Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 975042 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8640 on: September 14, 2018, 03:18:54 am »

I should have added an /s there, but oh well.
Godpoewin's law

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: September 14, 2018, 03:34:33 am »

They're the reason we can't call champagne champagne any longer, for example.

One of the less-known stipulations of the Treaty of Versailles. And its no different to all the modern laws protecting regional brands like Stilton from mass-produced rock-bottom foreign imitators.
Just like cologne and hamburgers!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: September 14, 2018, 06:49:49 am »

They're the reason we can't call champagne champagne any longer, for example.

One of the less-known stipulations of the Treaty of Versailles. And its no different to all the modern laws protecting regional brands like Stilton from mass-produced rock-bottom foreign imitators.
Just like cologne and hamburgers!

But not Cheddar, oddly.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8643 on: September 14, 2018, 06:59:42 am »

In a rush, but I'll just say that I think you're looking at the whole "money spent on lobbying" thing the wrong way around. They spend that much because the EU is considerably harder to lobby than the UK government to get the results. Convincing 27 countries to agree to a thing is a lot harder than convincing a handful of Ministers and their Chief Whip.

You say our leaders can't change, and we should "advance in technology and culture". But technology benefits immensely from EU membership, hence why so many of the businesses and business leaders and researchers and academics are pro-remain. We stand a better chance of advancing in terms of science and technology as a part of the EU than outside of it.

As for culture, meh. Culture changes, culture grows, culture adapts, culture isn't a "thing" you can point at and preserve or fix. It is a fluid mess, and obsessing about preserving it (for example) is a fools errand as far as I'm concerned. Our culture is not our parents is not our grandparents is not our great-grandparents will not be our childrens will not be our grandchildrens, it's not worth the time to "improve" or "preserve" as a thing in and of itself, it's something that just happens. Social issues are what need focusing on, culture will follow suit and adapts and change as it always has and always will.

Personally I don't think the EU is progressing to becoming a full state ala the USA. I consider that a shame, personally, since I'm actually in favour of humanity progressing towards a one-world government, but that's just me. And I think a United State of Europe (to quote Churchill) could be a positive step forward towards that. There are factions inside the EU that want to take it that way, sure. But there are factions that want Wales to become independent from the UK. Doesn't make it particularly likely anytime soon :)

As for cheese, personally I like Goats Cheese on spicy pizzas. The Goats Cheese tames the spice down but keeps and brings out the flavour :)

(...okay, I wrote a lot for being in a rush xD)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:24:44 am by MorleyDev »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: September 14, 2018, 07:03:24 am »

maybe after brexit we can invade a third-world nation and steal some of its' culture to top up our reserves, as is the British tradition
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: September 14, 2018, 07:06:12 am »

maybe after brexit we can invade a third-world nation and steal some of its' culture to top up our reserves, as is the British tradition

The dutch can keep their diamonds, the French can have their silks. We shall steal the precious grains of Culture, harvested by hand by poor farmers in third world countries.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - Brexit won't matter because WW3 is going to make it largely irrelevant.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: September 14, 2018, 07:11:55 am »

As for cheese, personally I like Goats Cheese on spicy pizzas. The Goats Cheese tames the spice down but keeps and brings out the flavour :)
Try crumbled feta (preferably sheep's milk), potentially along with some basil. It's sharp and tart, but it toasts a bit in the heat and caramelizes to round out the flavor with some sweetness.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8647 on: September 14, 2018, 07:14:40 am »

I'll have to try that sometime. I melted feta cheese into a curry once and it proved surprisingly nice.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - Brexit won't matter because the heat death of the universe is going to make it largely irrelevant.

Fixed for you :)

...Goddamnit I actually have work to do, keep getting distracted xD
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:25:24 am by MorleyDev »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:35 am »

Just joining the feta fanboy club by saying it also works well with scrambled eggs. Add some chunks towards the end.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: September 14, 2018, 07:33:32 am »

Just joining the feta fanboy club by saying it also works well with scrambled eggs. Add some chunks towards the end.
Oh fuck yes, feta with scramblies/omelette is amazing. I tend to just mix in chunks of feta on the plate rather than blend it into the scramble itself, but it all works.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: September 14, 2018, 07:54:26 am »

Oh fuck yes, feta with scramblies/omelette is amazing. I tend to just mix in chunks of feta on the plate rather than blend it into the scramble itself, but it all works.

But then the feta doesn't melt as well.  It's like buttering the toast after it's popped out, rather than jamming a buttered knife into the inner workings of your toaster!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: September 14, 2018, 07:59:46 am »

Feta doesn't really... Melt, though. It toasts, and it can soften, but it's not really a good cheese for melting. The crumbly, firm texture is part of the appeal.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: September 14, 2018, 08:12:37 am »

Feta är fett gott
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: September 14, 2018, 08:32:19 am »

Boba Fett-a

Okay, that was terrible, but couldn't resist. lol....
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 793