Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 991767 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7050 on: October 24, 2017, 12:51:40 pm »

Transatlantic Semantic Battle. Sounds like a good name for a rap competition.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: October 24, 2017, 01:18:33 pm »

There's still a loophole in the new agreement though; Employers get a 1 year leniency period (extendable to 18 months in special circumstances), in which they can still pay their 'temporary' workers minimum wage.
So... was it put there and nobody noticed, or was it intentional in the hope of getting it shot down or to fan up support back home?

I mean, what's the point if you can just fire and rehire every year?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: October 24, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »

It's to appease the Czech Republic, who demanded a 24 month leniency period, or they'd Czexit.

In many countries though, there are already laws in place that forbid firing and rehiring within a certain timeframe, so it's not an infinite loophole.
For example, over here, a company can only give someone a flex (temporary) contract for a maximum of (I believe it is) 2 years. After that, they have to offer a permanent contract, or fire. Also, if a temporary contract ends, there is a 6 month cooldown before the company can offer another temporary contract to the same employee.

That doesn't mean they can't fire one worker, and rehire another, although I believe there's legislation under construction to tackle that issue.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:58:48 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: October 24, 2017, 01:59:56 pm »

How come they wanted a 24 month leniency period?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: October 24, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »

So they can keep sending cheap workers to work for 2 years (and send money back home). It's not a leniency until the new agreement is enacted, it's a leniency forever enshrined in the agreement.

There also is a 4 or 5 year transition period before the new agreement is enacted  :P

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: October 24, 2017, 02:26:23 pm »

In Austria, meanwhile, there has been "a rise in share of [the] foreign-born population over the last 10 years," Rohac said. "Austrians will tell you they sort of fear becoming a minority in their own country, which is sort of silly. But the pace of change has been dramatic. … The hysteria over immigration is really unprecedented in this part of the world."
Ayy lmao stop being hysterical why we replace you
This makes me sick to my stomach. If some other part of the world was being replaced by whites (for example, if South Africa had a higher growth rate among whites than blacks) people would be screaming racism and genocide.

Also, I'm surprised at the lack of discussion regarding the Austrian election.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:31:18 pm by Pwnzerfaust »
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: October 24, 2017, 02:31:37 pm »

In Austria, meanwhile, there has been "a rise in share of [the] foreign-born population over the last 10 years," Rohac said. "Austrians will tell you they sort of fear becoming a minority in their own country, which is sort of silly. But the pace of change has been dramatic. … The hysteria over immigration is really unprecedented in this part of the world."
This makes me sick to my stomach. If some other part of the world was being replaced by whites (for example, if South Africa had a higher growth rate among whites than blacks) people would be screaming racism and genocide.

I seriously dispute that, especially if it was just due to demographic reason (aka, no discrimination against an ethnic group, no one being killed). Hell, people don't even call it genocide in Tibet, where you have clear discriminationa gainst Tibetans.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: October 24, 2017, 02:45:03 pm »

Also, I'm surprised at the lack of discussion regarding the Austrian election.

Sounds like the UN trying to push an agenda. Also, replace Austria in that quote with America/Americans and you have the same sort of fear of becoming a demographic minority among some.

Also, genocide has a very specific definition. Seems more a fear of 'cultural genocide' rather than 'ethnic genocide' because people are just scared of change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: October 24, 2017, 04:00:10 pm »

Meh. I just picture a German seeing one too many Doner kebab stands and screaming that they're being genocided.
Delicious, juicy genocide.

And as smjjames said, there's a lot of whitey angst over here about the "browning" of America.

I'm sure the Celts said the same thing about the Romans. Then the Romano-Celts said the same thing about these fucking Saxons. And then the Saxons said it about the Normans. And now their 25xgreat-grand kids are saying it about people from, y'know, all those places they conquered.

Cultures change. It's what they do.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:51 pm »

Fatalism helps no one.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: October 24, 2017, 04:18:08 pm »

I'm sure the Native Americans said the same about Europeans too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:24:20 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: October 24, 2017, 04:20:39 pm »

I'm not sure how that's fatalistic, unless you abhor the thought of change.

About the only extant culture which even existed more than 1000 years ago are the Chinese, and even there Han culture has undergone enormous change and imported ideas (and DNA) from numerous outside populations.

@scriver: Uh...think that's a misquote.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: October 24, 2017, 04:26:51 pm »

About the only extant culture which even existed more than 1000 years ago are the Chinese, and even there Han culture has undergone enormous change and imported ideas (and DNA) from numerous outside populations.

*most of Africa screams for correction, as do just about every indengenous tribe, even if they may not have been in the area they currently are for the last 1000 years*

Japanese as well, and you might say the Hindu culture. Those are just the ones which remained in one area and remained dominant over a large region.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: October 24, 2017, 04:30:11 pm »

I'm not sure how that's fatalistic, unless you abhor the thought of change.
Some change is better than others. Change for change's sake is dangerous.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: October 24, 2017, 04:36:57 pm »

If they're so afraid of losing culture, then they should promote culture, like "It's awesome to be <insert country name>!", it's called cultural acclimation and absorption. It's what the Romans did, except they did it more forcefully and partially through the awe of civilization.
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 793