Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 975218 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6735 on: September 23, 2017, 05:12:20 pm »

what have you been smoking?
dank news

Probably better off for middle east thread though

EDIT: meanwhile in Spain, the Spanish government has taken away all power and authority from the regional police in Catalonia, and will transfer 5000 police officers from the national police to Catalonia to take control.
In response, people have taken to the streets en masse in Barcelona, sleeping in the streets, and determined not to leave until the referendum date.
They wot

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: September 23, 2017, 05:20:33 pm »

How could that move help with anything? Are they actively trying to make it worse?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6737 on: September 23, 2017, 05:30:08 pm »

How could that move help with anything? Are they actively trying to make it worse?
Suppose the most important thing would be whether the Catalonian Spanish support the Spanish national police presence

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: September 23, 2017, 05:33:14 pm »

To clarify: They transferred control of the regional police from the regional goverment to the central goverment. They haven't abolished the regional police.

They do have thousands of Civil Guard (aka MP)  in ships in the Barcelona harbor, though

Suppose the most important thing would be whether the Catalonian Spanish support the Spanish national police presence
A very good question to which I dont have an answer.

I'd hazard that since in the last 4 years positions have grown increasingly polarized, a good deal of them sympzthize with the right wing central goverment, so they might be ok with it.

Then again... the Guardia Civil tends to be notoriously heavy handed if not outright brutal.   I'm thinking even they might find an intervention by them unpleasant, if only for practical rather than ideological terms.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:39:27 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: September 23, 2017, 05:42:01 pm »

So... is there any terrorist related nonsense they're worried about from the Catalonians? 'cause holy shit overreact much
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: September 23, 2017, 06:02:04 pm »

No. They want to completely dismantle the apparatus for the referendum the first of october, they´re uncertain as to what the regional police will do, and want to make sure they have the manpower to deal with it. I don´t think that worries about terrorism are really on the table at present.

As an addenum: That the central goverment would strongarm the referendum into not happening was a given, and I suspect that wasn´t even the real angle of the Govern. I think  that their real aim was to scare the conservative party into agreeing to a comission to study territorial reform in Spain, which they did. IMO it will be in that comission where we´ll be seeing important stuff take place. 

Some more trivia: apparently the National Police and the Civil Guard units transferred to Catalonia are rather unhappy about it, because it was done with little prior warning, cancelling leaves, and because the lodgings at the ships provided by the goverment are rather shitty.  Some of them uploaded footage of the place complaining that it was a "first class hole".
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:06:07 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: September 24, 2017, 12:21:52 am »

This happening right now makes the German election even more boring by comparison.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: September 24, 2017, 08:48:35 am »

Are they trying to anger the Catalonians into outright seccession? Because this is how you do it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: September 24, 2017, 08:51:22 am »

No. They want to completely dismantle the apparatus for the referendum the first of october, they´re uncertain as to what the regional police will do, and want to make sure they have the manpower to deal with it. I don´t think that worries about terrorism are really on the table at present.

As an addenum: That the central goverment would strongarm the referendum into not happening was a given, and I suspect that wasn´t even the real angle of the Govern. I think  that their real aim was to scare the conservative party into agreeing to a comission to study territorial reform in Spain, which they did. IMO it will be in that comission where we´ll be seeing important stuff take place.

If the referendum is an aim to scare the Spanisn conservative party into agreeing to territorial reform, it's a hell of a way to do it.

edit: meant to edit previous post...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: September 24, 2017, 09:46:50 am »

Its probably the only way they were going to do it. They've not fulfilled yet the full terms of the Gernika agreement for Basque self goverment, and that was 30 years ago

EDIT: Relevant Addenum: Spanish Newspaper El Pais has published a poll done recently in Catalunya

https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/09/23/catalunya/1506191226_220170.html

Some highlights

- 60% of Catalonians regard the current referendum as invalid

- That being said, 82% of Catalonians are in favor of holding a referendum. Most notably, even voters of ostensibly centralist parties are in favor (57% of Ciudadanos voters, 49% of PP voters)

- Catalonian PP voters show a certain degree of obvliviousness as 65% of them think its more likely for a PP central goverment to agree to a referendum than any other goverment
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:18:58 am by ChairmanPoo »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: September 24, 2017, 11:47:48 am »

The political landscape has shifted quite much today...
alt-right like afd party is third

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: September 24, 2017, 12:13:10 pm »

what have you been smoking?

i dunno but i wanna share
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: September 24, 2017, 12:49:56 pm »

This happening right now makes the German election even more boring by comparison.

Merkel is quietly elected to fourth term as German chancellor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: September 24, 2017, 05:01:27 pm »

Nothing 'quietly' about it. More like, the biggest landslide in politics in Germany since ww2, with 13% of all votes going to the NSDAP AfD.
Worrisome. I hope we don't need to nuke Heroshima and Nagasaki again (unless KJU beats us to it).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6749 on: September 24, 2017, 05:46:15 pm »

>biggest landslide
>13%
pretty lame tbh
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 793