Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 991737 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8610 on: September 12, 2018, 12:08:42 pm »

Whoever made that graph hates the colorblind.

Wonder what's behind some of these voting differences. Why is Poland so strongly against it while France can't get enough of it? Why's the UK so evenly split when the other big countries so much more for it? Also wow, small states get a lot more MEPs than I thought (good on you, Luxembourg).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: September 12, 2018, 12:19:50 pm »

Sweden and Netherlands are more strongly against it than Poland and Croatia comes close. I don't know about why the Netherlands, Sweden (though scriver cited a likely reason), and Croatia voted strongly against, but Poland has been clashing with Brussels recently, so, that could explain Poland.

As for France, the only explaination I can think of is the French being defensive about French langiage and culture.

Brexit would explain the UK to an extent.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8612 on: September 12, 2018, 12:39:05 pm »

Yes, we heard you the first time. It doesn't make you look smarter, if that's the intent.

Rather than making snide comments about his choice of rallying phrase, you might wish to address his argument.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: September 12, 2018, 12:53:31 pm »

Yes, we heard you the first time. It doesn't make you look smarter, if that's the intent.

Rather than making snide comments about his choice of rallying phrase, you might wish to address his argument.
What's to address? He kindly explained his stance and now I understand it better.
The pretentious use of Latin makes me roll my eyes, though.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8614 on: September 12, 2018, 12:57:45 pm »

Then it would be productive to acknowledge his explanation, rather than snipe at him in a way that suggests you disagree but don't want to engage.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: September 12, 2018, 12:58:19 pm »

I have to admit that the canis latinicus is kinda tiresome
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: September 12, 2018, 01:09:46 pm »

7 out of 12 my country's MEPs voted for it... Fucking hell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.

Shame they don't say which parties they were from...

Whoever made that graph hates the colorblind.

Wonder what's behind some of these voting differences. Why is Poland so strongly against it while France can't get enough of it? Why's the UK so evenly split when the other big countries so much more for it? Also wow, small states get a lot more MEPs than I thought (good on you, Luxembourg).

France fucking loves copyright. They're the reason we can't call champagne champagne any longer, for example. And I can't say 100% if it's true, but if I remember correctly they can even she for copy right infringement if you take photos of art and monuments in the public space in France.

I wonder how that'll impact Brexit because Brexiteers now have a new and real reason to leave.

Surprised any of the UK MEPs went for it, but then again, they're leaving it anyway.

edit: A breakdown by party if anybody is curious.

Oh, that had a map, thanks! Still, too bad it shows the EU parties rather than the real ones, that's one of the major ways EU obfuscates itself to remove itself from responsibility.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: September 12, 2018, 01:16:56 pm »

Faex.

Y'know, I don't really understand why Latin is the de facto magical language... I mean sure, you had your augurs and whatnot, but our image of Romans isn't massively mystical (I mean, sure, they were wildly religious with massive amounts of holy ceremonies and rituals... But I dunno about magery). I guess it's just a Christian thing, another cultural holdover from a misinterpretation of some sort? Possibly.

And I mean, we know more about it than we do stuff like the old Avestan of Zoroastrianism (which would be a lot more fun... I mean, hell, that's where the word magic comes from, it's gotta be worth something, right?).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: September 12, 2018, 01:30:13 pm »

Brexituri te salutant! Ave Johnson!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: September 12, 2018, 01:30:26 pm »

The word magic comes from Swedish, "trollkonst", and translates to "the art of trolling".
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: September 12, 2018, 01:43:03 pm »

The word magic comes from Swedish, "trollkonst", and translates to "the art of trolling".
Ars troglodytarum.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: September 12, 2018, 01:49:34 pm »

Since konst- is also the base word for swedish "weird" (if you call someone weird in Swedish. "konstig" you literally call them "artsy") it could also be translated akin to "the troll wyrd"
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8622 on: September 12, 2018, 04:34:04 pm »

I wonder how that'll impact Brexit because Brexiteers now have a new and real reason to leave.
Anyone who hasn't already been convinced Brexit was worth pursuing will find some way to rationalize remaining in the European Union whilst the EU fucks them

And from a glance, looks like Poland, Sweden and the Netherlands are heroes of Yurop

Surprised any of the UK MEPs went for it, but then again, they're leaving it anyway.

edit: A breakdown by party if anybody is curious.
The UK MEPs are split between the eurosceptics and the neoliberals; specifically the faction concerned with intellectual property control. The latter faction is certain they can have EU copyright law implemented in the UK before the UK leaves, and no one in the UK will have any say in the matter, provided they work quickly. A lot of powerful UK based entertainment industry people look harshly upon attempts by others to consume content made by normal people, or consume content made by studios for free. I will never forget the day I heard two music label representatives talk about how it was stupid young people had the idea that you could listen to music for free... To a room full of young people who did just that. Bizarre

Brexituri te salutant! Ave Johnson!
EU delenda est

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: September 12, 2018, 06:11:46 pm »

France fucking loves copyright. They're the reason we can't call champagne champagne any longer, for example. And I can't say 100% if it's true, but if I remember correctly they can even she for copy right infringement if you take photos of art and monuments in the public space in France.

why do the french even have the internet if they hate having access to information so much
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: September 12, 2018, 06:12:58 pm »

Where else are they going to argue about their language?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 793