Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 701

Author Topic: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread  (Read 441153 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #885 on: February 27, 2016, 10:01:26 pm »

It's... a weird situation. Most of their policies are very similar and they actually originally were the same party. They split over a disagreement that's no longer relevant (FF's founders boycotted the government rather than swear an oath to the king of England while still part of the Commonwealth) but they're unlikely to ever get back together or even form a coalition government because of the civil war. They've remained the big political players for pretty much the same reason I guess, and the Irish mentality is generally ill-inclined towards supporting newer parties.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 27, 2016, 10:24:24 pm »

I'm reading up on the matter right now... I was really unfamiliar with Irish history and politics except on vague terms....
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 27, 2016, 11:52:33 pm »

Yeah, it all kind of got overshadowed by the WWs I guess. And the British at the time probably wouldn't have been broadcasting it.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 28, 2016, 02:57:43 am »

I hope the incumbents stay in, because they seem to have been the only government I've ever seen perform austerity measures correctly ( A temporary set of cuts to ease the immediate strain, which are then slowly reversed as the country recovers.)
Quote from: LW
One of these days we will succeed in deporting all Scandinavians back to Somalia
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 28, 2016, 10:36:34 am »

Hey, I finally read LW's pentapost! Wasn't that interesting TBH, although quite readable. I think part of the issue is that he seems to assume I was advocating collapsing the UK through trade war (hence his argument about Napolean). I'm not. The EU doesn't want to start a trade war. If it wanted to, it couldn't (WTO rules, no institutional tools to do so), and even if it could, it wouldn't turn the UK into a third world country. It would cause a massive recessions in the short term (even if you can trade with the rest of the world, it takes time to re-adjust trade pattern) and it would make the UK poorer in the long run, but that's it.

I'm still not sure where you started on that tangent, since no one adocated a trade war. All I see is you citing an unnamed MP who said that some German bureaucrat said so. Given the context and the undirect way this citation came from, I'd take this with a mountain of salt.

Norway

What you terms "humanitarian money" is contributions to various EU agencies and structural European funds. By the same token, the UK's contribution to the EU are also humanitarian (maybe you should include that in your massive aid budget  :P). In any case, they amount to more or less what the Norwegians would be paying as a member, in the word of their own European Affais minister.

German Fiscal Situation

That report is all very nice, but you're comparing apples to orange. Every western country got unfunded pensions liability. My claim was that Germany's situation was better than the UK (I didn't cite a source for my numbers since I got them from the table at the end of my paper version of the Economist. It is true that the pension issue is going to be less in the UK than Germany, both because the UK are on average a younger country (although that might be changing depending on how immigration goes, and because UK pensions are less generous. I've just spent 15 minutes looking, and found a couple papers that do back your claim (This one for exemple put unfunded pensions liabilities of 228% of GDP to 2050 for Germany vs. 146 % for the UK. However they all use data from before the financial crisis and the ballooning of UK debt. If you have some more recent numbers I'd love them.

Of course, there are so many variable (growth rate, whether Scotland stays, etc etc) that it's hard to judge for certain.

Actually, I should probably make an effort of explaining my position better so you don't waste another hour on Napoleonic strategy. I'm pro-EU. I think that it's better, both for the UK and the rEU if a Brexit doesn't happen (although as a good leftie part of me relish the kind of good financial standards we could enact once Dave is not there to act as the City's lobbyist-in-chief.)

However, I don't think it's going to be a catastrophy either if the UK leaves. The UK is probably the EU country that is the most able to stand on its own on the international stage. It's an island, which means it is less integrated with its neighbours than, say, my own Belgium. It has enough clout to not be entirely irrelevant on its own, including a decent military. The Commonwealth gives it ties with many countries that do not go through the EU.

I still think the UK would see its influence diminish, and its economy will be slightly smaller that it would otherwise have been, but it's not going to be the end of the world. And maybe we can improve that lumbering monster a bit faster once the UK is not there. The Commissions will move closer to being truly elected (Cameron was the only major EU leader trying to block the Parliament from having its pick) and we won't have to deal with Britain's endless demands for opt-outs.

Anyway, if I'm wrong, and the UK's economy does collapse, I'll send you aid LW.  :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which dont yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #890 on: February 28, 2016, 12:22:37 pm »

*roots/tentacles/whatever representing American politics burst into the EuroPol thread*
The former leader of Frances right-wing movement endorses Trump No idea about the current leader (who is the daughter of that guy). :P
The old leader is pretty old far-right nationalist (he got expelled from the party by his daughter after making Holocaust denial or something IIRC), whereas his daughter ebin le pen is pretty much the only Trump we have in Europe, in character, beliefs and strategy

She scares a lot of people, and inspires a lot of people to scare the former people
Not sure if she wants walls, as I think that's Orban's turf, but she def wants to ramp up the repatriation
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
hahahahah we have no gold now because brown haha
Oh wait, that's bad
SWISSORLLAND IGV BAK GOLD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe, but there is no rest for the BOGO if freedom is to be won

Anyway, if I'm wrong, and the UK's economy does collapse, I'll send you aid LW.  :)
Women and Greece first! Women and Greece first!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 28, 2016, 01:13:23 pm »

Dude, what exactly did that Gunthar told which MP?

And how on Earth would the UK not trading with the continent next to it not diminish its long-term growth potential? We can argue with the magnitude of the effect, but arguing that there would be no effect at all? From cutting yourself from the group that makes up about half of your export market?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which dont yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 28, 2016, 02:07:00 pm »

I dunno what's so scary about EU, really. Do you expect it to go full Stalin on you and your nations after it takes FULL CONTROL, or what?
Sergarr why hasn't Russia joined the EU there is nothing to fear
1) The EU wouldn't let them in because it's a dictatorship in all but name
Counter-point: Orban
2) They don't have any real interest in joining the EU anyway.
but muh free eu money

and True European Seal of Approval too

4) Glorious soviet Russian pride
dude most of russians that I know of would consider Russia joining EU as being worth of much more pride than, say, the current lol-alliance with China (Chinese people are really really disliked by most Russians, I must say). "European quality" is synonymous with "Excellent-and-usually-better-than-anything-ours quality" over here, you know. The "Russia has its own way" crowd has been so intellectually bankrupt as to have produced no coherent point outside of dreadful religious garbage over hundreds of years for which they existed in Russian society.
._.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 28, 2016, 03:06:28 pm »

And how on Earth would the UK not trading with the continent next to it not diminish its long-term growth potential?
Not on Earth, obviously.
Spoiler: allow me to explain... (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 28, 2016, 03:32:25 pm »

whereas his daughter ebin le pen is pretty much the only Trump we have in Europe, in character, beliefs and strategy
Nah that would be Geert Wilders. He even has a similarily hilarious blonde coupe.

Wilders went to America on invitation of Frank Gaffney.
Wilders held some speeches and presented his anti-muslim film "Fitna" to Congress in 2009, the next day he spoke for the National Press Club, and the day after he was guest of honour at the CPAC (a yearly conference of conservatives).
Back then in 2009, even right-wing conservatives thought him to be a little bit too radical, and too anti-muslim.

In 2015 Wilders revisited Washington, and appeared in a press conference with Republican members of congress, organized by Gaffney, on the steps of the Capitol.
Wilders said then "I warn the United States. Don't think that what happens now in Europe, will not happen in the US. Because it will. (...) Muslim migrants are the Trojan horse, the jihadists are amongst us!"

Not sure if Trump was present there, and personally met Wilders, but he has nearly literally copy-pasted and used that speech Wilders gave, as his own, as well as copied Wilder's media personality.

Everytime I see Trump, it's like watching an American remake of a Dutch tv show.
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #895 on: February 28, 2016, 04:00:17 pm »

Dude, what exactly did that Gunthar told which MP?
Dude, I've already posted this so many times

And how on Earth would the UK not trading with the continent next to it not diminish its long-term growth potential? We can argue with the magnitude of the effect, but arguing that there would be no effect at all? From cutting yourself from the group that makes up about half of your export market?
DOOD
The reason why I posted numbers and not opinions is because facts cannot be disputed. Look at the trade patterns, the majority of the UK's export do not go to Europe, they go to the rest of the world - and this trend is increasing as Europe cannot grow as quickly as possible as the the burgeoning economies around the world.

I'm not arguing there'd be no effect (how do you read this, stop making assumptions on what I say and just read what I say?), the EU cannot stop the UK from trading with Europe, and it's increasingly frustrating to have to keep responding with the same facts because no one gives a shit to actually read what the numbers are. Just so many people going "yeah well this will happen, I have no facts to show this is what will happen, but it will" whilst the facts are right there!

Spoiler: most relevant (click to show/hide)
This is also at a time when the EU is increasingly being hampered by Chinese commodities forcing European manufacturers into bankruptcy, if the EU fails to stop Chinese steel from flooding Europe, German steel is pretty fucked or else even more dependent upon British consumption

*EDIT
It would be quite poetic for the union that propelled itself from economic cooperation through coal and steel to political domination through supremacy and subversion to be placed into the coalfires by the might of Chinese steel
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 04:04:33 pm by Loud Whispers »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 28, 2016, 04:11:30 pm »

LW if you think that having greater manufacturing is equivalent to having greater political power, you must logically therefore think that most developing countries have greater political power than developed ones due to their cheap labour allowing developed countries to outsource most of their industries

and that's obviously not true

finances and technology are where real political power is at

come on LW you should know that as citizen of the country which has been most characterized by transitioning into financial sector ~40 years ago
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #897 on: February 28, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »

LW if you think that having greater manufacturing is equivalent to having greater political power, you must logically therefore think that most developing countries have greater political power than developed ones due to their cheap labour allowing developed countries to outsource most of their industries
and that's obviously not true
Power is power, money is money, money is a multiplier of anything you want including power, but the two are distinct - India, the USA and China all offer great opportunities for wealth but are all on differing levels of power, with India being very decentralized, China very localized, and USA exceptional. The two usually follow, but not necessarily always, notably for example France and the UK are nations that could abandon all notions of power projection to just adopt SWISSORLAN MAGIC and make gold appear for days. Also, a lot to be said about Greece. In short, I do not think greater manufacturing is equivalent to political power, or else the UK would have little and China has already won. Political power is political power

finances and technology are where real political power is at
londonistan shekel magic rap fast make bubbles pop

come on LW you should know that as citizen of the country which has been most characterized by transitioning into financial sector ~40 years ago
One of the great innovations we figured out when doing so is that we figured out when given the choice between more money and even more money you should pick both choices, and failing that, pick the latter

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 29, 2016, 12:17:46 am »

Damn you Loud Whispers

I'm supposed to be writing a cultural event essay, and I can't get your cheeki banter out of my head

Every time I read the prompt about explaining why it was culturally enriching I see your avatar putting on a troll face

You bastard you planned this all along

This was you enriching me
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #899 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:54 am »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched           ☑
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 701