Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 991533 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8355 on: July 20, 2018, 05:15:17 am »

Our minds are not kept in the flesh, our minds are the flesh. To upload a mind into a computer the computer would have to be made out of flesh, flesh identical to yours.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: July 20, 2018, 07:49:29 am »

Our minds are not kept in the flesh, our minds are the flesh. To upload a mind into a computer the computer would have to be made out of flesh, flesh identical to yours.
Our brains are just exceptionally efficient meat computers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: July 20, 2018, 08:03:02 am »

Our brains are just exceptionally efficient meat computers.

Well, the difference is that with computers, you have hardware, and you have software which run on the hardware. With minds you have fleshware, and the "software" is the same as the "hardware", it's all flesh.
Love, scriver~

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: July 20, 2018, 08:39:59 am »

There are many differences between computers and brains. For one thing many of the decisions you make and how you feel are influenced by hormones, and all kinds of chemistry related to the current state of your body and its needs. You can not expect to upload some data from your brain into a computer and expect the result to have your personality.
I don't see a reason either to immediately terminate the human subject after a copy has been made either. Might be worthwile to compare the two for a while to see how bad a job was done on the uploaded copy. Terminating the human at a later date however will likely raise additional questions on ethics.

Anyhow, the demise of the human race by an AI uprising does not appear to be a problem specific to European politics.
On that subject I can only say that this whole mess with Trump is at least making the EU seem relevant.
For most people in Europe the EU has always been this distant body that nobody really cared about, and if they did it was only to complain. It actually looks like we'll need it in the future.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: July 20, 2018, 09:13:22 am »

Though you might be right, just saying "influenced by hormones" or similar isn't really a good argument against being able to simulate a system. That particular argument is no more valid than saying you can't model the trajectory of a golf ball, because golf balls are "influenced by the wind". Just model the goddamn wind as well then. The flow of hormones throughout the bloodstream is in fact much  easier to model than a neural network, so if you're modeling a human brain already, then adding in correct modeling for hormones is the least of your problems.

Any material system can be formulated as a series of equations, going down to modelling the quantum mechanics if needed. So in principle you just model the atoms themselves, and that includes modelling blood vessels, hormones, oxygen etc. It's do-able. The ability to model things at the atomic level is proof of concept that it can be done at all, but in practice it's massive overkill, since you can always find details that can be abstracted away / assumed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:23:46 am by Reelya »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: July 20, 2018, 10:28:08 am »

I was trying to say that moddeling the brain is far, far more complicated than just mapping the neurons. Neurons are living things that have rna synthesis, proteïns etc influencing stuff.
You are right that we can model stuff up to a certain point. To move this back to European politics, we could probably build a model that up to a certain accuracy simulates Theresa May, and predict what decisions she will take. It may actually end up being quite accurate for an outside observer, but that Theresa may model would not experience the world in a similar way as the Theresa may that we currently have. I would be quite hesitant to release it upon the world.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: July 20, 2018, 10:34:04 am »

One TM PM is more than enough.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: July 20, 2018, 11:38:56 am »

Why? Once we have the first TM-PM build we could easily produce thousands. We could even tweak the settings so that it expresses her defining characteristics more clearly!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: July 20, 2018, 12:56:44 pm »

Why? Once we have the first TM-PM build we could easily produce thousands. We could even tweak the settings so that it expresses her defining characteristics more clearly!
We shall abolish the orgasm.  Boris Johnson's photographer is at work upon it now. There will be no loyalty, except loyalty towards tautologies. There will be no love, except the love of cake and chlorinated chicken. There will be no laughter, except the laugh over Benny Hill reruns. There will be no art, no literature, no science. There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always — do not forget this, Bralbraad — always there will be the intoxication of shitposting, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. If you want a picture of Potato Brexit, imagine two trolls and their sockpuppets trolling each other on an internet forum — forever.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8364 on: July 22, 2018, 11:00:16 am »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6831580/boris-johnson-to-remain-in-his-20million-taxpayer-funded-mansion-for-weeks-despite-resigning-as-foreign-secretary/
In Bojo news, Bojo staying in the mansion you apparently get if you become foreign secretary

Despite having his own house which he's renting

Despite not even being foreign secretary anymore

I get that this is standard politician practice but the fact that it's not even extraordinary makes things even more depressing

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: July 22, 2018, 12:23:05 pm »

Dear sweet baby jesus. While The Sun isn't exactly a reliable source, it also doesn't seem entirely out of place for this to be a real thing.

We have grown docile and manageable. Even though we've never won a fight on home soil, the British desperately need to try.  How do we learn to rekindle our fury against the corrupt and greedy?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: July 22, 2018, 01:19:11 pm »

I believe we already did that. Its results are most often called "Brexit."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: July 22, 2018, 01:24:46 pm »

I see what you did there.

I also don’t see the difference between the EU political class and the British political class.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: July 22, 2018, 01:30:15 pm »

The British political class are more behoven to us and need to appear to care about us more than the EU ones do. Other than that, not a huge difference.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: July 22, 2018, 01:32:03 pm »

Only if you live in England, though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 793