Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008711 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4725 on: January 26, 2017, 12:00:00 pm »

But that, sir, would require authorities to recognize that sunni and salafist immigrants are troublesome, which will never happen, at least not in germonyland, the land of feminists that defend muslims instead of women :U
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:05 pm »

But that, sir, would require authorities to recognize that sunni and salafist immigrants are troublesome, which will never happen, at least not in germonyland, the land of feminists that defend muslims instead of women :U

if the quota are built using random picks for distributing family groups they'd get to save face while preventing the border nations to pay the social price.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: January 26, 2017, 01:12:35 pm »

The Yazidis suffer more misfortune by having the terrible judgment of being Christian.
Uh, no? Yazidis are not at all Christian. They have their own belief, which apparently is most closely related to Zoroastrianism, with incorporation of some aspects of jewish, christian and muslim traditions.
In fact, IS regards them as worse than Christians. Christians are allowed to live if they pay taxes to the caliphate. Yazidi are regarded as devil worshippers.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: January 26, 2017, 03:58:45 pm »

The Yazidis suffer more misfortune by having the terrible judgment of being Christian.
Uh, no? Yazidis are not at all Christian. They have their own belief, which apparently is most closely related to Zoroastrianism, with incorporation of some aspects of jewish, christian and muslim traditions.
In fact, IS regards them as worse than Christians. Christians are allowed to live if they pay taxes to the caliphate. Yazidi are regarded as devil worshippers.

I am dreadfully misinformed, it would seem. Strange, but thank you for the correction. I was under the impression that it was a smaller sect, with Zoroastrian connections rather than being an entirely different group entirely. Very fascinating.
Dear, oh dear, that makes their situation even worse. They have had a terrible fortune, the poor sods. I can imagine that, not being one of the main three faiths, they are effectively the region's chew toy. Particularly if IS cannot even be bothered with that protection racket charade for their count.

Again, thank you. That was quite illuminating.

It is odd. Very odd. I understand that doing some sorting and processing can sound unpalatable, but it ought to be in everyone's best interest, all together. I simply do not think that a Moroccan has the same need for asylum in an European state as a Syrian, from a vulnerable minority group. Not to mention, doing some elementary sorting and registering means that you can avoid situations in which he is left alone in a hostile group.
It is a fairytale, this idea that all migrants are all the same type, with the same need, the same intention and, let it be stated, the same worth. That is, in terms of willingness to adapt and behave. It is a tale that does not do anyone any good, either. It simplifies things, no doubt, but that is the last thing that is needed. Too much is already sacrificed because of short-term "goodness" that is an irresponsible ersatz for what would be the good but difficult things to do.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: January 26, 2017, 05:48:46 pm »

Silverthrone, did you pay attention to what's happening? Of course we sort migrants and asylum seekers. The issue here is whether Portugal should sort WITHIN those that have been grante asylum.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: January 26, 2017, 07:46:44 pm »

Silverthrone, did you pay attention to what's happening? Of course we sort migrants and asylum seekers. The issue here is whether Portugal should sort WITHIN those that have been grante asylum.

Well, yes, the doors are not entirely wide open with no processing at all. The question is, is it very effective? I can only speak from what I see, but it does not seem particularly waterproof. It also seems very impopular in some opinion circles, for the reason that I had a grumble about: the simplified idea of the refugee and a very simplified idea of what is the best thing to do.

I think I have caused rather the misunderstanding, though. It was a very general grumble, so from now on, directly on the topic directly reguarding the Portugese business: As far as I can see, they want to fulfill their asylum obligation rather à la carte. Greece, and no doubt the other more decidedly frontline member states, are not very thrilled. It is understandable, for no one wants to be left with a major share of the difficult cases, while the neighbours snatch up all the easier ones. It would be particularly sore for Greece, in this case.
I am unsure. On the one hand, it would not be particularly fair if some member states could pick and mix as they pleased, while others could not. On the other hand, a sovereign nation ought to have at least some say and control in which people they will accept. I would also imagine that a special asylum-scheme like it would not be a terribly bad idea when it comes to smaller ethnic groups likely to be victimised by other majority migrants. Of course, negotiating who will host them is another exorcise entirely.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: January 27, 2017, 01:51:42 am »

Equal-share proportional to population is the simplest solution. Equality between sovereign nations, much like equality between individuals, is often the best way to resolve such disputes. If nations agree to trade some share of refugees amongst each other, they can, but equal shares as a starting point, and sucking it up if you feel like that's somehow unfair, is rather the default, yeah?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: January 27, 2017, 02:51:10 am »

Well, yes, the doors are not entirely wide open with no processing at all. The question is, is it very effective? I can only speak from what I see, but it does not seem particularly waterproof. It also seems very impopular in some opinion circles, for the reason that I had a grumble about: the simplified idea of the refugee and a very simplified idea of what is the best thing to do.

Well, yeah, due process make everything hard. Notably, it's quite difficult to deport those that had their asylum application rejected.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: January 27, 2017, 09:58:52 am »

Equal-share proportional to population is the simplest solution. Equality between sovereign nations, much like equality between individuals, is often the best way to resolve such disputes. If nations agree to trade some share of refugees amongst each other, they can, but equal shares as a starting point, and sucking it up if you feel like that's somehow unfair, is rather the default, yeah?
And an immediate outcry arose from the poorer countries, "why not equal-share proportional to national wealth?  Just because we have more people doesn't mean we have more money." :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4734 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:00 am »

As a point of information, IS is not letting Christians live with Jizya tax, that's what the moderates are doing. IS is just killing them or forcibly converting their daughters

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: January 27, 2017, 10:50:55 am »

As a point of information, IS is not letting Christians live with Jizya tax, that's what the moderates are doing. IS is just killing them or forcibly converting their daughters

I4ve seen conflicting stuff on this, notably that IS allow the Jizya to be paid, but only in gold or something. Is there any good reporting on Christians/other religious minorities under IS rule?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4736 on: January 27, 2017, 10:58:25 am »

I4ve seen conflicting stuff on this, notably that IS allow the Jizya to be paid, but only in gold or something. Is there any good reporting on Christians/other religious minorities under IS rule?
I'm shocked that it isn't common knowledge tbh
2014, the genocide becomes common knowledge
2016, EU officially declares it genocide

This is a more interesting read than the EU article, which is very legal

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: January 27, 2017, 11:25:12 am »

Well, I knoew it was bad, but I was looking for details of how it was bad. Thanks for the links, I'll hava a read.  :) 'Probably not going to be :) by the end of it)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4738 on: January 28, 2017, 05:27:38 am »

Yeah I've only seen them do ironic jizya where they force them to give up all their hidden wealth and once the wealth runs out, kill them and take their daughters with forcible conversion. You'd think forcible conversion wouldn't be so bad because there's always the hope of escape and reconversion, but the penalty for leaving the faith is death so it's pretty shit with a hope of shit and an expectation of lifetime shit

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: January 28, 2017, 06:29:04 am »

Yeah I've only seen them do ironic jizya where they force them to give up all their hidden wealth and once the wealth runs out, kill them and take their daughters with forcible conversion. You'd think forcible conversion wouldn't be so bad because there's always the hope of escape and reconversion, but the penalty for leaving the faith is death so it's pretty shit with a hope of shit and an expectation of lifetime shit
And even if they do escape they will probably be cast out by their Christian families because they lost their virginity to a muslim.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 793