Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002200 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6780 on: September 29, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »

I'd just have one house/chamber of government be proportional and one be constituency based, or based on a derivative of constituencies and give them a lot of the same powers and duties as regards drafting, reviewing and approving legislation.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: September 29, 2017, 05:53:23 pm »

Right, then. Tomorrow is the big day for Gothenburg. Will we have a small and tidy Nazi band spending the afternoon being shouted down, or will we have another riot?

It matters in Union politicics, for goodness me, Nazis regaining this degree of momentum is not a good sign at all. It is also rather unpleasant that militant individuals across Europe is racing to intercept or to join them. I shall return with general information and impressions thereof tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:57:03 pm by Silverthrone »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: September 29, 2017, 06:03:53 pm »

I will say this, the one advantage is that having MPs tied to constituencies allows you to get rid of shit MPs. On the flip side it's also cancer, and I think it'd be more sensible just to split local representatives from national representatives, so you'd vote for a local MP and a national MP
Germany has precisely that - look into MMP. It's pretty much the best of both worlds.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: September 30, 2017, 03:13:39 am »

Right, then. Tomorrow is the big day for Gothenburg. Will we have a small and tidy Nazi band spending the afternoon being shouted down, or will we have another riot?

It matters in Union politicics, for goodness me, Nazis regaining this degree of momentum is not a good sign at all. It is also rather unpleasant that militant individuals across Europe is racing to intercept or to join them. I shall return with general information and impressions thereof tomorrow.

It is a direct consequence of the massive immigration we have seen.

The way unlimited immigration empowers the far right is one of the reasons I think it is a bad idea.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: September 30, 2017, 06:45:02 am »

That sounds a bit like 'hey, if we kill all jews, there'd be no nazis'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: September 30, 2017, 06:46:30 am »

Just one more thing we can blame on the immigrants, I guess.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: September 30, 2017, 07:03:10 am »

Immigrants are not responsible for setting immigration policies, the government is.
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: September 30, 2017, 07:18:13 am »

Well NMR seems to be held up by police.

Counter-protesters have forced themselves past the police and are marching towards NMR.

EDIT: Deadlock at Liseberg railway station. NMR and counter-protesters at opposing sides, with police in-between.

EDIT2: Tensions growing, firecrackers thrown (by counter-protesters?) and people from both sides have been arrested.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:36:33 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: September 30, 2017, 07:52:59 am »

Immigrants are not responsible for setting immigration policies, the government is.

Immigrants are responsible for immigrating, though. Whether that's for for economic reasons or for their own safety, it's all their fault.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: September 30, 2017, 08:05:20 am »

Come on, please don't equate genocide with being an opponent of immigration.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: September 30, 2017, 08:08:22 am »

NMR booing, fighting among the counter-protesters (unknown group), counter-protesters throwing stuff at the police.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: September 30, 2017, 02:55:35 pm »

The events of the day cannot be noted as any sort of success for the Nazis. The rally did not go very well, in fact, it did not even went going, strictly speaking, for the whole blasted thing broke down in scuffles and was stopped several streets away from the rallying point.
There were counter-protesters aplenty, many ordinary townsfolk, and quite a few were activists, some from abroad. That was not a surprise, as every Antifa chapter in the Nordics and environs had mobilised in advance. Thus, had the Nazis been abandoned to fend for themselves, it would have gotten ugly, and they could very well have been butchered, like is often the case in this city. Not that they ever seem to be very grateful nor kind towards their guardian angels in riot-gear.

The thing is, the Nazis had been assigned a route and told to stick to it. The police had cordoned that particular street (and surrounding neighbourhoods), in preparation. Then, before they could begin the march proper, the Nazis stormed a police line in order to break through and march on a different path. Why they did so is unclear. Some claim they were hit by stones from nearby counter-protesters, others that they did not plan to obey the police on the matter at all.
Well, long story shortened, they were surrounded by the police on the lawn outside a service centre, and the disruptive members (including Mr. Simon Lindberg, leader of the movement) were detained. The march did not continue from there, and they were eventually ferried off so that they could begin the return-march to where they started from. Quite embarrasing, all together.

There were also scuffles between the police and groups of counter-protesters; these were attempting to break past police lines and make contact with the Nazis. The most violent (and pictured) scuffles were of this nature, when activists tried to force a way into the area in which the Nazis had been corraled, partly because the police were attempting to expand that area further.

What I find quite uplifting is that this has been a rather ordinary early autumn Saturday, in many respects. The weather was fantastic, a last hurrah of the fading summer, and I believe many people (including me) decided to do their damndest to make the most of it, disturbances or not. Indeed, the city amusement park (which was effectively just across the street from the main area of disturbances) remained open as usual throughout, only temporarily closing their main entrance when the fight between the police and the counter-protest activists broke out. While it was not exactly a surprise that activists would come rolling in to put a stop to the Nazi's plans, it is reassuring that so many perfectly ordinary citizens decided to turn up en-masse to tell the Nazis, in no uncertain terms, to bugger off.
I had a surprisingly lovely day, in fact. Once it became clear that were was nothing further to contribute (unless I would like to join in and throw stones at the police for not allowing me to get inside the Nazi play-pen, which I do not care to do), and my display of displeasure was no longer required, I went to the pub and had a few drinks in the sun instead. I was not the only one who did so. Indeed, with all the events and circumstance of the day, it felt more like an odd carneval, at times. Particularly when the Clowns Against Nazism (proper clowns, not DF-clowns, I fear) went past.

Hats off, in particular, for the police. They did an excellent work, both in responding to a situation slipping out of their hands and ensuring it did not go uglier than it had. A worse police response could easily have caused a riot proper. Not particularly fun job, mind, but they did it well.

Come on, please don't equate genocide with being an opponent of immigration.

Quite... That comparison is rather unwieldy. A severe problem is not made less so simply because it gives the Nazis a powerful whine-vector. The immigration policies and their results the last decade or so have been a hideous shamble, and even if it is a well-whipped Nazi hobby-horse, it is no less true because of it. But, being idiot enough to throw one's lot with the Nazis for the sake of steering up the failed migration is of course rather like burning down one's house to sort out the damp, now that we speak in comparisons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: September 30, 2017, 03:07:07 pm »

@immigration stuff and far-right stuff: Immigrants are just a convenient foil for those raging about the same reasons that they voted for Trump, voted Macron, and voted Brexit. Immigration wouldn't be the only reason why there is the dissatisfaction and the appearance of neonazis gaining a degree of momentum.

Anyhow, that Catalan referendum is tomorrow, so, it remains to be seen how that stuff will go.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: September 30, 2017, 03:46:03 pm »

@immigration stuff and far-right stuff: Immigrants are just a convenient foil for those raging about the same reasons that they voted for Trump, voted Macron, and voted Brexit. Immigration wouldn't be the only reason why there is the dissatisfaction and the appearance of neonazis gaining a degree of momentum.

Yeah, no. Don't even begin to compare Swedish and American immigration situations. They are nothing alike.

As for why the immigration policies have fed the extreme right  (Beyond just actual neonazis), that's because nobody else has dared speak about the problems caused by said policies. Remember, the Sweden Democrats (far right party grown out of literal neonazis in the 90's, now at least supposedly not neonazi any longer) is one of the most popular parties among immigrants. I'm fairly certain that this is simply because they're the only mainstream party who speaks about these things at all, even if they're actively hostile to the immigrants themselves.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: September 30, 2017, 03:59:01 pm »

Yeah, no. Don't even begin to compare Swedish and American immigration situations. They are nothing alike.

Um, I didn't even mention Sweden. My point though is that immigration is just a common scapegoat when it isn't the only or neccesarily the main factor in feeding the extreme right.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 793