Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 975242 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7275 on: November 29, 2017, 07:58:58 pm »

Isn't that what Interpol does?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: November 29, 2017, 08:40:01 pm »

I think Interpol are more of a liaison thing between police forces of various nationalities.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: November 30, 2017, 06:17:49 am »

I honestly don't know, it's the impression I've got from various depictions of it in entertainment which isn't neccessarily correct xD

Anyways, in other, balkan related news, seems that this morning a dude in Sarajevo was caught snooping around the US embassy, armed with both guns and explosives. Got caught in a random checkup it seems, not sure if or when it'll hit international news sources since it's kind of a local thing atm, tho with the US embassy being involved as a potential target it's only a matter of time.

Edit:
Nope, US embassy wasn't involved, instead it was a random checkup of his car after being stopped by the police. Dude had a bunch of guns, ammo, grenades and apparently a bazooka of some sort. Furthermore, he was fighting in Syria for some time before coming back home and being convicted for it. He then served 3 months (out of a years sentence) and was let go? I'm not sure why or how but he seems to have a travel ban until he serves the rest of it, which is kinda fuckin' dumb. He asked for it to be removed so he could visit his wife in Serbia (who was exiled because she was deemed a threat to national security).

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:24:44 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: November 30, 2017, 06:58:15 am »

First thought about the three months stuff is that he had been three months in jail during the trial and that that counts against his prison time.

Purely speculating though.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:16 pm »

Something interesting, the research/pollster group Chatham House did a study on the political spectrum regarding the EU and found that there are six political tribes ranging from the totally anti-EU to the federalists (most pro-EU). https://www.politico.eu/article/study-identifies-europes-six-political-tribes/

Though IMO, 10,000 people seems like a small sample given that 10 countries were looked at.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7280 on: November 30, 2017, 09:55:11 pm »

Mildly interesting but not anything revelationary
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Doesn't take a genius to figure out Europe is split like this. You got the extremes of 14% that oppose the EU ardently, the 8% that want the EU to centralize faster, the 9% who got europoored, the 9% that want to be more pro-EU but balk at the obvious criticisms, the 23% that like the way things are and the majority 36% that doesn't like the way things are but not to such a degree that they don't believe the problems can be solved within the EU. This pretty much corresponds to most all positions really. You get the two extreme wings of an opinion who are set in their beliefs and everyone in the middle that is drawn to one side but not committed

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: November 30, 2017, 10:03:06 pm »

Please adjust these polling results for institutional bias by adding 16 points to federalists, 20 points to contented europeans, and 10 points to frustrated pro-europeans while subtracting 9 points from austerity rebels, 15 points from hesitant europeans, and 9 points from EU rejectors. The European Scientific Commission Review Board thanks you for your time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: December 01, 2017, 05:30:39 am »

The analysis surveyed more than 10,000 Europeans in 10 EU countries

So yay, another hipster research of a waaaaay too small group to be anywhere near representative for 'the EU population'.
It's a shame they even got paid to do that research.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:46:17 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: December 01, 2017, 06:42:24 am »

So yay, another hipster research of a waaaaay too small group to be anywhere near representative for 'the EU population'.

But you can do statistics with a sample group of 10,000 just fine.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7284 on: December 01, 2017, 06:55:26 am »

In theory, perhaps. In practice, the population of the EU was around 510 million in 2016. That means their sample size as a percentage is about 0.002%. It's... not compelling.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: December 01, 2017, 06:57:50 am »

Not when trying to represent a population of 743 511 (the frist number was for Europe, not EU) million, especially when leaving out nearly two thirds of it's member states as well.

It's wish-thinking of those that like to see a federal EU to think that it's possible to simplify 28 separate national political entities down to a common denominator.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:03:09 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: December 01, 2017, 07:37:33 am »

In theory, perhaps. In practice, the population of the EU was around 510 million in 2016. That means their sample size as a percentage is about 0.002%. It's... not compelling.

You can calculate the uncertainty introduced by having a sample group of this size.

Your required sample sized rises a lot less quickly than your population size:

How many people are there in the group your sample represents? This may be the number of people in a city you are studying, the number of people who buy new cars, etc. Often you may not know the exact population size. This is not a problem. The mathematics of probability prove that the size of the population is irrelevant unless the size of the sample exceeds a few percent of the total population you are examining. This means that a sample of 500 people is equally useful in examining the opinions of a state of 15,000,000 as it would a city of 100,000
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:47:03 pm by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: December 01, 2017, 07:44:02 am »

What's the source of that statistic anyway?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: December 01, 2017, 08:11:37 am »

more than overall sample size, the problem lies in how those are distributed in the 10 EU countries, and the fact that they only examined 10 EU countries. Even if they picked the ones with largest population, that is still leaving out a sizeable portion.

Even being a federalist myself, I think politics and opinions of different EU countries can be quite different, especially on such a topic.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: December 01, 2017, 09:36:34 am »

What's the source of that statistic anyway?

This report by Chatham House, a British think-tank.

I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about. 10.000 is a pretty big sample size. As for the 10 countries, well, the top 10 EU countries have 80% of the population between them. This probably gives you a good idea of the average EU citizen. Sure, there are certainly variations between countries, but the graph doesn't make any claim about proportions within specific countries. It's as if you were complaining that a US-wide presidential poll is bad, because it's not representative of Alabama's GOP leaning.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 793