Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 991499 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #945 on: March 05, 2016, 02:15:40 pm »

Memorials are a form of monument.

Inspires pride and unity, which can help reduce crime, theoretically.

I'm pretty sure that spending the same money to counteract the root causes of crime would be substantially more effective. I know the statue of one of my university's namesakes outside the front door doesn't make me feel any solidarity with my fellow students.

I consider monuments to religious figures kind of funny though. Especially when the figure is associated with charity and helping the poor. Like Jesus, or with abstaining from material wealth like Buddha.

'Hey, should we spend hundreds of thousands of [currency] on helping the needy?'

'Nah, let's build a giant monument to show how much we care about [religious figure]'s teachings.'

'The ones about helping the poor and the sick?'

'Yeah, those are the ones I was thinking of.'

I find it particularly amusing in the Buddha case.

Hey, y'know that guy who gave up all his wealth and taught us that physical things detract from spiritual happiness? Let's put golden statues of him all over the place, and build ornate temples dedicated to his teachings. Spending material wealth on him will show our understanding of his lessons.  :P

In regards to the post Sergarr made above.

Can someone remind me why we're allied with Turkey again? I can't think of any occasions where I've seen them mentioned for something without it either being their invasion of Cyprus or being internally shady as hell.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 05, 2016, 02:28:52 pm »

Can someone remind me why we're allied with Turkey again? I can't think of any occasions where I've seen them mentioned for something without it either being their invasion of Cyprus or being internally shady as hell.

One could ask that about Saudi Arabia. Although the answer to THAT one is obvious, oil.

As for the Turkey alliance, it goes back to the Cold War days I think. Not to mention that they're part of NATO (which again, goes back to the Cold War).

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 05, 2016, 02:51:21 pm »

Memorials are a form of monument.

Inspires pride and unity, which can help reduce crime, theoretically.

I'm pretty sure that spending the same money to counteract the root causes of crime would be substantially more effective. I know the statue of one of my university's namesakes outside the front door doesn't make me feel any solidarity with my fellow students.

I consider monuments to religious figures kind of funny though. Especially when the figure is associated with charity and helping the poor. Like Jesus, or with abstaining from material wealth like Buddha.

'Hey, should we spend hundreds of thousands of [currency] on helping the needy?'

'Nah, let's build a giant monument to show how much we care about [religious figure]'s teachings.'

'The ones about helping the poor and the sick?'

'Yeah, those are the ones I was thinking of.'

I find it particularly amusing in the Buddha case.

Hey, y'know that guy who gave up all his wealth and taught us that physical things detract from spiritual happiness? Let's put golden statues of him all over the place, and build ornate temples dedicated to his teachings. Spending material wealth on him will show our understanding of his lessons.  :P

Oh, it probably would. I'm just giving an example of the type of reasoning one could use. For some, national pride and unity is an end-goal in and of itself, as well. It's like...the government version of having something you find sentimentally important, or spending money on ice cream. It's not necessary, it might even be bad for you, but it feels good, and you don't really wanna throw it away.

For universities, it's entirely so that future wealthy alumni/professors will also want to donate and have statues put up of them. Honoring past members and all that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #949 on: March 05, 2016, 04:33:46 pm »

One out of seven enterprises providing housing for immigrant children arriving without relatives that was started last autumn/winter is run with known criminals in the company board.
I don't know how to react to this anymore, with laughter or sadness

Sad laughter it is

and some people call Russia as being more oppressive than Turkey
One of the things going around Londonistan cos of the Kurd march is that they said the only difference between Assad and Erdogan is that Assad doesn't bomb Kurds
Savage

I don't think I'll ever understand the mentality that thinks putting up monuments is a worthwhile use of time and money.  ???
No

Respect the robot

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #950 on: March 05, 2016, 04:39:00 pm »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 05, 2016, 04:41:56 pm »

I don't think I'll ever understand the mentality that thinks putting up monuments is a worthwhile use of time and money.  ???
No

Respect the robot
I just found out in response to criticism he replaced the robot with a T-rex

/int/ pls leav politics
Quote from: The Article
And it might not be the last statue to grace the site. "I will also replace the dinosaur with something else," Mr Gokcek says, although he hasn't given any clues as to what may come next.

My sides.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 05, 2016, 04:43:38 pm »

No

Respect the robot
I just found out in response to criticism he replaced the robot with a T-rex

/int/ pls leav politics

Words fail me. I genuinely cannot think of a coherent way to express how disappointed I am in humans at this moment.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #953 on: March 05, 2016, 04:47:16 pm »

Don't place your faith in humans

Place your faith in Robot and T-rex

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 05, 2016, 05:00:39 pm »

Don't place your faith in humans

Place your faith in Robot and T-rex
All hail Grimlock

Me Grimlock lead tiny humans to greatness

Me Grimlock promise this
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #955 on: March 06, 2016, 06:10:46 pm »

All hail Grimlock

Me Grimlock promise this
Got to say, if the EU President was a robot T-rex I don't think anyone would mind

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 07, 2016, 01:38:22 pm »

Vote for the new model Tusk: the T-R.E.X.
now with Robotically Enhanced Xenophobia!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 07, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »

All hail Grimlock

Me Grimlock promise this
Got to say, if the EU President was a robot T-rex I don't think anyone would mind
Sounds like a significant improvement to me.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 07, 2016, 06:22:55 pm »

Quite unexpected, the Turkish government proposed a new plan to the EU in Brussels today.

Not only are they willing to take back into Turkey any migrants that are not war refugees (which is what the EU was trying to negotiate), they offered to take back into Turkey every migrant down to the single last one that crosses the Mediterranean in the future, including Syrian war refugees.
Basically, they are saying "we will completely stop your immigration problem, just send them all back as soon as they make landfall"

But it's not for free.
In return, they want
- to let real war refugees in Turkish refugee camps be redistributed over Europe using legal routes
- another 3 billion on top of the 3 billion already agreed upon
- no more visa needed for Turks to travel to the EU
- reopening negotiations about Turkey joining the EU

with the current problems with human rights and press freedom, I could see the third last demand being a problem
still, latest news is that it looks like that a draft agreement is being reached in Brussels.

In another proposal, Turkey proposes to create safe havens for refugees in Syria itself, with the help of EU members, but it looks like no concensus will be reached for that.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/live-principeakkoord-met-turken-in-de-maak~a4258295/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:00:22 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 07, 2016, 06:34:27 pm »

Do you have the same article on a different site? I tried to use google translate, but the 'this page uses cookies' popup is blocking it and clicking yes I accept doesn't work in the translated page. Tried it on Chrome, didn't work either, looked like it was going to the homepage.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:37:52 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 793