but I'll certainly not weep for him either.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: March 21, 2017, 11:39:39 am »

I have no idea who this 'Machine Gun Marty' is. Also sounds like the nickname of some gangster in the 1920s and 1930s.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: March 21, 2017, 11:46:01 am »

Martin McGuinness. IRA terrorist leader cum Sinn Fein politician. Known to have personally performed and ordered murders, when the IRA was through he took to the ballot box where the media lapped up his "new leaf" spiel, presumably as a tactic to give Republicans a figure to follow towards peace.

Well, at least someone isn't worried about being politically correct: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4335196/Good-riddance-McGuinness-writes-Katie-Hopkins.html
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:52:10 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: March 21, 2017, 02:16:14 pm »

Daily Mail as a source. Oh my. I guess that means he was one of the good guys after all.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: March 21, 2017, 03:46:17 pm »

Daily Mail as a source. Oh my. I guess that means he was one of the good guys after all.

He was a terrorist and a child murderer. Whether you think his later efforts toward peace atone for that or not, it's not really something to be flippant about.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Three-year-old Johnathan Ball died at the scene. He had been in town with his babysitter, shopping for a Mother's Day card. The second victim, 12-year-old Tim Parry, was gravely wounded. He died on 25 March 1993 when doctors switched his life support machine off, having asked permission to do so from his family, after tests had found minimal brain activity.[6] Fifty-four other people were injured, four of them seriously.
oh so hes just like obama then he kills children with remote operated toys. lol anti-santa hehe

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: March 21, 2017, 04:40:07 pm »

Hm, I wonder whether you guys feel quite as strongly about the jolly soldiers of the 1 Para. You know, the guys who massacred a bunch of unarmed civilians. Including a bunch of kids, in case that's important to you.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: March 21, 2017, 04:53:07 pm »

Legitimate military action, I imagine will be the call.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: March 21, 2017, 05:15:03 pm »

Hm, I wonder whether you guys feel quite as strongly about the jolly soldiers of the 1 Para. You know, the guys who massacred a bunch of unarmed civilians. Including a bunch of kids, in case that's important to you.

That's whataboutism,  Helgo. We were talking about Martin McGuinness, not the Paras, if you hadn't noticed.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 795