Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 974711 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8385 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10:27 am »

I guess that’s what happens when you think that a very slight majority is good reason for doing something unprecedented on a very short time limit.

Wouldn't you have said the opposite if the Scottoff referendum had been a Leave
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: July 25, 2018, 09:08:34 am »

Calm yourself.

And I disagree. It is traitorous. Ask for the terms of Brexit to be altered, ask for new people to negotiate it. I may not be in agreement, but I would understand trying to get the best deal for our combined peoples.

But to stop it is to render the democratic process moot. The people voted on in or out, not in; out; or maybe, we might change our minds later.

As for your YouGov figures, you ommit the 53 per cent who believe it should go ahead.

Edited out some unfortunate phrasing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:17:47 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: July 25, 2018, 09:13:20 am »

This whole absolute majority thing is complete bullshit. I'm not democratically minded at all though, because I think that we, the people, are too easily led and too ridiculously fucking dumb and shortsighted to be allowed to rule ourselves and I think we've proved that point very well of late.

Calling for a second referendum is not traitorous or treasonous because the entire Leave side of the argument was built on tonnes of ridiculous lies, which were only exposed as such to the majority -after- we were done voting.  A vote based on falsehoods cannot be binding.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: July 25, 2018, 09:14:20 am »

Calm yourself.
'Chill out dude, I only called you a traitor.'

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:24 am »

A vote based on falsehoods cannot be binding.
Why not?

No, really, think about it, why not? It legitimately does reflect the views of the electorate at the time of the vote, and who's to say what is truth and what is falsehood? It could just as easily be the case that the "debunking" is propaganda as that the original statements were. Most likely, both are.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: July 25, 2018, 09:18:20 am »

And I disagree. It is traitorous. Ask for the terms of Brexit to be altered, ask for new people to negotiate it. I may not be in agreement, but I would understand trying to get the best deal for our combined peoples.

It is by no standards whatsoever traitorous to believe that Brexit (or any momentous and deeply controversial act) is a mistake and to campaign against such, and only a madman or an imbecile could genuinely believe that. Labelling people you personally or politically disagree with as "traitorous" is a long-standing tradition in political discourse of those without any actual arguments.

or do you fantasize that everyone who thinks that it was a bad idea "doth compass or imagine the death of our lord the King, or of our lady his Queen or of their eldest son and heir"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: July 25, 2018, 09:40:37 am »

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2018-03-29/Wells%20Brexit%201-01.jpg

Which 53%

And I'm pissed. Of course I'm going to be pissed. For 2 years I've been called traitorous scum for not immediately abandoning my views and getting 100% behind brexit, now I'm being told I should be imprisoned for it, and you agree with them. I'm sick to the gills of this shit. I'm actually becoming embarrassed to be British. Granted I never took pride in it, I'm not a person that takes pride in that kind of thing, but I was at least thankful to have been born here and not somewhere shittier. Now I'm actually beginning to wish I wasn't. Were I in the position to, I'd happily leave this island. Unfortunately I won't be until I finish university, which will be a couple of years after the Brexit shitstorm happens.
Nowhere did I say that you should be imprisoned. Just that  any action to undermine the nation's decision is traitorous. It is a betrayal of the democratic process to say "nope, we're going to try again and see if this time the results favour me".

It is by no standards whatsoever traitorous to believe that Brexit (or any momentous and deeply controversial act) is a mistake and to campaign against such, and only a madman or an imbecile could genuinely believe that
Then you have the pleasure of knowing a madman, for I am no imbecile.

If you believe Brexit is calamatous, by all means express that. Do not, however, undermine the democratic will of the people. That seems fairly obviously traitorous to me. Had remain won, I would have been disappointed. Heartily so. Would I have said "no. Do it again."? I think not.

I will not make windows into men's souls, but their actions... those will I observe and judge.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: July 25, 2018, 10:07:26 am »

Would I have said "no. Do it again."? I think not
...in all honesty, if you think Brexiters wouldnt have demanded a new referendum, I think you hold a less than realistic view about your politicians ... and human nature I guess  :P

For that matter it wouldnt even be wrong. People can and do change their minds. Situations evolve. And referendums are limited (that's why they are not the main legislative recourse in western nations). It's ok to have dissenting opinions
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: July 25, 2018, 10:17:25 am »

Tbf, I misspoke. I would not try again in this decade, and would be more likely to suggest it as time passed.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: July 25, 2018, 10:41:40 am »

Continuing to campaign for an issue after a verdict has been reached at one point is in no way traitorous. In fact, it's quintessentially democratic to champion your ideas for policy to the public.

By your reasoning, the U.S. should have dropped the civil rights campaign after the 3/5 compromise because " the people already made a decision on the issue". So fucking what? The people can change their mind and policy should reflect that if it's happened. If there is sufficient evidence that the public feels differently about this issue now then it's worth voting on again.

Immediately calling for recounts until your side wins is wrong, but so is refusing to revisit a relevent issue because your side won one already and you don't want to risk losing that victory.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: July 25, 2018, 10:50:35 am »

I think there's an important distinction needs to be done here between normal citizens and people in official capacity of the state, such as government employees and public servants, and what the latter does as private citizens and in the field of administration.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8396 on: July 25, 2018, 11:04:14 am »

Whatever your opinion on how deceitful the other side may be, knowing they hold the same reservations of their other half too, there is no need to go comparing remainers to jihadis. Until we see a Brussels brigade demanding we behead all those who insult Juncker there is just no unironic comparison to be made which isn't intentionally, fruitlessly poisoning dialogue. Also politicians really ought to stop with the twitter soundbites. It's not the appropriate medium for making meaningful announcements.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: July 25, 2018, 01:15:29 pm »

I guess that’s what happens when you think that a very slight majority is good reason for doing something unprecedented on a very short time limit.

Wouldn't you have said the opposite if the Scottoff referendum had been a Leave

I would have, yes, but that was a legally binding referendum, as opposed to the opinion poll that was the EU referendum.

Brexitus Maximumus Farage said that a 52-48 Remain result would mean unfinished business for Leave campaigners. Look how quickly he forgot that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: July 25, 2018, 01:34:16 pm »

It is a betrayal of the democratic process to say "nope, we're going to try again and see if this time the results favour me".

No it's not really. The referendum was not a legally-binding vote, it was a purely voluntary thing to gauge support for the idea.

51.9% support on a non-binding vote isn't a mandate to force literally anything through and call it "Brexit". It's a mandate to start planning and discussing the details, through consultation.

If they finalized the form Brexit would take, then such a plan should require a second referendum, because nobody got to decide on whether they support a particular form of Brexit. It's like if you took a vote on whether to get pizza or burgers, and the majority said "pizza", then you say "ok, pineapple/anchovy pizzas it is!" then when people object and say that in that case, they might have preferred burgers after all, you say that you're just respecting the original "pizza" vote.

A political party such as Labor could perfectly democratically campaign on a "we're not going to pursue Brexit" platform, and voters are free to support that without "betraying" anything. A key hallmark of democracy is the right of the public to change their minds. That's why you keep voting over and over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:58:30 pm by Reelya »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: July 25, 2018, 04:35:58 pm »

Ah, democracy, where if you don't follow the Will of the Fuhrer Party People you are a traitor and deserve to die or rot for the rest of your life in the oubliette, the clearly superior method, the end of history

Good thing we're not in those evil dictatorships where if you don't follow the will of some crackpot dicator you will die or rot for the rest of your life in the oubliette

Luckily, the perfection of our system is unquestionable and anyone who says otherwise will be bombed, droned and waterboarded into learning to love the big brotherhood democracy gives us
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 793