Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008040 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4935 on: February 22, 2017, 12:31:51 am »

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. The state doesn't have any legitimate interest in censoring music.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: February 22, 2017, 12:50:22 am »

1500 euros, of which 500 conditional.

It may not be legitimate, but I believe I've found the interest...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: February 22, 2017, 01:21:35 am »

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. The state doesn't have any legitimate interest in censoring music.
The music isn't censored. You can still buy his song in the music store. He got convicted for hatespeech, the song didn't get censored. I fully agree with the verdict. He is a role model for Dutch (-moroccan) youth. He's inciting his audience to hate jews and gays. The court was right to convict him.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: February 22, 2017, 01:29:41 am »

Wouldn't surprise me if he earns more in extra sales then the fine, though

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: February 22, 2017, 01:30:54 am »

Which is why I said the fine is very low.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:04 am »

The music isn't censored. You can still buy his song in the music store. He got convicted for hatespeech, the song didn't get censored. I fully agree with the verdict. He is a role model for Dutch (-moroccan) youth. He's inciting his audience to hate jews and gays. The court was right to convict him.
It's a chilling effect, and knowledge of such a verdict being accepted will cow a lot more people than those who want to put slurs in music. Censorship can be much more subtle than "not allowed", and these days that's the way you're likely to go about it. There is no legal responsibility to be a good role model to young people.

And, most centrally, I believe in a universal freedom of speech and of art. Yes, yes, I know you don't think that's freedom of speech. Nobody on opposite sides of this has ever come to an agreement on it, for all the times it has come up in the forum.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: February 22, 2017, 02:55:00 am »

I dont understand the verdict tbh. If its hate speech and promotes cri,e or whatnot then I could understand banning it. If it's not, its not.  But to say it is, fine the author, and allow for its sale, is a bit contradictory tbh.

Then again, I'm not sure how effective is censorship at repressing this shit tbh.  I tend to agree with MSH on principle.  But my main sentiment is bafflement because its so much of a half measure
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4942 on: February 22, 2017, 09:31:15 am »

Dude all rap promotes crime and discrimination, the hell are you gonna ban everything that isn't Macklemore chanting 'i <3 gay'
Too much power to have. It will get abused for power consolidation every time, social engineering comes easy when you can legally change what is perceived as cool and popular

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: February 22, 2017, 09:39:07 am »

I'm fairly ok with people using social engineering to make not hating gays and jews ok.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4944 on: February 22, 2017, 10:36:24 am »

I'm fairly ok with people using social engineering to make not hating gays and jews ok.
And mass surveillance was brought in on the pretense of catching pedophiles and terrorists, you think my reservations would be an endorsement of either? Fuck no, it's because this is too much power and it will be abused. You do not simply give a small number of people the power to socially engineer all of society and expect them to not employ that for their own ends

The stated goals of tolerance, in that it will fail. Just look at how weak the sentencing was for this guy, or ffs how the Streisand effect made that shoah ananas guy go from being this backwater hack to an international antihero fighting the government and meeting Presidents. In the UK we're rather more nervous about this kind of stuff because through anti-pedo, anti-terror, anti-piracy and anti-hate laws we lost a whole lot of free speech (least, not without surveillance or data retention) and for the time being will never get that back. In contemporary times we started skirting into rather Swedish territory, where for example criticizing open borders would get you done in for being a racist hatemonger - an attack which would be career ending for most. We even got an MP investigating the Asian rape gangs arrested for hate speech lmao, an echo of the Swedish and German states actions years early - and even recently, one of our highest ministers just got reported for hate speech by a Professor who didn't even listen to her speech, because it's all about social engineering to push an agenda with moral superiority. Big teflon politicians can shrug off this kinda shit, but Jamal Jimmy Chucklefuck down the block doesn't stand a chance. Then of course we've got this fucked up shit where cartoon frogs can retroactively become hate symbols because someone said so.

In regards to the rapping medium in Netherlands, the whole medium is dangerous, hateful, vice incarnate and that is why young edgy kids listen to it. Young edgy kids like simulated danger, like hateful music that tells them to fuck their life up and die young. If you wish to embark on this campaign the resources you have to mobilize to shut down a whole medium is pretty vast, which gives whoever's mobilizing a great deal of power. They won't win either since edgy kids like the idea of fighting against big powerful foes with little effort (such as by spreading rap music), so it only propels the popularity further - technological advancement has made it so that if you shut down one rapper, already there will be mirrors and torrents multiplying like rats. Let's not even go into who is the arbiter of what constitutes illegal speech cos lmao you can show mock execution of politicians for being Jews, A OK, because intersectionality

It all strikes me of attacking the symptoms, protecting the illness whilst the doctor has gone mad with power. Just look at who this fiasco ultimately serves:
“I hate those fucking Jews more than the Nazis,” “don’t shake hands with faggots.”
Whatever Dutch newspaper wrote this left out 'and “don’t believe in anything but the Koran.” That context control is probably for the benefit of Dutch whites more than Moroccans, unless we are to pretend that the real issue the Netherlands has created is violent video games and hip hop

It amuses me to no end that a few years ago even on this forum it was a laughable notion that cultural enrichment would ever occur in reality, and now that yesterday's irony is today's sincerity, this is how the bold and powerful Europe responds. Banning hijabs and rap music
wtf, it's like consistently proposing the impossible whilst ignoring the practical

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: February 22, 2017, 11:01:46 am »

A French website wants Obama to run for French presidency, lol. Cute, France. But don't you need a French citizenship in order to be President there? Seems like a logical thing to be one.

Seriously though, does anybody think that Obama would really want to jump straight back into politics after 8 years?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: February 22, 2017, 11:49:11 am »

Dutch Moroccan rapper Ismo has been convicted by a high court to a fine of 1500 euros for including the lines "I don't shake hands with faggots and I hate jews more than I hate the nazis" in one of his songs.

Earlier, a judge had cleared him of hatespeech charges, argueing that he was allowed to say that under free speech laws, but the appeal High Court destroyed that earlier verdict.

Ismo's statement that he didn't mean homosexual persons with the word 'faggots' was deemed incredible, nor was his argument that bad language is an inherent part of rap music appreciated by the court.

Serves him right. Punishment is low though. 1500 euros, of which 500 conditional.
I agree, the Union must enforce proper culture on its citizens by punishing any socially unacceptable behavior. But why stop at racist slurs? We must ban all slurs within the artistic media, for the sake of our children's mental health! You play black metal? Pay the fine and say "thanks" that you haven't been sent to jail, you deviant!
._.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: February 22, 2017, 11:57:24 am »

A French website wants Obama to run for French presidency, lol. Cute, France. But don't you need a French citizenship in order to be President there? Seems like a logical thing to be one.

Seriously though, does anybody think that Obama would really want to jump straight back into politics after 8 years?
he could get a citizenship if he served in the French Foreign Legion!
https://youtu.be/x7DNQmSwSuU
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:58:57 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: February 24, 2017, 04:08:25 pm »

Lol at Dutch bureaucracy. Starting next year, mandatory military service will no longer be for men only, but also for women.

But since our military service has been adjourned indefinitly in 1997, nothing will change in practice. There's no military service, we only have a professional standing army.

It does mean however that if at any time in the future military service is resumed, the feminists will be happy.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: February 24, 2017, 04:15:11 pm »

Lol at Dutch bureaucracy. Starting next year, mandatory military service will no longer be for men only, but also for women.

But since our military service has been adjourned indefinitly in 1997, nothing will change in practice. There's no military service, we only have a professional standing army.

It does mean however that if at any time in the future military service is resumed, the feminists will be happy.

Why were women exempt in the first place, there is a lot more work in the military than just front-line duty.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 793