Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008525 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6870 on: October 02, 2017, 07:34:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:57:49 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: October 02, 2017, 07:42:19 am »

Completely guessing, but the first panel is "hello I can post my ballot in the election, please?"

The second panel thus, still guessing, is "wait, what are you d- hey stop!" or something.

Message being clear though. Silly Rajoy with your silly political repression.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: October 02, 2017, 07:58:08 am »

Edited, because for some reason I didn't think the first panels needed translation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: October 02, 2017, 08:00:56 am »

It didn't, I just like to make things awkward for everyone.

Visual medium, the message is pretty clear to be honest.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: October 03, 2017, 03:14:25 pm »

The king supported political repression in his speech. Not unexpected.  The only reason we put up with that inbred moron is because of the overpopulation of inbred morons in rural Castile who are happy to maintain that family of parasites and vote corrupt politicians into power. No wonder the Catalonians want to leave.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6877 on: October 04, 2017, 03:57:24 am »

oh snap

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: October 04, 2017, 04:14:38 am »

The most likely result of this would be some Northern Ireland type of occupation. Except Catalonia is much more populous than Northen Ireland (more populous than the entirety of Ireland for that matter), and Spain is militarily much weaker than Britain. And remember, Britain failed to hold onto Ireland despite being an undisputed world superpower at the time who didn't really have to deal with global media and popular opinion.

This isn't something that's necessarily going to go the Spanish government's way. Remember that controlling a territory and it's people is much more than just military might. Catalonia is actually a very mountainous region. I wouldn't be at all surprised if things devolved into the Spanish controlling the area around Barcelona, with Catalan loyalists in the mountainous regions.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:34:26 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: October 04, 2017, 05:33:15 am »

Sweet jesus it very much wont come to that. Once again, where are you getting your news?

This is not Civil War Mk II no matter how much some people here seem to be having wet dreams about that. This is a softer rehasal of what went on in the Basque Country in the 80s and 90s (in fact a Basque journalist quipped that this whole ordeal was like Stranger Things for Basque millennials: it kind of reminds us of our childhood).   I think at worst we're talking about the same kind of issues (eg: radicals relaunching Terra Lliure or something like that), smoldering violence for a few years, and then a settlement.  Hopefully it wont even come to that, and after a show of holding a kangaroo trial for the more visible heads of the referendum, both parties will skip the insanity of political violence and come to a settlement directly after a few months. The finance minister hinted as much, Europe is pressing in that direction, and it's what  JxSi really wants anyway (regardless of the rhetoric), so its the most likely outcome.

As a sidenote: I've become more sympathethic to nationalist positions over the last few days... but eeh, it has been happening slowly over the last ten years, anyway.      The suckiness of national politics will do that. Really, if they dont like that our people are growing increasingly disenchanted with the idea of Spain, maybe they should stop treating our cultures like a foreign other?  Spain off started as a personal union of several different kingdoms, and it really only works if the cultures of those places get proper respect. Even our most virulently conservative rulers understood that. It was only with Franco that they started with this bullshit of Spain being "One". Before him even autocratic monarchs styled themselves "King of the SpainS" (emphasis of the plural) and swore to respect the customs of each territory.

As another sidenote: this is also the reason I oppose a fusion with Portugal, an idea which is popular with irredentist Castilians and with a surprisingly high number of Portuguese people.  Because in principle I like the idea of a federal Iberian Republic. I honestly regard all the different peoples of the Iberian Peninsula as brethen, and think that (under non abusive circumstances ) a Federal Iberian Republic would be a good thing. But in practice I dont see any way the central goverment wouldn't disrespect the Portuguese in the same way they disrespect us, or the Catalonians, for that matter. Unfortunatedly central Spain (with the relative exception of Madrid) has a disproportionately high amount of Francoism nostalgics who insist that their culture is the only genuine one , thst Valladolid is the best city in the world, and that bullfighting is the best thing since sliced bread.  So, no, I very much dont want the Portuguese to put up with that shit

Another sidenote: said Francoist holdouts have a huuuge chip on their shoulder about the Catalonian language.

Well guess what: Catalonian, Spanish, and Portuguese are largely mutually intelligible. If you speak slowly in one of them, speakers of the others will understand most of what you're saying. So, yeah, one more example of cultural disrespect from people that really should know better.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:00:29 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: October 04, 2017, 06:13:45 am »

Lord of the Seven Spains, King of the Castilians, the Catalans, and the Basque Men, Protector of the Realm.

As another sidenote: this is also the reason I oppose a fusion with Portugal, an idea which is popular with irredentist Castilians and with a surprisingly high number of Portuguese people.  Because in principle I like the idea of a federal Iberian Republic. I honestly regard all the different peoples of the Iberian Peninsula as brethen, and think that (under non abusive circumstances ) a Federal Iberian Republic would be a good thing. But in practice I dont see any way the central goverment wouldn't disrespect the Portuguese in the same way they disrespect us, or the Catalonians, for that matter. Unfortunatedly central Spain (with the relative exception of Madrid) has a disproportionately high amount of Francoism nostalgics who insist that their culture is the only genuine one , thst Valladolid is the best city in the world, and that bullfighting is the best thing since sliced bread.  So, no, I very much dont want the Portuguese to put up with that shit.

Don't worry, sooner or later the pan-European nationalism project of the EU will make your troubles with Madrid moot.
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: October 04, 2017, 07:09:25 am »

Don't worry, sooner or later the pan-European nationalism project of the EU will make your troubles with Madrid moot.
Article 50 intensifies
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: October 04, 2017, 08:18:21 am »

The most likely result of this would be some Northern Ireland type of occupation. Except Catalonia is much more populous than Northen Ireland (more populous than the entirety of Ireland for that matter), and Spain is militarily much weaker than Britain. And remember, Britain failed to hold onto Ireland despite being an undisputed world superpower at the time who didn't really have to deal with global media and popular opinion.
Interestingly, IRA forces were actually quite clever in their approach towards world opinion, because they knew that any unleashed British Army was more powerful than the IRA if not checked in as many ways as possible.  As such, Michael Collins and the IRA as a whole certainly tapped both international media (a truly global media not existing yet in a modern sense) and British popular opinion in order to open an entire second front, to the point where the Revolutionary Dáil included a Minister of Publicity (Robert Erskine Childers).  As such, the British certainly had to deal with popular opinion for dealing with Ireland as a whole, and the Irish certainly benefited from it in raising funds, materiel, and volunteers.  While the war of public opinion was still in its relative infancy in this era, the fact that the IRA was more than willing to publicize every British atrocity the British were obliging enough to provide played a considerable role in adding to quiet US pressure on the British to resolve the "Irish problem," as well as causing domestic fissures in the ruling coalition between pro-Home Rule Liberals and anti-Home Rule Tories.  The PR disasters that resulted as a consequence of the Black and Tans were quite considerable. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:25:00 am by Culise »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: October 04, 2017, 12:52:36 pm »

I laughed.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6884 on: October 04, 2017, 01:10:15 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/03/amber-rudd-viewers-of-online-terrorist-material-face-15-years-in-jail
WAKE ME UP
WAKE ME UP INSIDE
CAN'T WAKE UP
WAKE ME UP INSIDE
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

* Loud Whispers has been moved to Channel Fort 5 for seditious shitposting
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 793