Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 970620 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #870 on: February 28, 2016, 03:32:25 pm »

whereas his daughter ebin le pen is pretty much the only Trump we have in Europe, in character, beliefs and strategy
Nah that would be Geert Wilders. He even has a similarily hilarious blonde coupe.

Wilders went to America on invitation of Frank Gaffney.
Wilders held some speeches and presented his anti-muslim film "Fitna" to Congress in 2009, the next day he spoke for the National Press Club, and the day after he was guest of honour at the CPAC (a yearly conference of conservatives).
Back then in 2009, even right-wing conservatives thought him to be a little bit too radical, and too anti-muslim.

In 2015 Wilders revisited Washington, and appeared in a press conference with Republican members of congress, organized by Gaffney, on the steps of the Capitol.
Wilders said then "I warn the United States. Don't think that what happens now in Europe, will not happen in the US. Because it will. (...) Muslim migrants are the Trojan horse, the jihadists are amongst us!"

Not sure if Trump was present there, and personally met Wilders, but he has nearly literally copy-pasted and used that speech Wilders gave, as his own, as well as copied Wilder's media personality.

Everytime I see Trump, it's like watching an American remake of a Dutch tv show.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #871 on: February 28, 2016, 04:00:17 pm »

Dude, what exactly did that Gunthar told which MP?
Dude, I've already posted this so many times

And how on Earth would the UK not trading with the continent next to it not diminish its long-term growth potential? We can argue with the magnitude of the effect, but arguing that there would be no effect at all? From cutting yourself from the group that makes up about half of your export market?
DOOD
The reason why I posted numbers and not opinions is because facts cannot be disputed. Look at the trade patterns, the majority of the UK's export do not go to Europe, they go to the rest of the world - and this trend is increasing as Europe cannot grow as quickly as possible as the the burgeoning economies around the world.

I'm not arguing there'd be no effect (how do you read this, stop making assumptions on what I say and just read what I say?), the EU cannot stop the UK from trading with Europe, and it's increasingly frustrating to have to keep responding with the same facts because no one gives a shit to actually read what the numbers are. Just so many people going "yeah well this will happen, I have no facts to show this is what will happen, but it will" whilst the facts are right there!

Spoiler: most relevant (click to show/hide)
This is also at a time when the EU is increasingly being hampered by Chinese commodities forcing European manufacturers into bankruptcy, if the EU fails to stop Chinese steel from flooding Europe, German steel is pretty fucked or else even more dependent upon British consumption

*EDIT
It would be quite poetic for the union that propelled itself from economic cooperation through coal and steel to political domination through supremacy and subversion to be placed into the coalfires by the might of Chinese steel
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 04:04:33 pm by Loud Whispers »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 28, 2016, 04:11:30 pm »

LW if you think that having greater manufacturing is equivalent to having greater political power, you must logically therefore think that most developing countries have greater political power than developed ones due to their cheap labour allowing developed countries to outsource most of their industries

and that's obviously not true

finances and technology are where real political power is at

come on LW you should know that as citizen of the country which has been most characterized by transitioning into financial sector ~40 years ago
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #873 on: February 28, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »

LW if you think that having greater manufacturing is equivalent to having greater political power, you must logically therefore think that most developing countries have greater political power than developed ones due to their cheap labour allowing developed countries to outsource most of their industries
and that's obviously not true
Power is power, money is money, money is a multiplier of anything you want including power, but the two are distinct - India, the USA and China all offer great opportunities for wealth but are all on differing levels of power, with India being very decentralized, China very localized, and USA exceptional. The two usually follow, but not necessarily always, notably for example France and the UK are nations that could abandon all notions of power projection to just adopt SWISSORLAN MAGIC and make gold appear for days. Also, a lot to be said about Greece. In short, I do not think greater manufacturing is equivalent to political power, or else the UK would have little and China has already won. Political power is political power

finances and technology are where real political power is at
londonistan shekel magic rap fast make bubbles pop

come on LW you should know that as citizen of the country which has been most characterized by transitioning into financial sector ~40 years ago
One of the great innovations we figured out when doing so is that we figured out when given the choice between more money and even more money you should pick both choices, and failing that, pick the latter

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 29, 2016, 12:17:46 am »

Damn you Loud Whispers

I'm supposed to be writing a cultural event essay, and I can't get your cheeki banter out of my head

Every time I read the prompt about explaining why it was culturally enriching I see your avatar putting on a troll face

You bastard you planned this all along

This was you enriching me
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #875 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:54 am »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched           ☑

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 29, 2016, 01:16:57 am »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Adding [tt] and [/tt] around it allows the checkboxes to line up.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 29, 2016, 02:03:53 am »

I'm not arguing there'd be no effect (how do you read this, stop making assumptions on what I say and just read what I say?), the EU cannot stop the UK from trading with Europe, and it's increasingly frustrating to have to keep responding with the same facts because no one gives a shit to actually read what the numbers are. Just so many people going "yeah well this will happen, I have no facts to show this is what will happen, but it will" whilst the facts are right there!

And it would not cause massive recessions in the short term for the UK, it would do so for Germany - our trade pattern is with the world and increasing. It wouldn't make the UK poorer

That sounded a lot like "we don't care". Saying that loosing half of your export market overnight wouldn't cause a massive recessions strikes me a very dubious. And yes, I know that proportion is slowly shrinking as the rest of the world get richer. But it's still massive! Also, your directly state "it wouldn't make the UK poorer. That sounds a lot like you're arguing there'd be no effect.

I'm all for not making assumptions about what you're saying, but then stop saying stuff you don't mean.

As for our friend Gunther Krichbaum, I actually searched in the thread for every mention you made of him. Not once did you link a source.

The responses to this are surprising coming from a pro-EU newspaper, after one of our MPs leaked a delightful conversation with Germany's EU Affairs Chairman Gunther Krichbaum where Gunther Krichbaum threatened the UK with trade war and economic collapse during a meeting. Understanding that Gunther Krichbaum was just probably trying to intimidate him personally, our good ol' MP decided to make this statement public.

France is not threatening us with trade war, Portugal is not threatening us with trade war, Denmark is not, Poland is not, Hungary is not, Austria is not, Spain is not, Italy is not e.t.c.
Only German ministers, with Gunther Krichbaum being a repeat offender.

And a couple of other bants. So what exactly did that chairman of the Bundestag commitee tell what MP?

Also, reading back, why do you systematically ignore that trade relations are negotiated at the EU level?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #878 on: February 29, 2016, 04:25:11 am »

That sounded a lot like "we don't care". Saying that loosing half of your export market overnight wouldn't cause a massive recessions strikes me a very dubious. And yes, I know that proportion is slowly shrinking as the rest of the world get richer. But it's still massive! Also, your directly state "it wouldn't make the UK poorer. That sounds a lot like you're arguing there'd be no effect.
Perhaps you've mistaken my disregard for the scenario as a disregard for good living. I do quite care, I don't have any financial incentive in seeking poverty. I just reject the notion of a trade war or such an extreme example as total collapse of trade as even realistic, same way I do not give any credence to a military strike upon the UK. In an alternate reality where the Commission actually wields the power to halt British exports to the European continent, a situation that has never been successfully carried out upon the British in recorded history once, (the only times where I can find a collapse in trade are during the Great War and WWII, where the UK stopped exporting soap and tea and started exporting shells and bombs), things do not end well for the UK but what matters to me is it ends even worse for the continent. In this scenario where the EU manages to succeed where all others have failed (and that's what that whole Napoleon tangent was about, even with one of the greatest generals, with one of the greatest militaries, with all of Europe including Russia backing them in outright blockading the UK to cause economic collapse - not only failed to stop the UK trading with the Americas, also failed to stop the UK trading with Europe. But again, let's all put that aside. In this apocalyptic scenario where some Brussel shekel wizards manage to halt all UK exports to Europe completely and demand from growing world economies halts because the world economy just so happens to be collapsing at the same time or something, (also removing the financial crutch of London as stocks and forex reserves pop into worthlessness), the humanitarian disaster that would hit the EU alongside the economic one would be sufficient deterrence to such attempts. Consider that Russia has been able to force EU compliance with less interdependence, whilst if it should come to harm the UK what would become of the $100B worth of German imports the UK pays for yearly? It is like watching someone threaten to pull the pin from the grenade whilst they are 20 metres away in order to make me do what they want, I know they will die, I have a chance of surviving. I'd rather they not pull the pin and just work with me, but knowing survival is possible is a confidence booster.

I'm all for not making assumptions about what you're saying, but then stop saying stuff you don't mean.
I say what I mean and you read into it all you can, I'm not exactly Shakespeare here, it's not to be or not to be, it is.

As for our friend Gunther Krichbaum, I actually searched in the thread for every mention you made of him. Not once did you link a source.
The responses to this are surprising coming from a pro-EU newspaper, after one of our MPs leaked a delightful conversation with Germany's EU Affairs Chairman Gunther Krichbaum where Gunther Krichbaum threatened the UK with trade war and economic collapse during a meeting. Understanding that Gunther Krichbaum was just probably trying to intimidate him personally, our good ol' MP decided to make this statement public.
France is not threatening us with trade war, Portugal is not threatening us with trade war, Denmark is not, Poland is not, Hungary is not, Austria is not, Spain is not, Italy is not e.t.c.
Only German ministers, with Gunther Krichbaum being a repeat offender.

And a couple of other bants. So what exactly did that chairman of the Bundestag commitee tell what MP?

Also, reading back, why do you systematically ignore that trade relations are negotiated at the EU level?

Goodness gracious, that selective reading. Is this is language barrier or something?
I was greeted by a most unpleasant sight this evening from one of my papers, the Metro. They are pro-EU but it seems this was even too much for them.
If you ask of me to hear you out on quoting from paper-copies of the Economist without delivering on issue and then try to pull this on me whilst deliberately editing out the exact part where I disclose my source, well, you can see why I get the impression that Europol thread does not deserve to be taken seriously when it conducts everything dishonestly
At any rate it's in the recycling, but the BBC does this thing where they talk about headlines in the papers, unfortunately they do not cover my paper but they do cover the Daily Mail which also covered the same story online. Generally speaking citing the Daily Mail is bad form unless the lefties are covering for more rapists again, it is worth noting this is the same minister warning that the UK is opening pandora's box and had to be stopped whilst he himself had to be calmed down by one of his MPs to stop advocating sanctions on Poland to "save" Poles in Poland when he's not busy telling Cameron he'll get a bloody nose if he curbs immigration unilaterally. He's also in charge of the EU sanctions on Russia.
He seems to me to be a bit too sanction happy, he's playing with other peoples' lives and not from a position of victory. Seems odd as well, when everyone criticizes him for meddling in internal affairs, he proves them wrong by threatening their nations with economic destruction if they do not listen to him. The problem with a man whose hands are hammers is that all problems start to look like nails.

Oh, yeah and I'm systematically ignoring the EU's dealings with the USA and China because the UK conducts their own trade relations and the EU's current negotiations have been a dismal failure so far and I'm not sure how long they can keep the periphery placated.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note well! Independent trade relations at work here! Also note well! Our trade relations fit our country, and are not forced upon countries to whom it would actually harm!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:26:43 am by Loud Whispers »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #879 on: March 01, 2016, 06:11:03 pm »

The Leave Campaign has started to eat itself which will mean relations after the referendum between North and South, Tory and Tory and Cameron and Left is going to be fucking fantastic (well, if you like interesting politics). Salmon publicly rebuked Cameron for leading a campaign of fear, for which he got haranged by his own cabinet - and Salmon delivered a horrendous smackdown "you don't have a 20 point lead to squander anymore"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #880 on: March 01, 2016, 06:26:31 pm »

Wasn't it the Sturgeon General who said that, or are you implying he's pulling her strings?
Oh wait, yeah that's who I meant. I sometimes confuse the two after hours of making fish puns.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/29/sturgeon-camerons-eu-deal-is-underwhelming-for-undecided-voters

Also I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Moscow thing from yesterday. Though I suppose it's not EU enough.
Now Russia is joining in on the West's tradition of maintaining social cohesion

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 01, 2016, 06:34:21 pm »

Not sure why a murder needs to be national news anyway.  So I guess the issue is more with the other non stories they made into news then with this one not being news.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 01, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »

To be fair, it's lurid even by Russian standards. It combines violence against children, a truly gruesome and a public showing of it...and a passing, crazy reference to terrorism on top of it. It would have easily made national headlines here. Why you expect the Russians to downplay it or treat it as normal, I'm not sure. But even setting aside the act itself, the message one can take away from her ramblings is enough to be of consequence everyone.

Or it's just a lurid murder story that made national attentions. News at 11.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #883 on: March 01, 2016, 11:05:09 pm »

Not sure why a murder needs to be national news anyway.  So I guess the issue is more with the other non stories they made into news then with this one not being news.
Because jihadis beheading children and setting peoples' homes on fire is not an ordinary occurrence in Moscow, this is not exactly your average murder (with most murders being news worthy on the local level minimum, serial killers and public murders national level and especially shocking murders international). Sort of like that guy who was cooked to death in the kayak furnace by accident or the two Russian kids who died in the boiling sewer, only this time it wasn't an accident and it was done by a jihadi at a time where jihadis are highly relevant to the old world due to a recent spike in beheadings on our streets

Also a kid victim

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 02, 2016, 01:21:19 am »

Better chalk this one up to workplace violence.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 793