Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 988482 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9525 on: January 25, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »

So greece accepted agreement about Macedonia changing their name to North Macedonia , which, at least according to BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47002865 , caused lots of protest on Greece streets and division in government.
Can someone with more intimate knowledge about these events can explen why big part of Greece population are so upset? Doesn't name change alleviate fears about potential NM territorial ambitions and dibs on Greece cultural heritage? Or is there some other conflict beneath it?
Cultural appropriation & political consequences

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: January 25, 2019, 02:31:00 pm »

I'm more interested in whether North Macedonia is, in terms of territory, more similar to ye olde Macedonia.

I mean, does the Greek province have greater territorial possession? It's not like they can be angry that "Macedonia" is a Greek name otherwise. It's the name of those who conquered Greece, who were at best tangentially related to Greece. It's like me, someone from the UK, getting angry that Saxony wanted to be an independent state, and the people wanted to be called "Saxons".

A genuine question, as my knowledge of non-ancient/medieval boundaries is quite lacking.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:32:52 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: January 25, 2019, 02:39:19 pm »

IIRC 2/3rds of original Macedonia fall within modern Greece. NewMacedonia covers the final third. After that the issue devolves in which heavily admixtured population matches original Macedonians better, whose answer is probably "maybe Greek Macedonians a bit,, but probably neither". They argue a lot about North Macedonia or whatever you want to call it having heavy slavic influences in culture and populational dynamics, and shit like that, though.

You're absolutely right about ancient Greeks regarding Macedonians as foreigners, and while only tangential to the current  issue, it CAN be used to viciously troll modern Greeks, if you feel so inclined.  They go ballistic when you say Alexander wasn't Greek.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:43:47 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: January 25, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »

I'm more interested in whether North Macedonia is, in terms of territory, more similar to ye olde Macedonia.

I mean, does the Greek province have greater territorial possession? It's not like they can be angry that "Macedonia" is a Greek name otherwise. It's the name of those who conquered Greece, who were at best tangentially related to Greece. It's like me, someone from the UK, getting angry that Saxony wanted to be an independent state, and the people wanted to be called "Saxons".

A genuine question, as my knowledge of non-ancient/medieval boundaries is quite lacking.

You're example is missing one key aspect - in your example, both English and Saxons has a direct inheritance of the word (of which the Saxons are the stronger one, I'd like to say). It's more as if a bunch of Slavic people settled partially on the German Saxony and then started calling themselves Saxons too, and then modern German Saxons being pissed about that. Macedonians are Slavic and lacks any tie to ancient Macedonia beyond the area.

IIRC 2/3rds of original Macedonia fall within modern Greece. NewMacedonia covers the final third. After that the issue devolves in which heavily admixtured population matches original Macedonians better, whose answer is probably "maybe Greek Macedonians a bit,, but probably neither". They argue a lot about North Macedonia or whatever you want to call it having heavy slavic influences in culture and populational dynamics, and shit like that, though.

You're absolutely right about ancient Greeks regarding Macedonians as foreigners, and while only tangential to the current  issue, it CAN be used to viciously troll modern Greeks, if you feel so inclined.  They go ballistic when you say Alexander wasn't Greek.

The ancient Greek correctly didn't count the Macedonians as "Greek", but that doesn't change that the Macedonians were a Greek/Hellenic cultural branch that got integrated into the national identity that eventually would result in the modern Greek nationality. It's like claiming Birger Jarl, the "founding father" of Sweden, wasn't Swedish because he and his contemporaries considered him a Geat - Geats are part of the Swedish of today. Saying Alexander wasn't Greek is technically correct (and as such, I agree, an excellent source of lulz on par with claiming Tove Jansson wasn't Finnish) not exactly relevant to the conflict at hand. Alexander's Macedoniannes is a line that leads to modern Greekishness, not the completely unrelated Slavic Macedonians.

edit: I guess I pretty much just reiterated what you said, I should've read more closely before responding
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:19:13 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: January 25, 2019, 03:40:12 pm »

North Macedonia seems to hold almost none of the most ancient borders of Macedonia....which fluctuated a lot anyway. To claim that calling themselves Macedonia is a statement that they intend to take back "their" Greek territories....what? Why don't you just claim that they're threating to redo Alexander's conquests of the ancient world by taking the name "Macedonia"? It makes just as much sense, after all.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9530 on: January 25, 2019, 04:29:57 pm »

The "borders" were meaningless. Modern scholars classify a region as "Greece" but no such borders actually existed. The region was first unified by Philip of Macedon into a nation which could be called "Greece" hence why Macedonia is important to Greek identity.

We only say Macedonians weren't "proper" Greeks because they came from outside some anachronistic borders of "Greece" that we now define. Sure, they came from outside the great city-states of the Greek peninsula, but that's meaningless.

Greeks were all over the place, with settlements ranging from the south coast of Spain in the west to Turkey and the Black sea in the east. So, just because Alexander's Macedonia wasn't in "classical Greece" that in no way indicates that they weren't ethnically Greek. Without DNA, the best way to determine it would be to ask what language Macedonians actually spoke. As far as I know there's no evidence that Macedonians spoke any language that wasn't Greek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(ancient_kingdom)#History

The Classical Greek historians Herodotus and Thucydides reported the legend that the Macedonian kings of the Argead dynasty were descendants of Temenus, king of Argos, and could therefore claim the mythical Heracles as one of their ancestors as well as a direct lineage from Zeus, chief god of the Greek pantheon.

In Homer's Iliad, "Greek" as a blanket term didn't exist yet. One of the most common terms he uses to refer to Greeks as a whole is "Argives": derived from the name of the city of Argos, an important founding site of Mycenean Greece. If the kings in Macedonia were claiming to be descended from Argos and calling themselves the Argead Dynasty, that's a direct claim of Mycenean Greek heritage.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:22:32 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: January 25, 2019, 06:11:48 pm »

If your asking about core territory overlap, there really is not much between ancient and modern Macedonia.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9532 on: January 26, 2019, 10:31:15 am »

Disregard squabbles, rebuild Byzantine

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: January 26, 2019, 11:06:48 am »

Macedonia doesn't have any right to claim historical territories of Macedonia, unlike Serbia, for Serbia is without beginning and end. Serbia is eternal. Greece is Serbia. Love is Serbia. Life is Serbia.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9534 on: January 26, 2019, 12:07:13 pm »

Falklands is Serbia
Taiwan is Serbia
Korea is Serbia
Tibet is Serbia
Levant is Serbia
Antarctica is Serbia
Crimea is Serbia
Mellila is Serbia
Kashmir is Serbia
Macedonia is Serbia

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9535 on: January 26, 2019, 01:28:01 pm »

Sweden is Serbia
Ecuador is Serbia
Russia is Serbia
Brazil is Serbia
Iran is Serbia
Australia is Serbia
Sri Lanka is Serbia
Togo is Serbia
Romania is Serbia
Oman is Serbia
Nigeria is Serbia
Guinea is Serbia

It's in the name
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: January 26, 2019, 01:35:32 pm »

EA Sports is Serbia..?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: January 26, 2019, 01:47:41 pm »

EA Sports is Serbia..?
No, it is a hell-dimension.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: January 26, 2019, 05:50:45 pm »

EA Sports is Serbia..?
No, it is a hell-dimension.

Poor John madden... He hasn't been able to escape for years. This is what a deal with the devil looks like.
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 793