Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 990291 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9930 on: April 14, 2019, 03:41:55 pm »

98% of votes counted in Finnish Parliamentary Elections.

Social democrats is at 17.7% of votes (40 seats), with True Finns at 17.6% (39 seats). National Coalition party 16.8% (37 seats), Center Party 13.9% (31 seats), Greens 11.4% (20 seats), The Left Alliance 8.2% (16 seats), Swedish People's Party 4.5% (10 seats), Christian Democrats 3.9% (5 seats), Blue Future 1.0% (No seats), others 2.9% (2 seats).

No Pirate got a seat, as predicted.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: April 15, 2019, 09:00:56 am »

'Tis now official. EU Copyright Directive has been passed, 19-6 in the Council of Ministers.

Petition your government to refuse to implement it, a sort of national civil disobedience. Refuse to pay any fines or accept any punishment from the ECJ.

Vote Pirate.

Hail Hydra.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9932 on: April 15, 2019, 09:09:11 am »

I think Britain should hold a vote independent of Parliament or Government. The result? To kill the gods and topple their thrones, or to remain with our necks stretched on the block, our eyes food for the political carrion class.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: April 15, 2019, 01:10:57 pm »

98% of votes counted in Finnish Parliamentary Elections.

Social democrats is at 17.7% of votes (40 seats), with True Finns at 17.6% (39 seats). National Coalition party 16.8% (37 seats), Center Party 13.9% (31 seats), Greens 11.4% (20 seats), The Left Alliance 8.2% (16 seats), Swedish People's Party 4.5% (10 seats), Christian Democrats 3.9% (5 seats), Blue Future 1.0% (No seats), others 2.9% (2 seats).

No Pirate got a seat, as predicted.

This is a historically fragmented election result, which makes it difficult for a satisfactory coalition government to be formed. Everyone is going to have to compromise a lot, so nobody's voters are going to be happy... We also got cheated out of the women's ice hockey world championship at the same time due to a game-winning goal being disallowed after the celebrations had already started, just to rub the salt in the wound. 

In other news, the Notre Dame is burning down. I had time to make bad Hunchback of Notre Dame jokes before the depressing weight of possibly losing a major piece of cultural heritage hit. Now I'm just sad.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9934 on: April 15, 2019, 01:12:47 pm »

You didn’t get cheated, one of your players took out the goalie as the other scored.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9935 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:21 pm »

It will be rebuilt. It's OK.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9936 on: April 15, 2019, 03:11:40 pm »

You didn’t get cheated, one of your players took out the goalie as the other scored.

The contact with the goalie was incidental and was outside of goalie's area so, according to IIHF rules, the goal should've been accepted:

From IIHF rule 183:
"...Incidental contact is allowed when the goaltender is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease, provided the attacking skater makes a reasonable effort to minimize or avoid such contact."

And from IIHF rule 185:
"An attacking skater who makes incidental contact with a goaltender out of his goal crease while both try to gain possession of the puck will not be penalized. If a goal is scored at this time, the goal will count."

Both the referees would have accepted the goal, but the video referee overruled them. (Something they are only allowed to do if they are absolutely sure.)

The US goalie even got a penalty for tripping the player who "interfered" her...

(Besides the elections, the news here today have had a lot about hockey rules...)

And back to politics:

After the Finnish elections, the Social Democrats will have a lot of fun trying to form a government. They'll need to choose either the True Finns, National Coalition or Center Party, and then either another one of those or two smaller parties. It's fun because:
a) Pretty much no one wants to be in the same government with the True Finns.
b) The National Coalition's agenda is pretty much the exact opposite of SDP's.
c) The Center Party lost huge in the election and they are not too keen to have an other round in the government and risk losing more support.

I expect our next government will have the Social Democrats and the Greens and, either the Center Party and the Left Alliance, or the National Coalition and Swedish People's Party. Either of these combinations would have a small majority of 107 seats out of 200.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: April 15, 2019, 05:05:20 pm »

The contact with the goalie was incidental and was outside of goalie's area so, according to IIHF rules, the goal should've been accepted:

From IIHF rule 183:
"...Incidental contact is allowed when the goaltender is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease, provided the attacking skater makes a reasonable effort to minimize or avoid such contact."

And from IIHF rule 185:
"An attacking skater who makes incidental contact with a goaltender out of his goal crease while both try to gain possession of the puck will not be penalized. If a goal is scored at this time, the goal will count."

Both the referees would have accepted the goal, but the video referee overruled them. (Something they are only allowed to do if they are absolutely sure.)

The US goalie even got a penalty for tripping the player who "interfered" her...

(Besides the elections, the news here today have had a lot about hockey rules...)

And back to politics:

After the Finnish elections, the Social Democrats will have a lot of fun trying to form a government. They'll need to choose either the True Finns, National Coalition or Center Party, and then either another one of those or two smaller parties. It's fun because:
a) Pretty much no one wants to be in the same governm
ent with the True Finns.
b) The National Coalition's agenda is pretty much the exact opposite of SDP's.
c) The Center Party lost huge in the election and they are not too keen to have an other round in the government and risk losing more support.

I expect our next government will have the Social Democrats and the Greens and, either the Center Party and the Left Alliance, or the National Coalition and Swedish People's Party. Either of these combinations would have a small majority of 107 seats out of 200.

It will be interesting to see if they learn anything from what happened in Sweden, or if the Social Democrats will go rightwing and face massive losses for you too.

It will be rebuilt.

We have the technology.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9938 on: April 16, 2019, 09:37:09 am »

Of course; people are lamenting the destruction of the original, not the obsolescence of its copy-to-be

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9939 on: April 16, 2019, 09:44:05 am »

Of course; people are lamenting the destruction of the original, not the obsolescence of its copy-to-be
Which original would that be, though? It's been through a number of refurbishings, restorations and even reconstructions over the years. This is going to be a big one, certainly, but she'll be right.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9940 on: April 16, 2019, 09:49:24 am »

Which original would that be, though? It's been through a number of refurbishings, restorations and even reconstructions over the years. This is going to be a big one, certainly, but she'll be right.
There has only been one original, unless you have died every second to be replaced by a new Kagus - the argument is full of merit, but not terribly practical when discussing things in the human scale

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: April 16, 2019, 09:58:08 am »

There has only been one original, unless you have died every second to be replaced by a new Kagus - the argument is full of merit, but not terribly practical when discussing things in the human scale

LW, have you ever heard of the Ship of Theseus thought experiment? That's what Kagus is talking about philosophically.

I don't think it's had EVERY component replaced, but it's certainly enough to get there philosophically.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:01:01 am by smjjames »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: April 16, 2019, 10:00:51 am »

I am not the man I was 10 years ago, nor am I the boy I was 20 years ago. But they are all the same person.

The spire that fell was the one built in the later 1800's after the one before it had gotten damaged and removed nearly a hundred years prior. But it's the same Notre Dame.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9943 on: April 16, 2019, 10:08:53 am »

LW, have you ever heard of the Ship of Theseus thought experiment? That's what Kagus is talking about philosophically.
I am very familiar, I was taught it as a child, though I learned it with a chariot as the example. Hence why I said the argument is full of merit, because it is true - just not terribly practical in the human scale. We wouldn't be impassive at the death of a relative we lost contact with simply because the entity we lost contact with was not the identical composition of the entity we knew, so it seems excessively daft to argue that there has never been a single entity of the Notre Dame until it went up in flames. I really don't think we're so emotionally dense that we have to add an appendix explaining we mourn the lost continuity of the Notre Dame instead of saying we don't like watching old buildings burn.

I don't think it's had EVERY component replaced, but it's certainly enough to get there philosophically.
Certainly not.

I am not the man I was 10 years ago, nor am I the boy I was 20 years ago. But they are all the same person.
This is why it is not terribly useful to apply this philosophy practically; you aren't the same person you were 10 or 20 years go. You are a summation of all you've ever been, but you aren't any one iteration in particular. This information is useful mostly for philosophical purposes
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:11:24 am by Loud Whispers »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: April 16, 2019, 10:19:02 am »

This is why it is not terribly useful to apply this philosophy practically; you aren't the same person you were 10 or 20 years go. You are a summation of all you've ever been, but you aren't any one iteration in particular. This information is useful mostly for philosophical purposes
Then why should we mourn at all? The "former" Notre Dame was never an independent entity to even be destroyed, it was merely a part of the transition to the Notre Dame of today.

She didn't pass into death, but rather added this moment to her history.
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 793