Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 987743 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7155 on: October 30, 2017, 01:46:38 pm »

No, I don't think you're joking. It's a ludicrous idea to be sure, but a very common one throughout history when people have let themselves conflate contempt with intellectualism.
Who said anything about intellectualism?
I agree, it sounded more like it was about gleeful murder.
Nah, hopeful xenophobia. Unwashed is undefined, but one can assume they likely didn’t include themselves in what they meant.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: October 30, 2017, 01:57:21 pm »

I'm not unwashed, of course, I keep very clean. Anyone else is fair game.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: October 30, 2017, 02:25:17 pm »

No, I don't think you're joking. It's a ludicrous idea to be sure, but a very common one throughout history when people have let themselves conflate contempt with intellectualism.
Who said anything about intellectualism?

No one yet, but people who maintain that Those People Should All Die have historically put forth the argument that they are intellectually superior to Those People when pressed for a reason to justify genocide. Often, it's used to explain how Those People have no future anyway, so killing them en masse is hardly murder and in fact better for the Real People who might actually make something of themselves and so a good thing on balance.

Basically, when people look around their basement and realize they're the smartest (read: only) person they've seen today, they start crying for the blood of those weird people outside and calling themselves smart and sophisticated and resolute for doing so. There's always someone doing it, and proudly. We're always one hue and cry away from genocide.

So no, I'm not surprised, or shocked, or possessed of the belief you're joking. Just profoundly disappointed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:27:41 pm by Trekkin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: October 30, 2017, 02:39:53 pm »

I'm not unwashed, of course, I keep very clean. Anyone else is fair game.
Ah, the good old "every human except me should die."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: October 30, 2017, 03:39:24 pm »

Puigdemont and 5 of his ministers have fled to Brussels, and according to Catalonian media, will apply for political asylum in Belgium, to escape standing trial for rebellion, which can get them 30 (to 40?) years in prison.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/catalaanse-leider-puigdemont-en-vijf-ministers-in-brussel-voor-politiek-asiel~a4526410/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:41:00 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: October 31, 2017, 06:47:13 am »

Redwall's post didnt sound like "Abolish all borders" to me. I read it as "People should try to get along better rather than marking out their lines in the sand and saying "MINE! all MINE! NOBODY ELSE can tell me what do do with it""
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: October 31, 2017, 07:06:02 am »

People: We don't want to be governed by Government any more, we want to govern ourselves. We're holding this democratic vote to see if we have enough support among the People to declare independence from them.
Government: No you won't! *sends in military police*
People: *900 people are injured*
Redwall: "You People really should try and get along better with Government and help them out. Nothing good comes from drawing lines in the sand."
900 injured People: ??? ??? ???
Love, scriver~

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: October 31, 2017, 09:13:21 am »

People: We don't want to be governed by Government any more, we want to govern ourselves. We're holding this democratic vote to see if we have enough support among the People to declare independence from them.
Government: No you won't! *sends in military police*
People: *900 people are injured*
Redwall: "You People really should try and get along better with Government and help them out. Nothing good comes from drawing lines in the sand."
900 injured People: ??? ??? ???
Okay people, stop using this shitty debate tactic. taking a general quote out of context and assuming it means a specific thing in a extreme form. It is a really annoying thing that people do and its ticking me off.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:53 am »

Maybe try framing your arguments better?  :-\

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: October 31, 2017, 10:03:35 am »

How is that out of context of the discussion? The discussion was about Catalonia.
Love, scriver~

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: October 31, 2017, 10:18:28 am »

Maybe try framing your arguments better?  :-\
Because it wasn't an argument, just a statement.

How is that out of context of the discussion? The discussion was about Catalonia.
Because I never specified any specific group and you just assumed the most convenient interpretation to attempt to discredit my statement.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: October 31, 2017, 10:35:42 am »

Ah, so you just happened to say something stupid completely apropos nothing, and that it looks exactly like something said in the context of the Catalonia discussion is just pure coincidence. Okay, that's cool. I hear you.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: October 31, 2017, 10:46:42 am »

Puigdemont and 5 of his ministers have fled to Brussels, and according to Catalonian media, will apply for political asylum in Belgium, to escape standing trial for rebellion, which can get them 30 (to 40?) years in prison.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/catalaanse-leider-puigdemont-en-vijf-ministers-in-brussel-voor-politiek-asiel~a4526410/

He's also saying that he's not applying for asylum and escaping justice, just trying to speak freely, and keeping his options open. Sounds like he is trying to not look like Yanukovich and escape justice whole at the same time abandoning his country. Trying to balance the optics of it.

@scriver: He was complaining about Madrid choosing to create further division rather than trying to work with the Catalans to address their grievances. It just ended up being said in a way that got misunderstood, I don't think he was talking about borders here neccesarily.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: October 31, 2017, 10:59:25 am »

Our minister of immigration, who is from the nationalist separatist flemish party invited him as a PR coup.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: October 31, 2017, 11:05:17 am »

I had seen that actually. Thought it was a little odd that Belgium would offer asylum since Brussels (in Belgium!) is the seat of the EU and the EU wants nothing to do with the Catalan crisis.

I also saw somewhere that a Belgian MP (I think it was Belgian) was doing some resolution to allow separatists of EU countries to stay in the EU, or something like that. Seemed like a preemptive move in case Belgium split into two.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:08:15 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 793