Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007928 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1620 on: April 06, 2016, 10:00:29 pm »

It's happening!

These guys have always done better in Iceland than anywhere else, but I wonder what they'll do now that they've suddenly been catapulted out of irrelevance.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:02:32 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 06, 2016, 10:08:37 pm »

It's happening!

These guys have always done better in Iceland than anywhere else, but I wonder what they'll do now that they've suddenly been catapulted out of irrelevance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIs0S77RLk8
warning lots of flashing colors

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 07, 2016, 03:05:10 am »

In before the USA invades Iceland to protect Hollywood video rights.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 07, 2016, 03:28:40 am »

Why is that referendum even "valid" after 30%?

It's a advisory referendum, it doesn't "do" anything after becoming valid.

The only ACTUAL outcome is that most people didn't give a shit.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 07, 2016, 03:50:41 am »

Democracy sure feels not great when it gives out results that you don't want, eh?
I don't see what a referendum where the uninformed are allowed to vote on a single topic has to do with democracy. Referenda like that are more a tool of anarchists, leading to contradiction and disrupting the functioning of a democraticalluy elected government.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: April 07, 2016, 04:52:29 am »

It's the very definition of "direct democracy". It's still not necessarily a good idea, but it's ridiculous to claim that it isn't democracy.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: April 07, 2016, 05:10:16 am »

It's the very definition of "direct democracy". It's still not necessarily a good idea, but it's ridiculous to claim that it isn't democracy.

The actual result is that 68% of people thought it was a stupid referendum and decided not to vote.

Also if 6% of "yes" voters had decided NOT to vote, then the referendum would have suddenly been invalid.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:14:31 am by Antioch »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 07, 2016, 06:38:45 am »

I still that this referendum is a good thing because it attracts more attention to Ukraine. Delaying some stuff from the association is not critical.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: April 07, 2016, 06:48:58 am »

I'm willing to bet there is Russia support involved in this stuff.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: April 07, 2016, 07:41:51 am »

The actual result is that 68% of people thought it was a stupid referendum and decided not to vote.

Also if 6% of "yes" voters had decided NOT to vote, then the referendum would have suddenly been invalid.
About the "low voted turnout". Let's look at the most democratic country in the world, an undisputed #1 country in societal, technological, and economical progress:

Oh hey, it looks like their midterm turnout is only about 10% higher than of this referendum! And you know what, the Americans consider that enough to make the results of said elections completely valid AND binding.

In general, it seems that people only agree with democracy when it gives out results that they want. If it doesn't, suddenly people start inventing all kinds of excuses as to why "this time doesn't count", like "it may have been different if more people voted" or "it wouldn't count if less people voted".

Well tough luck, this is how democracy works. You have to vote in order to make it count. Otherwise it wouldn't be democracy, now would it? I've seen so many people from USA saying that you must vote, even if you don't think it will change anything, or if you think it's pointless - because if enough people think that way, then stuff like this referendum happens.
._.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: April 07, 2016, 07:58:59 am »

No in this case not voting would clearly have been the superior choice, since that would have invalidated the referendum.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 07, 2016, 08:00:15 am »

most democratic country in the world
[citation needed]
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1632 on: April 07, 2016, 08:08:43 am »

an undisputed #1 country in societal, technological, and economical progress
*Incessant cackling*
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: April 07, 2016, 08:46:24 am »

He's talking about Switzerland, right?
Love, scriver~

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 793