Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 993886 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5505 on: April 15, 2017, 06:55:34 am »

The first paragraph of the article says that there's significant doubt the attack was the work of radical Islamists. "Allegedly" meaning something that is reported, but there's no proof.

The article goes on to quote state prosecutor Frauke Koehler as agreeing with the German media reports that it was "accurate" that the letters found at the scene saying the attack was done in the name of Allah may be fakes, which is what it says in the title of the article, thought a little more certainly than the article does.

Where exactly did I get it wrong?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5506 on: April 15, 2017, 07:09:24 am »

The first paragraph of the article says that there's significant doubt the attack was the work of radical Islamists. "Allegedly" meaning something that is reported, but there's no proof.

The article goes on to quote state prosecutor Frauke Koehler as agreeing with the German media reports that it was "accurate" that the letters found at the scene saying the attack was done in the name of Allah may be fakes, which is what it says in the title of the article, thought a little more certainly than the article does.

Where exactly did I get it wrong?

A better way of putting it would've been "there are doubts that the attack was not the work of radical Islamists".

Even then, that's a push. I can't blame you because the article is trash, though. The only real fact is that the notes don't quite match up to standard ISIS demands.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: April 15, 2017, 07:18:00 am »

This is pretty rich coming from a guy who three days ago was speculating about it being a prank out of control by hooligans.  Now hector13 is at fault for posting an article that questioned a bit too much it being an islamist attack? Cmon give me a break.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:19:47 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5508 on: April 15, 2017, 07:21:34 am »

This is pretty rich coming from a guy who three days ago was speculating about it being a prank out of control by hooligans.  Now hector13 is at fault for posting an article that questioned a bit too much it being an islamist attack? Cmon give me a break.

Where did I do that, exactly?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: April 15, 2017, 09:30:42 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was someone else.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: April 15, 2017, 09:48:18 am »

Most likely it was actually Covenant, he did say that he thought it had been done by soccer (football to you guys in Europe, not to be confused with American Football) hooligans.

Here's a different source (if much shorter article) saying the same thing.

@shub on DNA being racial profiling: I'd say no, if done right, but biases can still come into play. If they were looking specifically at 'black racial markers', then yes, that'd be racial profiling.

Also, not the first time news articles have headings contradictory or misleading to the article itself.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:50:12 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: April 15, 2017, 10:08:52 am »

It's entirely possible for a lone wolf to claim allegiance to ISIS and at the same time, not follow their usual MO. Though they don't know if it's a lone wolf or a group, the BBC article also mentions that the explosive was 'professionally made'.

Can any German Bay12ers corroborate on that? The Politico article does link to a Dutch newspaper, but it's paywalled, or maybe adblockerwalled, not gonna bother google translating that.

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5512 on: April 15, 2017, 10:23:43 am »

It's entirely possible for a lone wolf to claim allegiance to ISIS and at the same time, not follow their usual MO. Though they don't know if it's a lone wolf or a group, the BBC article also mentions that the explosive was 'professionally made'.

It's mostly amazing to me that it didn't say "is probably not linked to IS" or "is part of a splinter group". Not "is probably not Islamists".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: April 15, 2017, 10:31:50 am »

It's more of a sense that they aren't absolutely sure who did it and it's standard operating procedure to look at all possibilities.

If it does say in the letters that they (whoever 'they' are) wanted the US airbase closed and German warplanes out of Syria, then that is pretty odd if it was an ISIS affiliated person, since they don't do negotiation (besides "Die or submit to our rule, heathens!"). Which is one factor contributing to them saying "we're not sure here."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:37:02 am by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: April 15, 2017, 11:09:10 am »

Just took a look at the latest polls in France.

._.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: April 15, 2017, 02:58:08 pm »

Headline tip: Florida Man "Truly awful" means that someone has said Florida Man is truly awful in those words, Florida Man 'truly awful' means that someone thinks Florida Man was truly awful but used too many words to say so to fit in a headline so it got shortened, and Florida Man Truly Awful means that, i dunno, scientists have tested him and gotten a reading of six millihitlers.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: April 15, 2017, 06:17:55 pm »

The fact that culture can be a mitigating factor is worrying in itself.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: April 16, 2017, 03:09:51 am »

The fact that culture can be a mitigating factor is worrying in itself.

Uh, who are your responding to?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: April 20, 2017, 02:45:57 pm »

In Italy, the combination of high unemployment and smothering bureaucracy has prompted the rise of a new profession: Queue-stander.
For 10 euros per hour, Giovanni Cafaro will stand in a queue line for you, so you can go do something else until it's your turn.
To quote the man: "as soon as this idea struck me, I knew for sure that I'd never be unemployed again in my life".

EDIT:

In unrelated news, in Germany, Amazon has aroused the fury of employee right organisations, by designing a new system to counter sick leave on the job.
It was already known practice, to reward employees who are never sick with a bonus on top of their salary.
Amazon changed this: You still get a bonus for not being sick, but it will be lowered if any of your direct colleagues have been sick. Amazon hopes that group pressure will bring down sick leave. Employee rights organisations are outraged.

I can see it already. "because you have cancer, I get paid less. I'll make you pay for that!"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:51:22 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: April 20, 2017, 03:36:25 pm »

I can see it already. "because you have cancer, I get paid less. I'll make you pay for that!"

All according to plan. Fortunately people seem to be blaming the company for their gilded age tier policy, instead of each other for being sick.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 793