Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1001936 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5220 on: March 21, 2017, 05:17:15 pm »

Daily Mail as a source. Oh my. I guess that means he was one of the good guys after all.

He was a terrorist and a child murderer. Whether you think his later efforts toward peace atone for that or not, it's not really something to be flippant about.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Three-year-old Johnathan Ball died at the scene. He had been in town with his babysitter, shopping for a Mother's Day card. The second victim, 12-year-old Tim Parry, was gravely wounded. He died on 25 March 1993 when doctors switched his life support machine off, having asked permission to do so from his family, after tests had found minimal brain activity.[6] Fifty-four other people were injured, four of them seriously.
Oh come on now, 'child murderer' is transparently manipulative. I'm not going to try to defend terrorist bombings, but this kind of sophistry ticks me off.

There's a clear insinuation being made here that the situation was along the lines of 'Hey, a three-year-old. He looks Wrong Irish, I'll go shoot him' rather than the child being a random casualty.

And the beauty of this phrasing is how perfectly deniable the underlying insinuation is, isn't it?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: March 21, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »

That's whataboutism,  Helgo. We were talking about Martin McGuinness, not the Paras, if you hadn't noticed.
It's not whataboutism, it's calling someone out on their partisanship. Funnily enough the partisanship here is directed against the actual partisans*. Go figure.

* For a given value of partisan. I don't mean to defend terrorists here.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: March 21, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »

Given the nature of insurgency and the difficulty of halting political violence, anything that successfully folds terrorists into a non-militant political group is laudable, regardless of the crimes committed by the insurgency or counter-insurgency.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: March 21, 2017, 06:31:34 pm »

that doesn't mean they are not responsible for the deaths of innocents and they should never forget that. if you want to want forgiveness you better mean it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:41 pm »

Not to mention the public outcry such things cause. People aren't easy to forgive anyone they don't consider sufficiently punished, specially if they were never punished, which is one of the major reasons as to why the "peace treaty" with the FARC went to shit. People don't want the FARC to become some political party, they want them to be hunted and punished as the drug dealing kidnapper terrorists they are.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: March 21, 2017, 07:56:25 pm »

That's a fairly narrow analysis, I think. Look up South Africa's Peace and Reconciliation program - it's more about closure, not punishment in the sense of revenge.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5226 on: March 21, 2017, 11:22:20 pm »

Truth and Reconciliation Commission, not peace, but yeah.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: March 21, 2017, 11:43:09 pm »

It's no different that Columbia cutting a deal with FARC or Hirihito not being hung in 1948. People are willing to trade justice for peace.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: March 21, 2017, 11:47:26 pm »

As they should be. For an individual justice is more important, but for a society peace is almost always more important, and in the end terrorism is a societal problem.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: March 22, 2017, 09:55:19 am »

Meanwhile in Turkey, Erdogan continues ranting and takes it a step further.

"If Europeans do not change their attitude towards Turkey, Europeans will no longer be able to safely walk the street, anywhere in the world"

Seems he wants to become the next IS.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: March 22, 2017, 10:02:33 am »

British parliament session has been interrupted because there currently is a shootout going on outside it.
A parliamentary spokesman said at least two people were shot. A photographer has said he saw at least 12 victims lying at the nearby Westminster Bridge.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/schietpartij-bij-brits-parlement-vergadering-stopgezet~a4477617/
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-gunfire-reported-outside-houses-10076492

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39355940
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:06:17 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:50 am »

British parliament session has been interrupted because there currently is a shootout going on outside it.

Shouldnt that be impossible, because there are almost no guns in UK?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: March 22, 2017, 10:17:30 am »

Almost no legal guns is not the same as almost no guns. Gun control became impossible with the Schengen borders

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: March 22, 2017, 10:19:16 am »

Almost no legal guns is not the same as almost no guns. Gun control became impossible with the Schengen borders

That was the point. I'm sure the british feel safe solely because they have so few guns.

Anyhow. Looks like someone drove into crowd and there was a simultaneous stabbing. And either the stabber or the car driver has been shot dead.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:29 am »

https://twitter.com/AuroreItalie/status/844566407551569920?s=09

Looks like the bridge is still full of bodies and wounded.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 793