Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1014471 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6465 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:15 am »

I think the takeaway is that an oxytocin spray and the right pressures make people more likely to support immigrants.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: August 16, 2017, 08:13:16 am »

I think the takeaway is that an oxytocin spray and the right pressures make people more likely to support immigrants.

I kind of love the idea of governments prescribing mood altering or mind altering drugs in order for you to fit more ideally in their ideologies.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: August 16, 2017, 08:13:54 am »

Which is hardly surprising as those things are linked to making people more altruistic. Not that this study is particularily interesting and/or relevent, apart from providing an excuse to diss each others.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: August 16, 2017, 08:19:16 am »

Relaxed people are less stressed... Who knew? :P

Though the delicious part is just the implication that it might be prescribed in the future. Question is what country will do that first?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: August 16, 2017, 08:24:35 am »

Which is hardly surprising as those things are linked to making people more altruistic. Not that this study is particularily interesting and/or relevent, apart from providing an excuse to diss each others.

Well, except from the literal idea of medicinally brainwashing people which the paper chose to frame the research in.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: August 16, 2017, 08:35:00 am »

Am I guessing by that response Sciver that the intent of the research wasn't even that but rather that is how people politicized the research?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: August 16, 2017, 08:45:38 am »

I don't know how the research was done, only the slant of the article. That's why I put it that way.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: August 16, 2017, 08:48:37 am »

I mean I guess they might have been trying to find a link between Xenophobia and stress or agitation... and found that people who are less aggressive and stressed out tend to be less Xenophobic?

Then FREEKEN AGAIN how the WORLD did they come up with that drug? I REALLY hope they weren't prescribing it for that experiment. I guess it is possible it was demographics and found people who took a lot of that drug tended to be more favorable towards foreigners.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:06 am »

Oxytocin as a medical drug has been around a while neonivek.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: August 16, 2017, 09:19:59 am »

Actual research press release

When they ask prescriptive questions like "How can people who tend to have a xenophobic attitude be motivated to be more altruistic?" people tend to question their motives as they make it sound like xenophobia is a mental illness - a plague - that needs to be cured.

Imagine if they started drugging all the asocial or introverted to be more extrovert.

Xenophobia is nowhere near debilitating enough for the "afflicted" person's normal life to need a "cure". Hell, I wouldn't even qualify it as a phobia. How many of the so-called "xenophobes" start having a panic attack at the sight of a refugee?

That doesn't take into account just how xenophobia is very human. Fear of the unknown, like avoiding animals with aggressive colors. The animal may not be dangerous in reality, but that doesn't mean the cat should go curiously poking around.

And this is all while taking the research out of the contemporary and political context it's surrounded in.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:22:07 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: August 16, 2017, 09:24:45 am »

Actually it is pretty insulting that rejecting immigration is deemed a phobia to begin with.

A phobia is an irrational fear. Rejecting immigration is a stance on a political issue.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:24 am »

It doesn't help that a LOT of the arguments for rejecting immigrants often are sort of irrationalities.

Then again in some of these cases the country cannot support the influx of immigrants and should probably hold back.

The problem... is that if you cannot get an amount, it becomes a problem of ideology rather than practicality. :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:49 am »

Actually it is pretty insulting that rejecting immigration is deemed a phobia to begin with.

A phobia is an irrational fear. Rejecting immigration is a stance on a political issue.

Well, that's the word we're stuck with. Just like everyone knows that Homophobes don't go in panic attacks when they see men kissing and that anti-semites actually don't hate non-jewish semitic people, people know that xenophobia isn't technically a phobia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: August 17, 2017, 11:31:49 am »

Van plows through crowded boulevard in Barcelona.
Plot twist: Antitourist terrorism. /s

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: August 17, 2017, 11:43:17 am »

My family lives there.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 795